Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i shop for a analog watch with a leather strap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i shop for a analog watch with a leather strap?

Well the way i see it most websites and catalogs have watches categorized by brand which is useless unless you are familiar with the brands. They don't seem to categorize it by things like whether it is a leather strap/bracelet, etc. Any advice on how to tell whether a shop is marking up a price above fair market value as well, especially since there are so many shops doing that during the great singapore sale?

This watch caught my eye, too bad its out of stock and the site is in the US : http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P12813860.jpg.

I also like watches with a blue face, it makes it stand out more : http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wat...0/product.html

One sure way is to send them an email enquiry to ask for model variations (e.g. bracelet, type of metal used, leather strap model, rubber strap model). That's what I do when I shop online, gotta be proactive. Else, most of them have contact numbers, just call them even if they are overseas, it doesn't cost much more in order to get what you like.
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
    --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

Well any recommendations then?

Comment

bump

Comment

Buy from Sincere, Hour Glass and Cortina, prices are sure to be fair.
          If you are not familiar with various brands, why not educate yourself via research?
          Do your studies and you'll be shocked about the Sturhling brand and probably think twice about getting ripped off.
          Sweet 16:
          PP Aquanaut
          VC Overseas
          AP ROO Black Themes
          A.Lange & Sohne 1815
          Breguet Type XXI
          Blancpain 50 Fathoms
          JLC Navy Seals
          GO Senator 60s
          GP Laureato
          Zenith Pilot Extra Special
          Rolex DSSD
          IWC Big Pilot
          Pam 112
          Omega Ploprof
          Breitling Super Avenger
          Glycine F104

Comment

Ive done my research on the Stuhrling brand.

It seems they are made in china, using re-branded or modified Hangzhou movements which are quite robust. I have read many reviews about them and almost all of them state that they are fantastic value for money, only a minority mentioned that they had problems with the winding or accuracy(about 1 or 2 complaints).

The major complaints about Stuhrling is how they have this swiss history thing but they are not really swiss, but at least they are honest about it.

TBH i think most of the major watchmakers now assemble most of the movement, case and bracelet in China and then do some minor adjustments in Switzerland just to get the legal Swiss Made definition...

Comment

Bravo with your research!
              Since you're probably gonna pay a couple of hundred bucks for it, might as well fork out a little more for an affordable pedigree Swiss brand.
              Glycine and Hamilton probably offer more bang for your buck with their heritage.
              I'd personally recommend Glycine as a beginner watch. Maybe other bros can provide their inputs.
              Sweet 16:
              PP Aquanaut
              VC Overseas
              AP ROO Black Themes
              A.Lange & Sohne 1815
              Breguet Type XXI
              Blancpain 50 Fathoms
              JLC Navy Seals
              GO Senator 60s
              GP Laureato
              Rolex DSSD
              IWC Big Pilot
              Pam 112
              Omega Ploprof
              Breitling Super Avenger
              Glycine F104

Comment

Couple hundred of bucks? The skeletons im looking at are in the $100-200 range(SGD). For a chinese movement that seems fairly reasonable. Unless of course i get a lemon. Actually from what im seeing Stuhrling seems to dominate the skeleton market in the affordable range...all the other brands seem to only offer skeletons at much higher price ranges.

I actually got an orient for my first "real" watch. $110 SGD excluding shipping. Overall i would say not bad, strap is very nice, but two major problems with it :

-Mineral crystal seems extremely low quality, picks up smudges/fingerprints very easily. Much worse than my kenneth cole watch.

-I wore the watch for a few hours around the house, using the PC and some handwashing and the underside of the strap is already smudged with dark lines and bumpy in places...poor quality IMHO.

I've taken a look at Hamilton but their design's dont grab me . It may have a very good movement, etc, but if you aren't attracted to the design it's wasted on you IMHO. Glycine seems to have some nice clean designs though.

Speaking of Hamilton i heard that SAF gives ROD personnel a hamilton watch. Is this true? Does anyone have pictures of it?

On the other hand i've gotten attracted to a Vostok Kremlin but finding one online seems to be harder than i've expected.

Question is a bit moot ATM though, unless i get a bit more disposal income in the near future.

Comment

Mate,
                  I agree with you on the importance of the dial design but brand value also matters a little.
                  I'd still advocate a Swiss Glycine over Chinese and Russian pieces, but that just me.
                  Hour Glass offers a standard 35% discount for Glycine or check-out our garage from time to time.
                  All the best in your quest!
                  Sweet 16:
                  PP Aquanaut
                  VC Overseas
                  AP ROO Black Themes
                  A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                  Breguet Type XXI
                  Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                  JLC Navy Seals
                  GO Senator 60s
                  GP Laureato
                  Rolex DSSD
                  IWC Big Pilot
                  Pam 112
                  Omega Ploprof
                  Breitling Super Avenger
                  Glycine F104

Comment

Originally posted by Question View Post
                    Couple hundred of bucks? The skeletons im looking at are in the $100-200 range(SGD). For a chinese movement that seems fairly reasonable. Unless of course i get a lemon.

I actually got an orient for my first "real" watch. $110 SGD excluding shipping. Overall i would say not bad, strap is very nice, but two major problems with it :

-Mineral crystal seems extremely low quality, picks up smudges/fingerprints very easily. Much worse than my kenneth cole watch.

-I wore the watch for a few hours around the house, using the PC and some handwashing and the underside of the strap is already smudged with dark lines and bumpy in places...poor quality IMHO.

I've taken a look at Hamilton but their design's dont grab me . It may have a very good movement, etc, but if you aren't attracted to the design it's wasted on you IMHO. Glycine seems to have some nice clean designs though.

Speaking of Hamilton i heard that SAF gives ROD personnel a hamilton watch. Is this true? Does anyone have pictures of it?

On the other hand i've gotten attracted to a Vostok Kremlin but finding one online seems to be harder than i've expected.

Question is a bit moot ATM though, unless i get a bit more disposal income in the near future.
                    if you're buying a cobble-together-watch, please avoid it. the finishing is horrible, the assembling is worse. it will cost as much to service if you're unlucky, as it costs to buy the watch.

orient, citizen, seiko - tried and tested. they still make mechanical watches that can take abuse.

go pre-owned and you'll save some. otherwise, stick to a diver-style watch from seiko...

the orient you got - if the dial is black, the glass will pick up smudges far easily than a white dial watch would. this is just the way it is, nothing to do with mineral crystals. it will happen on a black milgauss too.

the back of a strap that is NON WATER RESISTANT will become dark, soft, and over time, stinky and possibly moldy when regularly exposed to water.

even people wearing $180,000 dress watches take their watches off if they don't want to wet the strap.

what you want, is a good strap. check out hirsch or di-modell. watchobsession UK just sent me a hirsch pure and i LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hamilton watches are a bit hit and miss. glycines are terribly over priced. the SAF ROD gift will have the soldier's name inscribed behind i think!

if you want to look at modern russian watches, look at the EURO (VOSTOK?) versions... they have better QC. vintage or regular production russian watches are otherwise... be prepared for a lemon.

still new to the watch thing? take your time, don't buy too many lower quality pieces if you can save a little longer and buy nicer ones that speak to you.

don't go overboard with your purchases... and ALWAYS REMEMBER: money can be made again. AND... karma!
                    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                      even people wearing $180,000 dress watches take their watches off if they don't want to wet the strap.
                      sorry i know this doesn't really help much but...........

i think ESPECIALLY people who wear $180,000 dress watches would take them off before entering the restroom.

i cannot get it wet... i cannot get it wet....
                      fallraen
                      "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

Comment

Originally posted by fallraen View Post
                        sorry i know this doesn't really help much but...........

i think ESPECIALLY people who wear $180,000 dress watches would take them off before entering the restroom.

i cannot get it wet... i cannot get it wet....
                        i think a modern day 180,000 watch would survive a wild boat trip, but i doubt the gator strap would...
                        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X