Should I buy from AD or "grey dealer"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy from AD or "grey dealer"

Looking to buy my first rolex, and the price difference between AD (hour glass) and grey dealer is about 1.5k, which is alot of money. Wondering if anyone here can enlighten me?

1. is it advisable to buy from a grey dealer?

2. Whats the difference between AD and grey dealer?

3. Such a big price difference, not sure if it's legit. How are they able to offer the genuine at 1.5k difference?

As long as you've done your research, and research and more research, it's safe. Research on the grey dealer's background, reference check with past buyers (the Feedback Score) among others. BUT...even after ALL the research, it is still not foolproof. Additional measure like dealing only at authorised service center after getting the watch checked up is advisable.

Price?

Other than that, is the origin of the set. Most (not all) of grey dealers sets are from overseas ADs. Reason could be because it's usually cheaper to buy from overseas factoring the rebates and currency, it could favour the grey dealers as they got it cheaper than getting from local AD. So, it's back to square one...PRICE.

3. Such a big price difference, not sure if it's legit. How are they able to offer the genuine at 1.5k difference

As long as the warranty card/paper/booklet are stamped with the AD's official stamp and that the AD is an authorised dealer listed in the brand's list of official ADs plus dated correctly, and that the serial numbers on the documents matches the serial number on the watch, the watch is legit and so is the document.

The grey dealers could have bought in bulks and some have good connections with the Official ADs who in turns load the watches to the Grey Dealers via the "back door". Well, that is for another story.

The price diff is irrelevant as long as everything checks out. If you are still in doubt, complete the deal after getting the watch authenticated at an Official service center.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
    it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
    How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done.'

Comment

Reputable grey dealers are good. $1.5k cheaper is surprising though so better check this dealer properly, any difference in year of watch, both new (not new versus so called BNIB or LNIB rubbish), etc

Comment

Same question with regards to buying car, whether to buy from AD, PI, used, etc

End of day, do your research. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is

Comment

Looking to buy my first rolex, and the price difference between AD (hour glass) and grey dealer is about 1.5k, which is alot of money. Wondering if anyone here can enlighten me?

"gray dealer" - individual/shop. regardless buying either individual/shop. verification of watch is STRONGLY advisable. difference between buying from individual is that once money changes hands, you are pretty left on your own. as for shop, there is a possibility of re-course as there is a receipt (provided that details of the watch is written).

AD is appointed agent to sell rolex by Rolex. Gray dealer are not appointed agent.

3. Such a big price difference, not sure if it's legit. How are they able to offer the genuine at 1.5k difference?

cannot comment of it is legit. the difference accounts for advertising, having to pay rental for shop(s), staff salary, etc.

if this is your first rolex watch, i strongly suggest that you to go get it from an AD as it is hassle free. some may argue that you can save 1.5k but are you confident enough to buy from a gray dealer with a peace of mind.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

thank you bros for sharing!

Comment

Hi, i am pretty near here and have a Quesiton regarding the grey dealer
              is it true that SRC might reject servicing of PI rolex despite authenticating that it a real rolex? please advise
              thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by ahkiat View Post
                Hi, i am pretty near here and have a Quesiton regarding the grey dealer
                is it true that SRC might reject servicing of PI rolex despite authenticating that it a real rolex? please advise
                thanks in advance
                Not true. As long as the ROLEX watch is authentic, it does not matter where or how the watch was bought. The ROLEX Service Centre (RSC) cannot reject to service/repair it.
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

If you put it this way, for example, not all seiko in consideration but some few models stand value.

Hey sometime depending what set you looking at. If you just looking at the set everybody wearing it, just get from members here selling already superb. if you getting masterpiece for last long collection, go get the full set. I meant full set, I MEANT FULL SET.

If local AD slightly expensive go overseas. but I only do this if the set masterpiece and historical set. WHY because full set.

you will not getting full set from Dealer, members might but rare.

I MEANT FULL SET...

Comment

Originally posted by sunnycarp View Post

if it's your first rolex, i suggest u buy from AD and have a piece of mind... after u get more familiar and confident, then explore the grey dealers. no point saving a bit of money but u can't sleep at night right.

Comment

newbie question here

sorry to hijack this thread

i travel quite a lot and i wonder if getting a rolex from the shop inside airport (no GST) is cheaper than AD? is the discount offered the same, but less GST?

Comment

See how you bargain. Sports model difficult to get discount.
                        less 7% gst is good enough i would say.

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread as well....Any good "grey dealer" to sell a BNIB rolex?

Comment

you may refer to the advertisers on the scrolling banner.

Originally posted by chiamsc View Post
                            Sorry to hijack this thread as well....Any good "grey dealer" to sell a BNIB rolex?
                            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                            1. subject heading indicating your issue
                            2. your nick
                            3. your corresponding email address
                            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I think there is some confusion.

"Grey dealers" are not individual sellers like you and me. A grey dealer is usually a rather reputable shop (like Jomashop.com in the USA) that sources their watches from overseas, usually other ADs who want to get rid of their stock, or want to sell quickly with less profit. They do not buy directly from Rolex. Rolex itself discourages this strategy and in fact, is said to revoke the license of ADs who sell to grey dealers (if discovered). The watches are absolutely legit and come with box and all accessories, but DO NOT come with stamped/dated certificate. If grey watches were AD-stamped, the AD would openly risk losing their contract with Rolex! You might get an unnamed/undated cert or card (sometimes referred to as "open papers"), or no cert/card at all.

Grey watches were simply never meant to be sold in that particular country (for instance, Jomashop in the USA sells watches that were not meant for the US market; they may have been sourced from Europe, Asia, Africa, you name it).

And these watches are cheaper simply because both the AD and the grey dealer are fine with making less (the profit margin is high enough for most luxury brands). Plus, it's like any other watch without cert which always sells for less than a watch with cert.

Any Rolex service center in any part of the world will service a grey watch, just as they do with any other watch. (By the way, you just take the watch to them... meaning, there is no way to tell a watch is grey or not.)
                              Last edited by forcabruta; 27-06-17, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X