Vintage Explorer I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minusplus View Post
    I think what he was referring to was the 14270 or the 114270, since he mentioned brand new in one of his posts. 1016 no have any brand new ones mah
    My bad, I think I was too focused on the pic that TS posted and got engrossed in talking abt the 1016 . Ya bro, TS should be referring to the 114270 since he talked abt a brand new piece.

Originally posted by keltzar View Post
    Aren't the framing of the 114270 white gold? I was told they are.
    I can't be 100% sure if the hour markers In Explorer are framed in steel or white gold but passion had 2 pieces recently and they described both as steel framed hour markers. But I'm pretty sure the Sub and SD uses the white gold.

Originally posted by ^Lee^ View Post
    $4.8k can get a 1016 - where?

If 4.8k not only good price, it's lelong...lelong...

Cheerio,
    Agreed with you on this.. 4.8K seemed like a steal and thats precisely why I mentioned that if it comes with box/papers for 1.2K more (as TS had mentioned but did not specified what kind of papers, whether it is service papers or original warranty paper), then its a fantastic buy for lovers of vintage pieces. Monster Time has a piece of 1016 and it is asking for 8.8K with only service papers. So I think it is quite clear now that I think TS was referring to the 114270 regarding the box/papers.
    HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THOSE WHO
    REALIZE THERE'S NEVER A RIGHT WAY.

ONLY A BETTER WAY.

Comment

See this thread from a while back:
      http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php?t=864

Comment

$6K I rather get a preowned sea dweller.
        Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
        Rolex LV submariner
        Rolex TT black submariner
        Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
        Rolex Non date submariner
        Rolex Explorer2
        More...

Comment

eh. The nearest comparison to the 1016 would be a discontinued Sea Dweller 16660. I don't think you will find that for $6k anymore. Maybe $7.5k or 8k.

Comment

I mean a F or D series sea dweller.
            Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
            Rolex LV submariner
            Rolex TT black submariner
            Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
            Rolex Non date submariner
            Rolex Explorer2
            More...

Comment

.. there is no comparison.
              1016 is a collectible. F or D series sea dweller is current production.
              The fair comparison would be a SD from the same period i.e. 1980s.

Comment

anyone know what the original bracelet of the 1016 looks like?
                Is it thinner & lighter than 114270?

Comment

Originally posted by ssworx View Post
                  anyone know what the original bracelet of the 1016 looks like?
                  Is it thinner & lighter than 114270?
                  the oyster bracelet for 114270 should be ref. no. 78690 and it should incorporate the solid end link(SEL). as for the 1016, i think the bracelet ref. no. is 7836 and it has a number (nt sure what no.) at the end piece near to the case lug. I think the 1016's bracelet should be lighter and thinner since it has no SEL. In any case, a 1016 original bracelet should have been stretched after years of wear.

ONLY A BETTER WAY.

Comment

guys just verfied with e guy. it's not 1016 but 5500. may I know the diff?
                    Last edited by ssworx; 31-03-08, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssworx View Post
                      guys just verfied with e guy. it's not 1016 but 5500. may I know the diff?
                      your pic definitely shows a 1016, as for the 5500, it is not often discussed as it is not very common. I think there is a difference in the prints on the dial between the 2. the 5500 dial is marked "Precision" and the 1016 is marked "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified". As for movements in 5500, I am not sure, maybe some bros here who are expert in this can help you. But serioulsy, IMO, i think if you really have intention of buying a vintage piece, u will probably have to do more homework on your own and research on it b4 you commit. juz my 0.02

ONLY A BETTER WAY.

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus75 View Post
                        your pic definitely shows a 1016, as for the 5500, it is not often discussed as it is not very common. I think there is a difference in the prints on the dial between the 2. the 5500 dial is marked "Precision" and the 1016 is marked "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified". As for movements in 5500, I am not sure, maybe some bros here who are expert in this can help you. But serioulsy, IMO, i think if you really have intention of buying a vintage piece, u will probably have to do more homework on your own and research on it b4 you commit. juz my 0.02
                        IMG_8842.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus75 View Post
                          Yeap, no mistake about it, it's definitely NOT a 5500, but a 1016.
                          Last edited by triton; 27-10-08, 07:43 AM.
                          "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
                          --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X