bezel; quick set date
    Movement: Self-winding ETA 2824-2;28,800 vibrations per hour;
    25 jewels; Incabloc shock absorption; power reserve 40 hours
    Case: Submarine steel, sand-blasted; tegimented steel hardened to
    1500HV; sapphire crystal AR-coated, 3.5 mm thick
    Band and clasp: Silicone rubber strap; secure folding deployant clasp
    Dimensions: Diameter = 44 mm; height = 14.35 mm;
    weight: 170 grams with strap and clasp; lug to lug 22mm

First impression, the U1 rocks, big time. Mind you, this is one huge chunky piece, yet it looks absolutely clean and elegant. I believe the elegance comes from its simple and uncluttered minimalist design. There are other variations (eg U1 Black, TEMPUS U1, SDR etc), but the classic U1 works for me. The ultra flat crystal is flushed to the same level as the bezel, hence gives a very uniform appearance. At times I even feel the crystal is not on the watch and I could touch the dial directly. This is due to the effective double AR-coatings. The dial has a pitch black matt finishing, which emits a deep glowing effect. It contrasts really well with the pure white markers and hands. The red literature on the dial says 'U1 Automatic' and underwater rating '1000m/100bar'. In addition, the newer 2010 version says 'Made in Germany' at the 6oclock position.

Looks aside, the U1 is a no-nonsense tool watch. Its tough. It looks tough and it sure feels tough. The case and bezel is not your usual 316L; it is actually tegimented special corrosion-resistant submarine steel (specially developed and used by the German Navy). The very same material that is used for the German 212 class nuclear subs. This alloy has peculiar properties indeed: it is antimagnetic, extremely resistant to sea water corrosion, and way harder than the classic 316L steel used by most other brands.

The watch weighs 170grams with the strap and clasp, and you almost constantly feel the presence of the U1 on the wrist. I like this substantial yet comfortable feel, the way any serious diving watch should be. The bezel turns very solidly on a 60-click per rotation. Crown screws down tightly, and is located at a unique 4oclock position.

Inside the U1, the movement is the ETA cal. 2824-2. Though not a COSC-certified Chronometer, it is surprisingly accurate. I timed the U1 on my iphone over 24hour, it loses only 3seconds, which is just within the COSC requirements! Although not necessary, I reckon it will be a nice option to have it COSC-certified and include the 'COSC Chronometer' wordings on the dial.

The only dislike i have for this watch is the external AR coating. Like all watches with external AR coats, it is ultra prone to scratches. I reckon once i have collected enough scratches on the crystal AR coat, i will send the watch to have the external AR removed (any local third party watch service shops can do this). The crystal will look brand new again.

At the current price tag of sg$3,700 with the usual 30% discount = sg$2,590nett (The Hour Glass, July2012), this is one very well-made value-for-money no-nonsense diving watch.

i owned the normal U1, Tempus, Black and white version before. No joke, its good. But the price had been rising and i don't think its value for money anymore le....

Comment

sg$2,590 considered quite good value given the build, design and quality + local AD hourglass
      i heard if you bought it direct in europe, cost sg$2,350 only (+with 15% VAT rebate = sg$2,000nett!)

saw some gray dealers selling bnib U1s at sg$2,300 recently at sgroc garage... now you know their profit margin

Comment

Oh... So you bought urs recently?

Same like you, i dislike the external AR coating. U1 is a very soild watch but when i wear mine, i really take care of it alot as compared to my other watches.

Comment

Oh dear! after reading your review here and your sizing of rubber strap. It make me miss my ex U1 alot... Jialat....

Comment

can consider own one again..

Originally posted by Zhi_Peng View Post
            Oh dear! after reading your review here and your sizing of rubber strap. It make me miss my ex U1 alot... Jialat....

Comment

Just bought my sinn U1 two weeks ago but still waiting for the right moment to wear. Love the simplistic look but my wife says it's ugly... Some women doesn't know anything about watches...
              Watches kept for the next generation...
              Rolex Oyster Perpetual Circa 1999
              Rolex Explorer II 216570 G-Series
              Omega Speedmaster Date
              Sinn U1

Comment

Originally posted by hoshi8 View Post
                Just bought my sinn U1 two weeks ago but still waiting for the right moment to wear. Love the simplistic look but my wife says it's ugly... Some women doesn't know anything about watches...
                They juz dun get it....love my U1
                Those who care won't need your explanation, those who need explanation probably won't believe you

Comment

Maybe can ask youe wife read this review see if it can change her view

Comment

wow the price sure went up drastically over a span of 2 years

but great watch you have there!
                    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Not only sinn, price of other europe watches also keep increasing

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                      wow the price sure went up drastically over a span of 2 years

but great watch you have there!

Comment

beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder..

I love the simple no frill look.
                        Tag Heuer 2000 Professional Chronograph
                        Tag Heuer Formula 1
                        Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual 16234
                        Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual 116234
                        Rolex GMT II 16710
                        Sinn U1 SDR

Comment

nice watch!

heard if you get from Germany, it is 50% spore retail prices!
                          Haves
                          Pam 25
                          Pam 328
                          Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch - Apollo 11 "40th anniversary" limited edition
                          Sinn Regulateur 6100
                          Rolex Explorer II ref 216570
                          IWC Top Gun pilot 44mm ref W378901
                          Rolex Daytona 116520
                          Rolex Tudor Mini-Sub ref 73090
                          Cartier Santos 100 Stainless Steel Large W20073X8
                          JLC Reverso 976
                          Tudor Heritage Black Bay Bronze
                          IWC Portugese 7 day blue dial

Wants
                          AP ROO Panda
                          ALS Lange 1 (+/-moon phase)
                          PP Nautilus Annual Calendar

Comment

Thg retails at sg3,800
                            Half of retail is sg1,900
                            saw some gray dealers in Sgroc asking sg2,300 for bnib
                            Guess their profit is hence sg400?

Comment

Just heard frm my bro's frd he went to the Frankfurt Sinn House to bought some U1 & U2 few days ago.
                              I tot of getting a U2 but Sinn just chg their purchasing policy, every walk-in only allow 1 timepiece per purchase.
                              Is that's truth ???
                              New ROLEXY on the Blog

Wishlist
                              1) Yach-Master (16622)
                              2) Explorer II - Black/White (216570)
                              3) Submariner TTc (116613LB)

Madness
                              The ITCH is getting worse & incurable

Repentance
                              I let go my beloved U-Series Sub (16610) for the newcomers.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X