Watch Winder Review and Analysis - Part IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Winder Review and Analysis - Part IV

Below is the table of TPD vs. DIR Distribution in terms of percentages.

To know what all these mean, go to the DIY Section to understand more...

Also in PART IV, I'll explain...

- The Winding Sequence
    - The Winding Direction & TPD
    - Why is there a "REST" in the Winding Sequence

No other forums explain the concepts and principles of a watch winder but here in SG-ROC.
    Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
    • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
    • Montre de MarQue
    • Etoile D'Or
    • Hotel Indonesia
    • Glory Time
    • The Watch-Collector
    • Time Palace
    • The Swiss Connection
    • M Baker
    • Maurice Lacroix
    • Time Marques
    • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Nice write up. After reading I gain some more knowledge. So what brands of winder is recommended? I see price range for 100+ upwards. The price range very wide also.

Comment

Hi bro,

First off, just remember that a watch winder is actually NOT for winding watches but rather to maintain the state of wind in a watch.

Price is not a direct indication of a quality winder, although it gives a good gage. I've been tracking the market since 2004 and noticed many factories have since started making winders and many people have jumped the band-wagon to sell. And most buyers mistakenly buy the cheapest unit thinking a winder is just a box with a motor.

So to assist everyone in this forum, I’m giving a general check-list here…

15 Factors to consider
      a) Enclosed in a dust-free environment
      b) Each winding cycle includes a Turn-Rest-Sleep winding sequence (personal preference)
      c) Pillows that fit your watches comfortably
      d) Foam pillows are best (personal preference); some people believe spring loaded watch holders stretches their watch bands
      e) Wide slots if large buckles are used
      f) Silent operation when cover closed
      g) LED Status indication
      h) Individual single-head winders with individual controls
      i) Fully programmable with TPD and Direction Selection
      j) TPD & Direction selection delivered that suits your watches
      k) Controls up front (no need to grope behind the unit - personal preference)
      l) AC Powered; battery powered only if AC Mains not accessible or keeping in vaults
      m) Aesthetics that pleases you
      n) Delay-start function (personal preference again)
      o) Minimum of 1 Year Warranty

Perhaps you’ve missed my other postings since year 2009. Do refer to more articles in the SG-ROC DIY Section!

I don’t blame anyone for being confused when choosing a good winder. I admit being surprised myself as in today’s market, more and more winders with all sorts of features and winding sequence are up for sale.

The winders I owned thusfar are from Eilux (3 years old) and Orbita (5 years old). In future, I will get my hands on an Abest winder to evaluate its performance. I understand they make winders for Mitch & Marc, Kadloo and some other OEM brands.

I hope this helps in your selection.

~ten10~
      Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
      • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
      • Montre de MarQue
      • Etoile D'Or
      • Hotel Indonesia
      • Glory Time
      • The Watch-Collector
      • Time Palace
      • The Swiss Connection
      • M Baker
      • Maurice Lacroix
      • Time Marques
      • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

in choosing a watch winder, the points that you listed are mostly about the functions. that's key points. except these, buyer should also pay attention to the hand working of the box, are they fine quality? or poor made products. from the exterior lacquer finish to the interior lining, A beautiful handmade watch winder is not only to keep your watches on a move, it's also a luxury decroration in the room to show off your expensive automatic watches.

so the price difference depends on the quality of exterior finish and interior linning either, a poor made products can always sell cheap.

I would like to post some photos of poor handmade for ref. unfornatuely I am new here, I don't know how to post it.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
        Working...
        X