slight corrosion on case back and how to reseal it? any idea? small project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slight corrosion on case back and how to reseal it? any idea? small project

rolex cases after many many years, may still fall victim to corrosion and i saw many.
    some water/moisture ,through long period of no-servicing, may somehow get into the watch through crowns or old case back seals.
    and once oxidisation starts, rust form and slight corrosion start to occur.
    if problem is at the crown, probably crown still can be changed unless a big threading problem.

if problem at the case, it should be very ex and most vintage owners wouldn't want to change their case, all they will do is to take extra precaution while handling their watch.

i tried google but can't really find any solution to this kinda scenerio.
    so would like to check with experts here if there are any kind of stickers or seals to affix to the red dotted circumference... so that water seepage can be minimised to zero from such penetration.

hope you guys understand what i'm talking about.
    the watch in the picture is just a example. sorry for using a seadweller as an example.

no feedback from the floor? like that i try cutting small strips of those metal sticker and stick around it.. haahah

Comment

My advice to prevent such corrosion is:

1) Keep your watch dry at all time.
      2) Do not expose your watch to sudden change of extreme temperatures from hot to cold and vice versa.
      3) Ensure your caseback is screwed tight by your watchmaker or servicing center
      4) Get the rubber seal checked every 5 years. If you often goes diving and your watch is exposed to sea water, get it check at least every 2-3 years.
      5) Clean up your watch with clean water and dry it up after every dive.
      6) Store your watch in a dry box if possible... if not, ensure that you have a dehumiifier (example silicon gels or "Thirsty hippo") in your closet or safe...

Lastly, if you like, can consider putting a thin layer of grease at the area you mentioned to prevent rust and corrosion...

Jux my 2cents worth...

Comment

Try to wash it after you wear the watch. My father use his explorer 2 as a daily beater and the case back has corroded even the case tube as well. I had try to restore by washing and scrub using a brush and it doesn't help either. I will wait until maybe its time for a service where i disassemble and clean it.

Comment

I've always wondered. When servicing, they will open the caseback, hence will introduce air, moisture, dust into the watch. I don't think they test the watch for pressure and waterproof after servicing.

Comment

They will replace and wax the gasket and use the bergeon rolex case back opener and screw it as tight as possible. After that, use a waterproof testing machine to test how many bars.

Comment

Originally posted by deadbench View Post

rolex cases after many many years, may still fall victim to corrosion and i saw many.
              some water/moisture ,through long period of no-servicing, may somehow get into the watch through crowns or old case back seals.
              and once oxidisation starts, rust form and slight corrosion start to occur.
              if problem is at the crown, probably crown still can be changed unless a big threading problem.

if problem at the case, it should be very ex and most vintage owners wouldn't want to change their case, all they will do is to take extra precaution while handling their watch.

i tried google but can't really find any solution to this kinda scenerio.
              so would like to check with experts here if there are any kind of stickers or seals to affix to the red dotted circumference... so that water seepage can be minimised to zero from such penetration.

hope you guys understand what i'm talking about.
              the watch in the picture is just a example. sorry for using a seadweller as an example.
              Change the rubber gasket inside once every few years to be safe, you don't need additional things to seal it's good enough.

Well if you wash your watch once in awhile, brush and soap alittle you should be fine.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Radiolite22 View Post
                My advice to prevent such corrosion is:

1) Keep your watch dry at all time.
                2) Do not expose your watch to sudden change of extreme temperatures from hot to cold and vice versa.
                3) Ensure your caseback is screwed tight by your watchmaker or servicing center
                4) Get the rubber seal checked every 5 years. If you often goes diving and your watch is exposed to sea water, get it check at least every 2-3 years.
                5) Clean up your watch with clean water and dry it up after every dive.
                6) Store your watch in a dry box if possible... if not, ensure that you have a dehumiifier (example silicon gels or "Thirsty hippo") in your closet or safe...

Lastly, if you like, can consider putting a thin layer of grease at the area you mentioned to prevent rust and corrosion...

Jux my 2cents worth...

Won't the grease smear onto your wrist? Somehow will still tio your wrist one leh

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X