Why is the 3717 so popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the 3717 so popular?

Imnotice this is easily the most popular iwc model. I would even dare guess that it's more popular than the bp.

Why is this so? Can fellowm3717 owners or enthusiasts share its appeal?
    I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
    http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

( Maybe it's the overpriced ETA Mvmt inside..... hahahaha. )

I often wonder the same thing on this piece..... Sure it looks really really good - but IS WAY over priced IMO for a movement you could buy raw for USD $465-658 depending on finishing level ( yes thats what the 7750 Movement cost in 2008 ).
    ROLEX.

Comment

Originally posted by Dfive View Post
      ( Maybe it's the overpriced ETA Mvmt inside..... hahahaha. )

I often wonder the same thing on this piece..... Sure it looks really really good - but IS WAY over priced IMO for a movement you could buy raw for USD $465-658 depending on finishing level ( yes thats what the 7750 Movement cost in 2008 ).
      Why then did you waste your money on the breitling and oris?
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

IMO, as a owner-wannabe, its from its simple, clean, yet striking design face. Can foresee this will be one of the IWC classics!

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
          Why then did you waste your money on the breitling and oris?
          Breitling cost me $2.5 new from AD.... my friend owns Watches of Switzerland in Perth.... its my hack watch & I wanted a hack watch for diving, and its prob now too worn to sell off ( otherwise I would I guess ).

Oris was a gift from a mate... limited to 500pc as I know. ( will never sell a gift off... it's low. )

Good enough for you ?
          ROLEX.

Comment

Originally posted by Dfive View Post
            Breitling cost me $2.5 new from AD.... my friend owns Watches of Switzerland in Perth.... its my hack watch & I wanted a hack watch for diving, and its prob now too worn to sell off ( otherwise I would I guess ).

Oris was a gift from a mate... limited to 500pc as I know. ( will never sell a gift off... it's low. )

Good enough for you ?
            It's not about me, so long you happy can liao.

Likewise, many people in this forum who spend thousands on watches know what they are getting and are happy with their choices. Horology is not always the most important thing when we buy a watch, and value of a watch does not derive solely from value of the movement. "Expensive" and "over-price" is relative. Who is to say that a 5K watch with ETA movement is over-priced and a 10K/20K watch with in-house movement is not? Do most people who buy watches with in-house movement actually understand how different is that particular movement vs an ETA?

I am of the same opinion that a PAM with ETA 6497 based movement is over-priced, but I have had serveral of them - coz there is something in PAM that you can't have in other watches.

I suspect many members here are as stupid as me and probably have one or two over-priced ETA watches in their collection. But then again, the poors don't buy over-priced products do they?

Oh ya, by the way, I am getting a 3717 soon as my hack watch.

Comment

Some reasons why 3717 is popular, I think...
              - iconic design
              - versatile (can be casual or dressy, go with bracelet or strap)
              - one of the cheaper chrono among iwc (the port chrono which uses same movement cost abt 2k more)
              - right size (42mm neither too big nor small for most)

Comment

I have a 3717 too. It's a really nice and versatile watch. It looks really beautiful, in fact i prefer it over the other iwc models. Also, the price is considered to be reasonable for an IWC watch. No surprise that it's so popular...

Comment

I own a piece of 3717. No regret!

Comment

I think first most is the 3717 design is nice.

Mostly goes to brand and "QC" mod.

There are other brand that use ETA and list 20k.

A good reliable non in house with good design <10k is acceptable to most people.

Better than a 30k in house with only date function that stalls.
                    Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

I started with a Sinn Flieger and then to the IWC 3717. Not too pricey, can serve as dress or casual watch, good size at 42mm, is a chrono, IWC branding - still one of my all time favourite IWC. At that size, my wife can wear it too. Not everyone can carry a 46mm Big Pilot plus the BP cost about 3 times more.
                      PP 5726 leather for work
                      PP 5167 for smart casual

And for my Mrs
                      PP 7018 IA (Blue face)
                      PP 5067 (Black face)
                      PP 5067 (White face)

Comment

The BP is nice too, but its size too big for many. Being in-house movement, its price also makes it not so accessible to some.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Sim View Post
                          I started with a Sinn Flieger and then to the IWC 3717. Not too pricey, can serve as dress or casual watch, good size at 42mm, is a chrono, IWC branding - still one of my all time favourite IWC. At that size, my wife can wear it too. Not everyone can carry a 46mm Big Pilot plus the BP cost about 3 times more.
                          Haha we are saying the same thing for both 3717 and BP.

Comment

Like to have one too 3717-01. Prefer the black.

Yeah BP is nice but too big for my puny wrist.
                            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                              Like to have one too 3717-01. Prefer the black.

Yeah BP is nice but too big for my puny wrist.
                              Bro, 3717 is black. As far as I know it comes in black dial only.
                              I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
                              http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X