Sub-ND vs Sub-GD (Got-Date)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weizhen77 View Post
    Before considering for Rolex(to replace my current automatic Swatch), I almost bought an Oris. In the very last minute, changed my mind because it is only 30m water resistance. I am totally turned off by its recommendation of: no bathing, no swimming and of course no diving with the Oris watch.

At the time when I was about to buy the Oris, in my mind, I was telling myself: "What?? I am paying S$3k for this Oris, and it is going to restrict me in my daily activities even bathing with it? Probably Rolex will be a better choice."

Hmm... now I am reading this thread really really makes me doubt about the QUALITY of watch made by Rolex.

Are we indeed paying for the brand only?
    Are all the claims of 100m waterPROOF just marketing gimmicks?
    Isn't Rolex the company that invented waterPROOF watch instead of just waterRESISTANCE?

Yup, I swim, go spa, jog, play badminton with my Swatch for the past 10 years. Service only twice to regulate it.

In terms of practical use, don't tell me that my current S$150 Swatch Automatic watch is still better than any watch from Rolex?
    Think watches are after just tools for us to use each day, to tell us the time. So i guess, your swatch can do the job as good as a rolex.

In my opinion, watches mean different thing to different people. Wearing a rolex does not make you a better man compared to someone who is wearing a Swatch. Its like driving a car, you can drive a BMW Z4 or a korean car which is 20 years of age, it still brings you to your destination.

I believe watches is a hobby and a passion to a number of people. Its the heritage of the brand as well. And no, rolex watches' 300m water resistance is not a gimmick. They had conducted a number of test and the sea dwellers which promised a 4000ft resistance are a standard issue to the comex divers. these divers had worn them during their expedition underwater and their watches worked as fine. Though i would agree that the price is expensive, as compared to a Swatch, but thats also the draw of it, exclusive and expensive. When we buy a rolex, we are buying more than a watch that tells us the time, we buy the prestige and heritage of owning one rolex as well.

But i understand that the company do give out alot of $$ in charity. So they are like the robin hood of the watch industry, collecting money from people who can afford it and giving them to the people who cannot afford it. This is another good cause to it.

End of the day, its not the watch that we wear that makes us who we are today, neither does wearing a rolex makes us better people. Its who we are and what we have done in the betterment of the lifes of people around us that makes us special. Then why buy a rolex, becos simply, its my hobby, only part of our life, to make us smile more and to get away from the stress of life...

Comment

By the way, some history, the submariner was created without dates initially in 1953. Only sometime in 1960s did they introduced the date function onto the submariner.

As for preference, i would prefer the sub ND as that was the "original"... No doubt, having the date function is very useful. But i would prefer something meaningful as compared to functionability when it comes to watches.

Comment

Originally posted by weizhen77 View Post
        Before considering for Rolex(to replace my current automatic Swatch), I almost bought an Oris. In the very last minute, changed my mind because it is only 30m water resistance. I am totally turned off by its recommendation of: no bathing, no swimming and of course no diving with the Oris watch.

At the time when I was about to buy the Oris, in my mind, I was telling myself: "What?? I am paying S$3k for this Oris, and it is going to restrict me in my daily activities even bathing with it? Probably Rolex will be a better choice."

Hmm... now I am reading this thread really really makes me doubt about the QUALITY of watch made by Rolex.

Are we indeed paying for the brand only?
        Are all the claims of 100m waterPROOF just marketing gimmicks?
        Isn't Rolex the company that invented waterPROOF watch instead of just waterRESISTANCE?

Yup, I swim, go spa, jog, play badminton with my Swatch for the past 10 years. Service only twice to regulate it.

In terms of practical use, don't tell me that my current S$150 Swatch Automatic watch is still better than any watch from Rolex?
        btw, many use sub, SDs from rolex to dive, swim, etc with no issues. Its just that I am a poor man so cant bear to scratch or ding my rollie thats all. If you not heart pain, then by all means hammer the rolex anyway u like. I am sure it can take much more beating then ur swatch.

in terms of practical use, I think Swatch is overprice also. Casio only 15 bucks, so much cheaper right?

with regard to waterproof, its kinda major a history event with watch makers.

Watch makers used to use the term "waterproof" to define their watches. However, over the years, they have changed it to Water Resistant. Reason being that no single watch maker is willing to guarantee 100% on that.

I believe even Swatch labels as Water resistant, same for Casio.

The key difference is that waterproof = 100%. Water resistance can be ip to 99.999999%
        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

just a a rolex to try lor...under warr mah..if anything goes wrong just have to go RSC to resolve the problems....simple...
          Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Wah... what took you guys so long to reply my previous posting.

Too late... I am now a happy owner of Explorer I
            Simplicity, an encapsulation of complexity.

Comment

haha, cos never pay attention mah.

glad u jumped on the bandwagon!! have fun wearing that explorer I!!

i saw one with a OEM carbon strap. looks damn classy
              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                glad u jumped on the bandwagon!! have fun wearing that explorer I!!
                Thanks! In fact my mind was already made up to get a Rolex after the encounter with Oris and the bad customer service from Swatch. Just that dunno which model to get, totally a newbie to Rolex world. Thanks to all you guys, I've gotten lots of great answers and advices that helps me a lot on deciding which watch is suitable for me.

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                i saw one with a OEM carbon strap. looks damn classy
                no picture ah?

Apology for the
                Simplicity, an encapsulation of complexity.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X