Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Patek watches

Hey guys,

Some questions about Patek watches in general.

1. Why are Patek watches not so popular in Singapore. What I meant is why are there not much discussions about it compared to other watches like Rolex, Panerai, etc.

2. How does Patek watches hold its value compared to those brands stated above. I supposed how well it hold value depends on how popular it is for collectors?

3. Anything to look out for specifically if I want to buy a used Patek?

Basically, I have over the years bought the more mainstream watches like Rolex, Panerai, IWC, etc. I am not keen on loud watches like AP,etc. and the Patek Calatrava range really caught my attention. It is a double edged sword.. its simple and unassuming to be beautiful, yet some might question is it too little a watch to warrant such price.

Let me know your thoughts please.

The way i see it...
    1. Pricey, because of complication.
    2. Pricey, because of it's targeted consumer group.
    3. Pricey, because of lack on option when it comes to after sales service, especially when warranty expired.
    4. Pricey, because of less common parts, as well as not so conventional movement engineering design, that requires seriously well trained watchmaker to deal with servicing.
    5. Last but not least... Pricey again... can buy a certain portion of a HDB flat that can last much longer...

Comment

Originally posted by rolexloverwatchlover View Post
      1. Why are Patek watches not so popular in Singapore. What I meant is why are there not much discussions about it compared to other watches like Rolex, Panerai, etc.

2. How does Patek watches hold its value compared to those brands stated above. I supposed how well it hold value depends on how popular it is for collectors?

3. Anything to look out for specifically if I want to buy a used Patek?

Basically, I have over the years bought the more mainstream watches like Rolex, Panerai, IWC, etc. I am not keen on loud watches like AP,etc. and the Patek Calatrava range really caught my attention. It is a double edged sword.. its simple and unassuming to be beautiful, yet some might question is it too little a watch to warrant such price.
      1. my take is people don't buy patek watches to "stand out" or show off their wealth - there are other brands that do this much better. i assume most buyers know they are buying into a generally well regarded brand and watch that can fly under the radar, and the profile of such people doesn't require them to do much "internet discussion" prior to dropping, say 30k, on an "entry level" PP...

also, since singapore's an asian country with mostly chinese people... they may prefer other brands.

2. hard to say, depends on model. suffice to say, they will do "okay" in the long run (>10 years) if you don't include PP servicing costs. otherwise, buying pre-owned is a good good guarantee you will lose little when you re-sell...

3. well, a recent service would be beneficial as it adds some form of peace of mind to the next owner. the gold weight can wear out and is expensive to replace (even with "trade in") so i would not touch a piece that "sounds" wrong or one that has spent most of its life on an auto-winder... i would also prefer an unpolished watch - this is usually optional and will be stated in PP service if carried out.

some older models may be a little smaller in diameter but offer good value for money if you have small wrists. to start: you will find a nice 3445 selling pre-owned for about 9-12k USD. some would have had a full service and re-seal. it's a great introduction to patek because of its size, design, reliable movement, date and water resistance.

finally... there are plenty of other brands/models that may satisfy your demands if you feel it's not suitable (right now anyway) for you.
      Last edited by taxico; 16-08-14, 08:26 PM.
      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I also realize that there are not many cavatrava for sale in Singapore.

Any idea how many are made each year?

Servicing sounds a pricey affair. Also heard that authenticating will take a few months to get the records?

Comment

I also realize that there are not many cavatrava for sale in Singapore.

Any idea how many are made each year?

Servicing sounds a pricey affair. Also heard that authenticating will take a few months to get the records?
          servicing cost is $2K for simple three-hander PP.

Not sure about the production volume.

Authenticity for most watches - if you're referring to the engine, simply bring the watch to the official service centre for a full service quote. If proven some of the parts are not original, then you know on the spot. Most watch brands (including PP) keep record of their watches sold/customers so they can check against their system just based on watch case number. Unless you want an authenticity paper from PP, then yes they'll send back to Switzerland office and it'll take months. Local service office doesn't provide the papers.
          I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
          A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
          Audemars Piguet ROO
          Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
          De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
          Habring2 Pilot Time Date
          Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
          Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
          IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
          Panerai 270
          Patek Philippe 5711/1a
          Rolex 116610LV
          Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

I saw a 5196 that a second hand shop is selling. Do I need to being it to the service centre to authenticate if papers are already available? Not sure if they will agree to that...

Also for a 5196, the case back is not sapphire see through but rather it's polished case. Where can I see the serial number for this watch?

Thanks.

Comment

I saw a 5196 that a second hand shop is selling. Do I need to being it to the service centre to authenticate if papers are already available? Not sure if they will agree to that...

Also for a 5196, the case back is not sapphire see through but rather it's polished case. Where can I see the serial number for this watch?

Thanks.
              serial number should be on the movement and inside the case probably.

After you've paid for the watch, bring to service centre to check immediately. If there's anything amiss, then you can bring back the watch to the shop on the same day
              I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
              A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
              Audemars Piguet ROO
              Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
              De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
              Habring2 Pilot Time Date
              Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
              Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
              IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
              Panerai 270
              Patek Philippe 5711/1a
              Rolex 116610LV
              Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
                serial number should be on the movement and inside the case probably.

After you've paid for the watch, bring to service centre to check immediately. If there's anything amiss, then you can bring back the watch to the shop on the same day
                Thanks very much for the sound advice.

Comment

Thanks very much for the sound advice.
                  Bro,

congrats on your new collection 😄
                  You Never Actually Own A Patek Philippe. You Merely Take Care Of It For The Next Generation.

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION:
                  2014 Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167/1A-001
                  2012 Rolex GMT II 116713LN Steel With Gold "G" SERIAL
                  2011 ROLEX SUBMARINER 116610LN Ceramic Bezel "V" SERIAL

HER'S:
                  Rolex Oyster Perpetual (Stainless Steel) Black Dial with Diamond Markers
                  Rolex ladies datejust 69173 (Half-Gold) Blue Dial with Diamond Markers

Comment

Handwind PP would be a good choice as maintenance is more easier and cheaper.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X