The Omega Master Co-Axial calibres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Omega Master Co-Axial calibres

An Omega fan or not, you should learn this new term - Master Co-Axial.

It is a new name given to the new series of Omega Co-Axial calibres that can withstand magnetic field up to 15,000 gauss, or 1,200,000 a/m. To give you an idea, both the Rolex Milgauss and IWC Ingenieur are magnetic resistant up to 1,000 gauss (only).

This super anti-magnetic technology was introduced in the model "Seamaster Aqua Terra > 15,000 gauss" last year, but I guess Omega either had not decided on adding the word "master" to such calibres or intentionally delayed the use of the new name in order to market the Seamaster AT anti-magnetic watch as a special model with such unique strength.

During this Baselworld, Omega is launching a series of Master Co-Axial models in four different Master Co-Axial calibres. By 2016, all Omega calibres will be the Master Co-Axial!

Now, who needs a three-colour Rolex Milgauss?
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

In case you wonder what make the difference between the classic anti-magnetic solution (as in the case of Rolex/IWC) and the Omega's, here is the explanation on Omega website:

The technology developed by a team of ETA, Asulab, Nivarox FAR and OMEGA engineers led to the first prototype of the movement. Unlike other efforts to combat the effects of magnetism, the OMEGA movement does not rely on a protective container inside the watchcase but on the use of selected non-ferromagnetic materials in the movement itself. Several patents are pending for the new movement which, even after exposure to a magnetic field greater than 15,000 gauss, still performs at a chronometric level as defined by COSC.

That definitely makes the COSC spec a lot more meaningful, if you ask me.

Comment

Thanks pal, the the insightful infor. Will certainly look out for this.. cheers.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the info...

Comment

Originally posted by Lester View Post
          Thanks pal, the the insightful infor. Will certainly look out for this.. cheers.
          Originally posted by Billy76 View Post
          Thanks for sharing the info...
          My pleasure

Comment

It seems to me - as ignorant as I am of the ins and outs of watchmaking - that the trend is for the top brands (including Rolex) to move towards higher retail pricing by offering their popular models in precious metals (a case in point is the new Pepsi GMT in white gold). Who knows, we may even see a greater number of diamond-crusted bezels and dials -for men's watches - in the future.

My point is this: is Omega taking "the road less traveled" by offering serious horological achievements instead of going upmarket with precious metal pieces? Will they be able to achieve dominance a la Rolex (their ostensible target) in this manner?

I know Omega has gold models; it is just that some of their recent offerings are more 'technologically-inclined'. That said, I am a fan of Omega, and do not wish them anything other than success.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghaied View Post
              It seems to me - as ignorant as I am of the ins and outs of watchmaking - that the trend is for the top brands (including Rolex) to move towards higher retail pricing by offering their popular models in precious metals (a case in point is the new Pepsi GMT in white gold). Who knows, we may even see a greater number of diamond-crusted bezels and dials -for men's watches - in the future.

My point is this: is Omega taking "the road less traveled" by offering serious horological achievements instead of going upmarket with precious metal pieces? Will they be able to achieve dominance a la Rolex (their ostensible target) in this manner?

I know Omega has gold models; it is just that some of their recent offerings are more 'technologically-inclined'. That said, I am a fan of Omega, and do not wish them anything other than success.
              Not sure about offering popular models in precious metals being the trend (or being anything new at all), but this latest technological invention of Omega that will greatly improve the consistency of timekeeping is in my opinion a breakthrough not only in horology aspect, but also in term of relevance to the consumers as opposed to many other modern innovations of watches (say, a water resistant of few thousand meters that compromise the thickness/aesthetic of the watch).

Obviously, by gradually rolling out the Master Co-Axial to all its in-house movements, Omega is intending to fully utilize this unique and quite extra-ordinary feature as the foundation to try (again) to improve the brand and gain more shares in the rather congested luxury watch market. In order for these to really happen, their design dept and marketing dept need to step up too, though.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X