Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get such vintage or lookalike straps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get such vintage or lookalike straps?

Any idea where to get such straps and what's the price range like?

shell cordo straps i bought in that style were all 100-140 USD. custom versions were about 150-180 USD.

other leather should be cheaper, but i don't buy them.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Thks bro. Think can provide me the link?

Comment

try jan (xxxstraps) on MWR/TZ/etc, andrew (jed/jedly) on VRM, and (i think) hodinkee for ready to wear straps.
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I'll check them out for sure! Thanks!!!

Comment

Taxico, I saw some review from u back in 2012 in this forum under kopi talk as I was googling.
            Any further updates after so many years? Would u recommend for Singapore weather?

Comment

i come from a temperate climate so i perspire a lot in singapore - shell cordo is the only leather strap i can wear here for > a few months. a few years on, my strap looks much darker but does not show any sign of breaking/cracking, etc. no bad smells either. HOWEVER... the one shell cordo strap i have that is lined and stitched does smell a tiny little bit - the cotton thread (stitching)/liner material absorbs the perspiration quite easily and also the leather around the stitches have darkened (not uniformly). i do not wear it often - i assume it will eventually smell bad if i kept wearing it...

minimal stitching, unlined, is the way forward for me BUT i must add that shell cordovan is a very thin and pliable material on watch straps, so if you're wearing it on an 18k watch, it won't feel very nice or substantial enough. on a steel/TT DJ or titanium watch, it is perfect. you can request for thicker cuts if you are making a custom strap, but it is very difficult for strap makers to get them due to the costs involved.

i had to ask a family member to walk in and buy left over thick scraps/cuts directly from horween's factory and send it away to be made into a strap.

if you are looking for a similar cut/design (ie, 20x16) but in a synthetic material (like i was), please PM me - i found a supplier of NOS swiss made straps of just that design - i think it dates to 70s or 80s but shows no physical signs of material deterioration. they are also inexpensive (US$20+) i've used them for about 1+ year now on different watches, and it is wearing very well. best of all, pool friendly!

oh, before i forget... i think a big reason why the shell strap doesn't stink is because the way the shell was tanned - it is simply not very absorbent after horween's tanning process. if you want to try something thicker and cheaper that is tanned in a similar style, you can look into getting a chromexcel leather strap. i have one in my strap box but never worn so i can't comment on it right now. they are easily available to most strap makers in a lot of interesting colours.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X