Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any restriction in manually winding a Rolex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any restriction in manually winding a Rolex?

Hi,

Was wondering if there is any restrictions in manually winding a rolex as i was told that a omega should not be manually wound between 9pm to 3am.
    ---------------------
    SUB 16610LV
    SUB 116610LV
    Daytona 16520
    50th Bond Omega

Not sure about winding but i would avoid changing date when the hour hand is between 9-3

Originally posted by dragjin View Post
    Hi,

Was wondering if there is any restrictions in manually winding a rolex as i was told that a omega should not be manually wound between 9pm to 3am.

Comment

All mechanical / automatic watches with a date and / or calendar type movements are the same..... best to avoid in the 22:00hrs - 02:00hrs period.
      ROLEX.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. relatively new to automatic watches so the info caught me by surprise
        ---------------------
        SUB 16610LV
        SUB 116610LV
        Daytona 16520
        50th Bond Omega

Comment

so rule of thumb is to adjust the hour hands outside of the 10 to 2 oclock range, before making other adjustments such as date change

Thanks for the replies.. relatively new to automatic watches so the info caught me by surprise

Comment

No restrictions for winding. But for date adjustments don't do it between 2 am and 8 am. As for Omega, I'm not so sure.

Comment

no date adjustment for 2 to 8 means hour hand at 2,3,4,...6,7,8?
              thought it should be no date adjustment when hour hand between 10 to 2 means 10,11,12,1,2 instead

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
              No restrictions for winding. But for date adjustments don't do it between 2 am and 8 am. As for Omega, I'm not so sure.

Comment

Was at Omega service centre the other day and the lady gave me a pretty long explanation haha. Told me not to adjust date when the time is between 10-2. You wouldn't know if its AM/PM either and it shouldn't matter. In gist, just set the hr hand out of 10-2 first, then adjust the date. You can then adjust the time again. Hope it helps

Comment

Clarified with an AD that its 10pm to 2am. Thus if you dont wear the watch on a daily basis and it stops between 10 - 2 my advise it to put it on a winder if ya have one or wear it again till you avoid that period prior to adjusting the date
                  ---------------------
                  SUB 16610LV
                  SUB 116610LV
                  Daytona 16520
                  50th Bond Omega

Comment

Clarified with an AD that its 10pm to 2am. Thus if you dont wear the watch on a daily basis and it stops between 10 - 2 my advise it to put it on a winder if ya have one or wear it again till you avoid that period prior to adjusting the date
                    Why dun you just manually adjust the time to after 2pm to set the date... Why must go through the hassle of putting on winder??
                    Current:
                    No More Liao...

Comment

Agree, just pull crown all the way to third position, forward hour hand out of the danger zone (10 to 2oclock), then push crown back to position 2 to adjust date

Originally posted by newbie09 View Post
                      Why dun you just manually adjust the time to after 2pm to set the date... Why must go through the hassle of putting on winder??

Comment

For DJ/DD models, shld b no restrictions since the mechanisms inside them r able 2 "handle" such changes. From what i know, the Date models need 2 manually change the dates separately as it won't sync with the hour/min hands.

Rolex owner since 2010
                        Previously owned:
                        Explorer II(216570) black dial AN serial
                        GMT-Master II(116710LN) AN serial
                        Current collection:
                        Datejust 36(116234) V serial
                        GMT-Master II(116713LN) AN serial
                        Upcoming/Wishlist:
                        "Hulk" green sub(116610LV)

Comment

IMO - if you're using a modern 31x5 movement, just change it whichever way and whenever you like. i go backwards and forwards on the time when i travel (not gmt2/exp2) and it's never given me any problems. if the date doesn't seem to be seated/moving properly, i move the hands back some more and then go forward again - problem solved.

do note that my opinion is that if your watch is from 1989 and never been serviced, i don't recommend the above due to worn jewels not being able to work within the design tolerances. you might want to adhere to ETA date adjusting rules.

if you own a 3055-based watch, then please be careful as the day mechanism has inherent design flaws, so you should ignore my advice and proceed with caution.

finally, automatic movements are not usually designed to endure regular (eg, daily) hand winding. i believe this includes rolex, too.

shake, adjust, wear.

if you want to hand wind a watch, buy a manual wind watch. it's cheaper and safer in the long run.
                          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Hmmm....May i know what is the reasons on mentioned restriction?
                            please share...i have been winding, changing date, changing time ignorantly w/o knowing those restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                              IMO - if you're using a modern 31x5 movement, just change it whichever way and whenever you like. i go backwards and forwards on the time when i travel (not gmt2/exp2) and it's never given me any problems. if the date doesn't seem to be seated/moving properly, i move the hands back some more and then go forward again - problem solved.

do note that my opinion is that if your watch is from 1989 and never been serviced, i don't recommend the above due to worn jewels not being able to work within the design tolerances. you might want to adhere to ETA date adjusting rules.

if you own a 3055-based watch, then please be careful as the day mechanism has inherent design flaws, so you should ignore my advice and proceed with caution.

finally, automatic movements are not usually designed to endure regular (eg, daily) hand winding. i believe this includes rolex, too.

shake, adjust, wear.

if you want to hand wind a watch, buy a manual wind watch. it's cheaper and safer in the long run.

Very sound advice from taxico......cheers for that!!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X