Maintainece of Seiko watches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintainece of Seiko watches

Hi ppl, just curious if any of you (Seiko Lovers) send yur seiko watches of at least 5 years old for servicing?

Cuz currently i have 1 Seiko SNN011P which is already a good 6 years old (working great and in good physical condition) and hve yet to change a battery...thus i wonder if it needs servicing?

Two schools of thought when it comes to servicing of watches - one says service only when it breaks down; the other says service at reasonable, regular intervals. In your case, since it's already passed the fifth year mark, you may want to send in for service if you choose the second school of thought.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

low beat watches don't need as regular servicing as high beat ones. this is the same reason why a rolex 15xx movement can go for long periods without servicing.

if you have the proper know-how and tools, you can self-regulate your own seiko watch until it is no longer viable to "regulate" before servicing it... well, that's what i do to mine!
      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by jflye View Post
        Hi ppl, just curious if any of you (Seiko Lovers) send yur seiko watches of at least 5 years old for servicing?

Cuz currently i have 1 Seiko SNN011P which is already a good 6 years old (working great and in good physical condition) and hve yet to change a battery...thus i wonder if it needs servicing?

SNN? Quartz Chrono? How to service?

It's the mechanical movements that needs to go thru maintenance, not quartz.
        If your mechanical SEIKO is a high priced piece, paying more than $100 to go for service on your low priced watches could be a waste... unless that particular cheapie is backed with some sentimental elements... such as your love first gift or something like that.

Comment

If the cost of the watch and no sentimetal value is low, can try do diy.

Comment

Anyone knows how much a typical service for a Seiko 5 movement costs? These watches typically just goes for a few hundred and Swiss movements typically services for a few hundreds too. I mean I do not think the effort of servicing a Seiko is any much less than that of a Swiss though the movement prices may very quite largely.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioh View Post
              Anyone knows how much a typical service for a Seiko 5 movement costs?
              Personally, for a $200+ watch I wouldn't bother. From 200-500, I'd take it in only if I have a problem with it. The sweet thing about mechanical watches from Seiko is that you could probably get parts very easily for it and a regular servicing for nothing more than just keeping to a service schedule is a tad pointless. If you went to TS to device, I'd expect it to not be worthwhile, especially if you've a number of watches.

For the $1000+ watches, I'd say it's up to you. I'd read about a Seiko diver that ran for more than 20years with no servicing and still kept good time. So I guess your mileage will vary.

Like the adage goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
              SO MANY WATCHES, SO LITTLE TIME.

Comment

the only thing required for quartz watch for me is replace battery when is dead and regularly change the seal rings, just to keep my water resist

Comment

called SEIKO up to check out how much it is to service my 10 year old Seiko kinetic. service price range is from $100-$150. about 3 weeks to get it back. change capacitor, polish, and clean watch etc. wonder if I can get any lower price elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TaVeLeR View Post
                    called SEIKO up to check out how much it is to service my 10 year old Seiko kinetic. service price range is from $100-$150. about 3 weeks to get it back. change capacitor, polish, and clean watch etc. wonder if I can get any lower price elsewhere.
                    K2?

Comment

The price is not too bad considering you service a swiss brand for $500

Comment

Originally posted by TaVeLeR View Post
                        I think in this case if u like the watch no harm spending as it will come back like new. A brand new kinetic will set u back 400 or so anyway. Not sure if smaller watch shops can service a kinetic though?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X