Watch storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch storage

Hi all, anyone know if watches are appropriate to be stored in a camera dry cabinet?

I understand from my last watch service that there is oil (lubrication I would imagine) on the mechanicals which need lubrication now and then. Am not sure if humidity or dryness affect the watch but am inclined to think not. Advice appreciated.

J
    Last edited by kisamyasy; 25-05-13, 07:14 PM.

I don't see the logic of keeping watch in a dry box.You mean a watch will become mouldy in 1,2 or how many yrs if kept outside?

Comment

The watch should be hermetically sealed. So it should not be affected by humidity. Being hermetically sealed, the lubricant will keep the engine in running condition, so dryness logically should also not be an effect.

Having said that, there would be other reasons for keeping your watches in a dry cabinet. For example if you are using leather straps. Moisture from washing your hands, sweat, etc would accumulate on your straps and if you don't wear them for some time, it could degrade depending on the quality of your watches. So I guess a dry cab helps. But also bear in mind that leather will also degrade if it is 'too dry' over a long period of time.

So what is considered the correct humidity to keep the watch in is the question. My dry cab is maintained at 45% humidity. I think that is not too dry but having said that I do not keep my watches in them.
      I will own a Rolex ................ someday!

Comment

thks for the sharing.i do note on the leather strap getting too dry.

My dry box only holds a camera and a couple of lenses. lots of space to store other stuff, so why not watches. I was hoping to have it housed there for pure storage purposes actually. dont want the kid fooling around with the merchandise if ya know what im sayin..

Comment

I keep my watches in a digital dry cabinet too. RH is kept around 40-45%

Comment

I think the case and movement should be less affected by humidity. It's more the leather strap, for that reason all my spare straps are stored in dry cabinet. As for bracelet strap, if it's worn on an active day where sweat and grime accumulates, I think it makes sense to wipe with a moist clothe and then dry it, at least prevents the grime from building up which gets harder to clean as time goes by..
            elusive

Comment

Do you monitor which RH% level (30%, 40% or 50%) is best to store and lengthen the life of your leather straps before they start to crack?

Originally posted by satch View Post
              I think the case and movement should be less affected by humidity. It's more the leather strap, for that reason all my spare straps are stored in dry cabinet. As for bracelet strap, if it's worn on an active day where sweat and grime accumulates, I think it makes sense to wipe with a moist clothe and then dry it, at least prevents the grime from building up which gets harder to clean as time goes by..

Comment

Originally posted by nimm12
                i use silica packs
                save electricity
                Good go green!
                elusive

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
                  Do you monitor which RH% level (30%, 40% or 50%) is best to store and lengthen the life of your leather straps before they start to crack?
                  It's set at 50%, 30% not necessary. But you're right that there's a risk of leather cracking especially if it's aged.
                  elusive

Comment

Just got a winder and will just put it on the winder on weekends and in the case on weekdays since i would wear it.

Comment

storing rolex

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
                      I don't see the logic of keeping watch in a dry box.You mean a watch will become mouldy in 1,2 or how many yrs if kept outside?
                      I think no need to keep in dry box, Watch is supposed to be air tight as it is an oyster.

Comment

Originally posted by kisamyasy View Post
                        Hi all, anyone know if watches are appropriate to be stored in a camera dry cabinet?

I understand from my last watch service that there is oil (lubrication I would imagine) on the mechanicals which need lubrication now and then. Am not sure if humidity or dryness affect the watch but am inclined to think not. Advice appreciated.

J
                        I don't think it needs to be stored in a dry cabinet.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X