Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoyalOak
    replied
    Bye bye Rolex, thanks for the great memories.

I will switch brand from this day on.

Leave a comment:

• sy1994
    replied
    Latest info I heard from sources that Rolex will be significantly reducing the supply of sports model to ADs effective this year. Probably a drop of 30 to 50% range. To control and tighten up supply & demand? True? Oh.. and also be prepare for the price increased too. (4% to 8% roughly)

Leave a comment:

• cjexcel
    replied
    very true

Leave a comment:

• Oceanklassik
    replied
    Originally posted by rallyx View Post
    As well all know, the demand for the SS sports models have gone through the roof with Rolex not being able to keep up with demand. We also need to remember that Rolex makes other non sports models, DJs, DDs, precious metals, serti that stay on the shelves a lot longer. One just need to walk into any AD to see these non sports models on display. You can buy one on the spot. The ADs are expected to move these non sports models as well. The ADs cannot pick and choose and say to Rolex that I only want SS sports models. What gets allocated to the AD depends on what and how soon they move their stocks.

This is where I believe the benefits of the grey dealers come in. The grey dealers 'jiak' these slow moving models, often at a significant discount from the ADs so that these get off the ADs books. To Rolex, the AD has 'sold' these slow moving models. Therefore as incentive from the AD to the grey dealers, they are given some of these high demand sports models at no discount. The grey dealers sell these popular ss sports models at a premium to cover for the slow moving models that they 'jiak' from the ADs.

Unless Rolex decides to ramp up the production of SS sports models significantly and reduce the production of non sports models significantly, the situation of paying a premium will remain for some time.
    Yes, exactly how the situation has been since a long time ago, and until now. That is why you tend to see the grey dealers selling more pop sports models than the ADs. And because the grey dealers are not 'governed' by the watch manufacturers, they can set at any price they wish to for their watches. It's a vicious cycle.

Leave a comment:

• rallyx
    replied
    As well all know, the demand for the SS sports models have gone through the roof with Rolex not being able to keep up with demand. We also need to remember that Rolex makes other non sports models, DJs, DDs, precious metals, serti that stay on the shelves a lot longer. One just need to walk into any AD to see these non sports models on display. You can buy one on the spot. The ADs are expected to move these non sports models as well. The ADs cannot pick and choose and say to Rolex that I only want SS sports models. What gets allocated to the AD depends on what and how soon they move their stocks.

This is where I believe the benefits of the grey dealers come in. The grey dealers 'jiak' these slow moving models, often at a significant discount from the ADs so that these get off the ADs books. To Rolex, the AD has 'sold' these slow moving models. Therefore as incentive from the AD to the grey dealers, they are given some of these high demand sports models at no discount. The grey dealers sell these popular ss sports models at a premium to cover for the slow moving models that they 'jiak' from the ADs.

Unless Rolex decides to ramp up the production of SS sports models significantly and reduce the production of non sports models significantly, the situation of paying a premium will remain for some time.

Leave a comment:

• Oceanklassik
    replied
    Originally posted by mirage View Post
    Just curious, what makes you think so that the new shipment has gone straight into grey dealers? Is the case whereby you have heard people enquiring them with the ADs but there is still no stocks?
    Originally posted by RoyalOak View Post
    It's very clear - you can go to the grey dealers' website to see for yourself. They have BNIB Daytona, Hulk, Batman, SD and Skydwellers (all at premium). Where do you reckon they got these brand new pieces from?

Straight from Rolex Singapore?
    I think this is all speculation on our part. Maybe for some of you, you have your reliable source(s). The grey dealers (or PIs) have their own network of distributors, and some are from overseas. It's anyone's guess how and where these watches came from and to who they are assigned to. But most of the time, these (new) watches were from overseas ADs or dealers. Rarely do you see new local AD watches on sale by the grey dealers.

Even our local ADs have their own network of grey dealers

Leave a comment:

• RoyalOak
    replied
    Just curious, what makes you think so that the new shipment has gone straight into grey dealers? Is the case whereby you have heard people enquiring them with the ADs but there is still no stocks?
    It's very clear - you can go to the grey dealers' website to see for yourself. They have BNIB Daytona, Hulk, Batman, SD and Skydwellers (all at premium). Where do you reckon they got these brand new pieces from?

Straight from Rolex Singapore?

Leave a comment:

• mirage
    replied
    Yes, but the majority of the 2018 shipment has gone straight into grey dealers.

Very odd...

Leave a comment:

• RoyalOak
    replied
    Time check on this.. does anyone know if the "regular" shipment of popular sports models has started to resume?
    Yes, but the majority of the 2018 shipment has gone straight into grey dealers.

Very odd...

Leave a comment:

• mirage
    replied
    I recommend people to stop buying from flippers at current inflated prices, until Q2 2018.

The shipment of these popular sports models will continue from Q1 2018 again as I understood their shipment is currently on hold until end of the year. Just be patient.
    Time check on this.. does anyone know if the "regular" shipment of popular sports models has started to resume?

Leave a comment:

• Submariner1208
    replied
    True

Leave a comment:

• Napster79
    replied
    I recommend people to stop buying from flippers at current inflated prices, until Q2 2018.

The shipment of these popular sports models will continue from Q1 2018 again as I understood their shipment is currently on hold until end of the year. Just be patient.
    Not easy as there will always be people willing to fork out more to get it asap. Just like how iphone's price went crazy few years back especially iphone 6 era.

Leave a comment:

• mirage
    replied
    Rolex manufactures a fixed amount of their models every year. Say hypothetically, they allocate their production of Batman to 15,000 pieces per year and SS datejust 41 black to 30,000 pieces per year, once they hit 15,000 for the Batman in a year, they will just stop. They will not decrease production of DJ41 to make up for the popularity of Batman to produce more Batman.

The demand for the sports models for year 2017 has been very good, resulting in early sold-out of said models. Hence, the ADs around the world have not been receiving a lot of these sports models towards the end of 2017.

Obviously the production and shipment for these sports models will continue in 2018 again. However, Rolex has always been secretive about their production per model and allocation, so it's anyone's guess whether we will see the same dearth situation of these sport models in the late part of 2018.

Back to your earlier question, Rolex has the right to rescind the authorised dealership of any AD if they are continually found not acting on Rolex's advice. This is the one thing that all the ADs fear given the lucrative Rolex relationship. The power is with Rolex here...
    Understood. Let's see if the situation improves once production resumes for 2018.

Leave a comment:

• mirage
    replied
    Originally posted by Sharky23 View Post
    Even AD's mark up now!!! I think the pricing has all gone haywire!
    Really? For which models?

Leave a comment:

• Sharky23
    replied
    Ever since Rolex instructed local AD to sell their watches at retail price, the prices now in the 2nd hand market are even higher than what they were before the instruction!

Does this even make sense? Lately I saw another member selling a Hulk at 15.3k in this forum! I remember the same piece was sold by the AD at 13-13.5k before the Rolex instruction. 2k price increase in half a year!

The Hulk, Batman, SD and the Daytona are now the flipper's grail pieces!
    Even AD's mark up now!!! I think the pricing has all gone haywire!

Leave a comment:

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
Working...
X