Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will the service centre staff know the details of yr watch through the serial no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will the service centre staff know the details of yr watch through the serial no

hi everyone.was just wondering about this.will they actually know if let's say the dial's colour was originally black.thanks...

Originally posted by jackpereira67 View Post
    hi everyone.was just wondering about this.will they actually know if let's say the dial's colour was originally black.thanks...
    I like this thread and think it is very good for discussion purposes. The question posed is important and I for one would like to have the answer as well.

I would like to think that the service technicians/staff at RSC are sufficiently trained and would be able to advice whether a watch has been modified (i.e. changed bezel, dial, inserts, etc.)

In your case, it would be much easier for the technician to advise you if you have a warranty card. This is because by identifying the model of the watch, the technician will then have a reference to compare and ascertain whether modifications were made.

Even without a warranty card, I am inclined to think that a technician will still be able to tell whether a watch has been modified but this takes experience and knowledge. I give you an example, say someone changes the metal inserts for a 16610LN to green and passes it off as a 16610LV without giving you the warranty card. It will not be easy to say for a fact that the watch has been modified unless a technician is armed with sufficient knowledge to know the differences between the two models.

This are just my thoughts and I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by nimm12
      i think such info should be captured in the database
      Agreed, the serial number and model of the watch would be captured in the database.

Comment

Originally posted by quacker View Post
        Agreed, the serial number and model of the watch would be captured in the database.
        lets say its a datejust..lets say the 16234.they come in a variety of dials.from the serial no, the database will reflect the original configuration of the watch?eg mother of pearl with diamond markers? speaking of diamonds,does anyone know whats the carat of the diamond markers?thanks guys..

Comment

I like this thread and think it is very good for discussion purposes. The question posed is important and I for one would like to have the answer as well.

I would like to think that the service technicians/staff at RSC are sufficiently trained and would be able to advice whether a watch has been modified (i.e. changed bezel, dial, inserts, etc.)

In your case, it would be much easier for the technician to advise you if you have a warranty card. This is because by identifying the model of the watch, the technician will then have a reference to compare and ascertain whether modifications were made.

Even without a warranty card, I am inclined to think that a technician will still be able to tell whether a watch has been modified but this takes experience and knowledge. I give you an example, say someone changes the metal inserts for a 16610LN to green and passes it off as a 16610LV without giving you the warranty card. It will not be easy to say for a fact that the watch has been modified unless a technician is armed with sufficient knowledge to know the differences between the two models.

hi bro quacker.yes I searched for a similar thread but cldnt find any..so I decided to start the ball rolling..

Comment

this is a great start as I have something on my mind too:

Will different RSCs know the service histories carried out by different RSCs?

Say for example, I am to be relocated to US for 2 years... and I happen to send my watch for service at some US RSCs...

Then I need to move to EU for another 5 years, and happen to need another service at some EU RSCs

Will the EU RSC know the service detail/history of your watch?

Comment

Having a warranty card or not does not make a difference/make the tech's job easier. When the tech removes the bracelet he will be able to see the model number of the watch (actually he doesn't remove he probably would know liao) When they check through the watch, they will know what's not right when they examine it. (rest assured)

For example 16610 and 16610LV, if you swap metal inserts, you can tell from the dial as the 16610 LV is using a maxi dial. If the "16610LV" with 16610 case is something like a E series, it's also obvious because the 16610LV wasn't available during that period. I cannot rmb exactly if the 16610LV has a different stamping for the Model number engraved, I believe they do. Once that tallys, you cannot really run.

As for Datejust/Daydate (etc) models , because of the fact they have so many dial variations, for example the 116234 or 16234 originally purchased in Black or Blue dial for example, and eventually somewhere it was swapped to an original Silver dial made for the respective model, then it's fine. RSC won't fault you, as long as the dial is correct for the model and period.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by mtb View Post
                this is a great start as I have something on my mind too:

Will different RSCs know the service histories carried out by different RSCs?

Say for example, I am to be relocated to US for 2 years... and I happen to send my watch for service at some US RSCs...

Then I need to move to EU for another 5 years, and happen to need another service at some EU RSCs

Will the EU RSC know the service detail/history of your watch?

That is an interesting question, but here comes the golden question. The service history is a good to know, but not a must to know.

They will work on your watch based on their SOPs and also the problems you bring up, as long as all are fixed and running fine, there shouldn't be an issue. Then again I ask you, if you bring the watch to a trusted 3rd party repair man, he too doesn't know the background/service history but he's able to get your watch running fine and well. Isn't that what you want as a result?

Comment

Originally posted by jackpereira67 View Post
                  lets say its a datejust..lets say the 16234.they come in a variety of dials.from the serial no, the database will reflect the original configuration of the watch?eg mother of pearl with diamond markers? speaking of diamonds,does anyone know whats the carat of the diamond markers?thanks guys..
                  The database may/may not reflect but most likely those of the newer series may, but it doesn't affect as Datejust has many variations. As long as the dial is original to the model and available at time of purchase any variation is considered correct.

Carat wt, I have no idea but I m estimating 0.05-0.08ct each for the big diamonds,the so called small diamond dial of the yesteryears, I m estimating 0.05 or below. But one thing for sure, all D colour and IF clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                    That is an interesting question, but here comes the golden question. The service history is a good to know, but not a must to know.

They will work on your watch based on their SOPs and also the problems you bring up, as long as all are fixed and running fine, there shouldn't be an issue. Then again I ask you, if you bring the watch to a trusted 3rd party repair man, he too doesn't know the background/service history but he's able to get your watch running fine and well. Isn't that what you want as a result?
                    That is very true... a good running watch is way better than a good serviced watch

My concern here is assuming US RSC charged you extra when changing some parts on the watch, and it was supposed to be good for another 5 years... but 2 years down the road the watch stopped working and upon inspection by EU RSC, it was caused by the serviced parts (which were replaced and charged by US RSC)

With the record in place, it should be relatively easier to get it replaced and fixed without additional cost right?

Apologies for such stupid question as I am first time Rolex owner

Any response is welcome

Comment

Having a warranty card or not does not make a difference/make the tech's job easier. When the tech removes the bracelet he will be able to see the model number of the watch (actually he doesn't remove he probably would know liao) When they check through the watch, they will know what's not right when they examine it. (rest assured)

For example 16610 and 16610LV, if you swap metal inserts, you can tell from the dial as the 16610 LV is using a maxi dial. If the "16610LV" with 16610 case is something like a E series, it's also obvious because the 16610LV wasn't available during that period. I cannot rmb exactly if the 16610LV has a different stamping for the Model number engraved, I believe they do. Once that tallys, you cannot really run.

As for Datejust/Daydate (etc) models , because of the fact they have so many dial variations, for example the 116234 or 16234 originally purchased in Black or Blue dial for example, and eventually somewhere it was swapped to an original Silver dial made for the respective model, then it's fine. RSC won't fault you, as long as the dial is correct for the model and period.
                      Does that mean every watch has the model number stamped on it? I have never removed my bracelet and do not know.

Comment

Does that mean every watch has the model number stamped on it? I have never removed my bracelet and do not know.
                        I know my DSSD does

Comment

I know my DSSD does
                          Noted. That means every watch would have the serial number and model number inscribed.

Comment

The database may/may not reflect but most likely those of the newer series may, but it doesn't affect as Datejust has many variations. As long as the dial is original to the model and available at time of purchase any variation is considered correct.

Carat wt, I have no idea but I m estimating 0.05-0.08ct each for the big diamonds,the so called small diamond dial of the yesteryears, I m estimating 0.05 or below. But one thing for sure, all D colour and IF clarity.
                            u hv superb knowledge..thanks so much for the info

Comment

That is very true... a good running watch is way better than a good serviced watch

My concern here is assuming US RSC charged you extra when changing some parts on the watch, and it was supposed to be good for another 5 years... but 2 years down the road the watch stopped working and upon inspection by EU RSC, it was caused by the serviced parts (which were replaced and charged by US RSC)

With the record in place, it should be relatively easier to get it replaced and fixed without additional cost right?

Apologies for such stupid question as I am first time Rolex owner

Any response is welcome
                              Does anyone have any insights on this?

much appreciated

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X