Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing Your Rolex...

with Loctite?

I seem to be reading quite a lot, and I really mean a lot, of Rolex owners using Loctite to secure their link screws to prevent it from "unscrewing" itself and causing a disastrous ending to their beloved Rolex. And apparently Rolex also uses Loctite and its in their Kit as well. Its interesting that a thousands-of-dollars watch need to use some kind of glue to prevent the screws from getting loosen.

I am posting this as I experienced it first hand myself. The screw from one of the links got loose and it kind of got me worried. I am new to Rolex and have never experience this brand before.

So, Rolex owners of SgRolexClub, are you one of those who take safety precautions and secure your screw from falling off or one of those who's never ever needed to use any and never ever have any of your link screw loosen by itself?

Please share.

Cheers.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
    it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
    How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done.'

Hi Ryuden,

This is the first time I hear about this. So far, I have no problem with loose links. Cheers

Comment

Hi Ryuden,

This is the first time I hear about this. So far, I have no problem with loose links. Cheers

Comment

I normally do a one time check to ensure the threads are not stripped.

Comment

Originally posted by Azarisk View Post
          Hi Ryuden,

Hi Azarisk,

I read about it mostly from overseas forums and not from local forums.

Cheers.
          Last edited by Ryuden; 05-04-14, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3echo View Post
            I normally do a one time check to ensure the threads are not stripped.
            The threads are definitely not stripped and its a relatively new piece. I noticed that when I unscrew to adjust the links, there are some white stuff at the screw threads.

Other then that, it's definitely not a stripped thread and of all the screws, only one came loose and its not so loose until can drop off at anytime but loose enough for me to twist the screw with my fingernail.

Cheers.

Comment

Never experienced such nonsense in all my years of wearing Rolex new and preowned.
              Loctite?, damn thats for my Harley bolts!!
              Muayhaha

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
                Never experienced such nonsense in all my years of wearing Rolex new and preowned.
                Loctite?, damn thats for my Harley bolts!!
                Muayhaha
                Yup, can't believe it myself...good to know from season owner point of view...

Though I still wondering why would Rolex themselves uses one...can't be their precision engineering fails right? Many other bands which uses screws doesn't need Loctite to keep their links in place...

Harley...? Nice...

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryuden View Post
                  with Loctite?

I seem to be reading quite a lot, and I really mean a lot, of Rolex owners using Loctite to secure their link screws to prevent it from "unscrewing" itself and causing a disastrous ending to their beloved Rolex. And apparently Rolex also uses Loctite and its in their Kit as well. Its interesting that a thousands-of-dollars watch need to use some kind of glue to prevent the screws from getting loosen.

I am posting this as I experienced it first hand myself. The screw from one of the links got loose and it kind of got me worried. I am new to Rolex and have never experience this brand before.

So, Rolex owners of SgRolexClub, are you one of those who take safety precautions and secure your screw from falling off or one of those who's never ever needed to use any and never ever have any of your link screw loosen by itself?
                  mine come a wee bit loose after about a year. not to the point that it is sticking out, but loose enough to need a tiny bit of tightening with a screw driver. usually the ones on the 12 o'clock side, and not on all links there.

i can't remember where i put my loctite (only bought it once) so i've never used it since it went missing.

this isn't something i think needs to be checked frequently, but there is no harm in feeling the screws whenever you swap or wash watches (or are bored and decided to play with it) to make sure it is still flush with the link's side.

it's not a big concern of mine even though mine comes loose - i shall add here that i do not like (excessively) overtightening the screws, which may be a factor... i assume if you tighten that sucker up, it shouldn't come out much (if at all) unless your hands are often on a vibration emitting machinery like when idling a big harley or the like.

it might be in the official AD re-sizing kit but RSC singapore doesn't use loctite in my experience, but yes, bracelets do come from the factory loctite(d?) - the white stuff you mentioned. i believe it's not a good idea to leave them there once you've broken the seal.
                  “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

It happened to my sub twice within a span of one year.once at home and the other time I was outside.The screw just came loose,had to turn back using nails before heading back to tighten with screw driver.

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                      mine come a wee bit loose after about a year. not to the point that it is sticking out, but loose enough to need a tiny bit of tightening with a screw driver. usually the ones on the 12 o'clock side, and not on all links there.

i can't remember where i put my loctite (only bought it once) so i've never used it since it went missing.

this isn't something i think needs to be checked frequently, but there is no harm in feeling the screws whenever you swap or wash watches (or are bored and decided to play with it) to make sure it is still flush with the link's side.

it's not a big concern of mine even though mine comes loose - i shall add here that i do not like (excessively) overtightening the screws, which may be a factor... i assume if you tighten that sucker up, it shouldn't come out much (if at all) unless your hands are often on a vibration emitting machinery like when idling a big harley or the like.

it might be in the official AD re-sizing kit but RSC singapore doesn't use loctite in my experience, but yes, bracelets do come from the factory loctite(d?) - the white stuff you mentioned. i believe it's not a good idea to leave them there once you've broken the seal.
                      Same here for me. It's loose but not to the point of it protruding out but loose enough for me to twist it with my finger nail. And yes it's only on one of the screw,not all,at the 12 o'clock side.

I did wiped off the white stuff when I resized my bracelet. Not sure if that contribute to it being loose.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by edchys View Post
                        It happened to my sub twice within a span of one year.once at home and the other time I was outside.The screw just came loose,had to turn back using nails before heading back to tighten with screw driver.
                        Lucky for me,I realised it when I was at home. Enough time for me to tighten it back in place.

And mine too is a year old.

Cheers.

Comment

Hmm, that's interesting. Will need to look the links closely now.

Comment

just to make this more informative:

rolex uses loctite 222 (different from sinn).
                            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by Azarisk View Post
                              Hmm, that's interesting. Will need to look the links closely now.
                              It's always good to share experience so we can look out for things like this...

Cheers.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X