No announcement yet.

Are JLC not that popular in SG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI can Anyone advise on how much it costs to service and polish a Reverso at Richemont?

Comment

Never entered a JLC boutique in SG before, but I do make it a point to visit any JLC boutiques I encounter when I'm overseas. Never really liked the feeling when I enter a shop in SG. Feels like I can't just look around at my own leisure, but I have to buy something. Hah, its either my misplaced expectation or deep down I really just want to make a purchase.

Comment

Went down to the JLC boutique at MBS. Pretty sure I won't be buying the brand locally. I was quoted 24.3k for the cermet tribute, and 16.7k for the Grande reverso calendar. Discount was a stiff 5%. Compare that with prices overseas and there's so much more margin.

What makes things worse is that a lot of the better pieces are boutique exclusives. Go down to Sincere at raffles city and look at their woefully small JLC collection and you'll know what I mean.

Time to take my business elsewhere.

Comment

I got 2 interesting JLC pieces from local AD and pretty decent discount - Extreme Lab 2 and Master Minute Repeater.

Comment

JLCs are great. Although I was recently offered just over $1k for a two year old Grand Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931 by the guy at Chrono Exchange in Far East Plaza. Either my estimation of the brand is too high or this guy was simply taking the piss.

Comment

I agree the salespeople in Singapore watch boutiques could do more to make a visitor feel welcome. I always feel like a dozen pairs of suspicious eyes are following my every move.

Comment

I was offered $1k for a two year old Grand Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931 by the guy at Chrono Exchange, Far East Plaza. Not sure if that reflects poor resale value or just an ignorant watch shop owner.

Comment

Personally, i have much respect on JLC than any other labels in the local market. The reason is simple, they make movements, and they have the innovations and engineering history than the popular ones like Rolex*, IWC, Panerai as well as others who buy movements, mod it, put in into their produce, then make their names more "blinky".
                  *(some may not agree... however there is part of a history that Rolex bought over a movement company and label the movements not developed by Rolex, as their own.)

However, in the local watch collecting scene, when in comes to purely as hobby, JLC is too much expensive to buy, too expensive to sell.

Ask yourself this question, if you have 50k to spend on a timepiece, would you spend on a JLC, or a Blancpain, or a PP, or several pieces of Rolex/IWCs/Pannies(Panerais are getting less love nowadays... notice?)?
                  The cost of servicing often haunts watch collectors, not to mention the value it holds as well as how a piece you acquire can sell off fast when you met with financial trouble...

Some folks who may have saw my previous posts on those general consumer grade stuffs, will find it a little... weird why am i commenting on this thread. But this is the true fact in life that i see in the local scene. Watches, timepieces, collecting, hobby, are not just simple words that comes out from our mind and mouth anymore. Appreciation on the complexity and engineering in horology is often challenged by other more practical thing in life that surrounds us. 50k on a watch?
                  Perhaps yes... if i come from a family with 3 meals served with all gold utensils.
                  Unfortunately, in real life, i would rather use that 50k to top up on upsizing the space where i'll be living in.

Comment

I agree that occasionally salespeople in Singapore could offer better service, but on the other hand I have had experiences where I met sales staff that were completely obliging and highly courteous.

Having lived in Asia since 2006 but also in North Europe for 2 1/2 yrs, I can say that overall the level of service and knowledge from sales staff in Singapore is pretty good. People with attitude we meet everywhere, but the knowledge and interest in watches is quite good in Singapore - and the sales force follows this trend as well in my honest opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed.YEO View Post
                      Ask yourself this question, if you have 50k to spend on a timepiece, would you spend on a JLC, or a Blancpain, or a PP, or several pieces of Rolex/IWCs/Pannies(Panerais are getting less love nowadays... notice?)?
                      I don't know about others, but I would have to say that I'll spend that 50k getting a JLC MUT Perpetual and a Reverso or 2. JLC's watches just seem to strike a chord with me.

Comment

I started down the path of watch appreciation because of JLC. My first serious time piece was the Reverso Grande Date Sincere LE, and all because JLC held a workshop years back at Taka, where people could register to tinker around with their movements under the careful tutelage of JLC watch techs flown down from Switzerland. That was a totally memorable experience.

Comment

would love to own a Reverso
                          TAG Heuer Formula 1 Grande Date 42 WAU1110.FT6024
                          Omega Speedmaster Professional 42 MM 3573.50
                          Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Ultra Thin 2788520
                          Casio A168WA-1YES
                          Hublot Chelsea Classic Fusion 521.NX.7119.LR.CFC16
                          NOMOS Glashütte Tangente 139
                          Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167A-001

Comment

I don't think this is due to the service standards at the MBS boutique. I was there recently to look for a JLC watch, and as I am that type who is obsessed with the weight of my watches, I ask the SE for the weight information. The website does not have this info, and neither does the SE. So, she brought along a digital weighing scale the next day, and whatsapp me the picture of the watch on the weighing scale! I thought this is an exceptional service and this act must be commended .

Back to TS's question - I think Singaporeans at large generally love Rolex. It could be a legacy thing, effects of "winners" advertisements, and the perceived sell-on value of Rolex watches. I think Rolex makes very robust and functional watches, but JLC is the manufacturers' watch-makers that goes way back. Even the likes of PP, AP and VC use JLC's movements. I think more respect should be given to JLC watches.

Comment

In my humble opinion, a Rolex is just a piece of jewellery that the salary man must own to value his worth once he’s made it halfway through the corporate ladder. You can’t go wrong experimenting your first watch with a Rolex.

Comment

Individual preferences

It boils down to individual preferences. But the power of advertisement cannot be ignored...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X