Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FACTS About Water Resistant Claims

Since having seen some chatter here about the topic, allow me to share:

By Scott A. Ekleberry - Watchmaker (Itsabouttimeonline.com)

No manufacturer or watchmaker will guarantee your watch to be waterproof or water resistant(unless he is insane). WHY?

Well, they once did, but then if we remember correctly, someone died in a diving accident or something around 1970. There was major litigation and then it was "open season" on any watch that said "waterproof" and leaked. In other countries, many watchmakers and even some watch manufactures were forced out of business after they were sued as the consumer protection laws are very strict in a lot of other countries. In the US, the Federal Trade Commission mandated that no watch ever be labelled "waterproof" again. So, when the old stock was sold off, "water resistant" became the key words. Does that mean your watch won't stand up to the water? Not really, but it keeps all of us in the trade from being sued because the responsibility now rests with the consumer.

As a general guide, if the watch says "water resistant", it may be suitable for washing your hands but we probably wouldn't go swimming or wash the car with it on. If your watch says "water resistant to 50-100 meters"(5-10 ATM), it is suitable for some swimming and you can probably go snorkeling with it. If it is rated for 200 meters and more(20 BARS), then you can probably go diving with it. In any event, if you plan to do any "water sports" with the watch, have the water resistance checked regularly. Spending S$30 to have it checked is a LOT cheaper than having to buy a new watch!

Two important points:
    • Do NOT shower with your watch on. The soap and shampoo, and so on, can eat the gaskets and turn them into "goo"!

Do NOT pull out the crown or use ANY buttons on the watch while under the water(or in the water). To do so will instantly allow water to enter the watch! There is ONE exception to the pusher rule, some of the just released watches use magnetic switchers in their pushers and hence, do not have any way for water to enter when the pushers are used. This feature is only on a few watches(and they are VERY expensive).

Happy reading !
    The Crown Of Achievement

good post esp the part on showering with yr watch. i'm just wondering who would take a shower with a rollie on. the bracelet may potentially leave some marks on the body if not careful during scrubbing. the aspect of shampoo and soap eating into the gasket is absolutely spot on but it will take considerable periof of time before the gasket starts to "erode" away.
    Remnants of my irresponsibility:
    "Foreign affections"
    1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
    2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
    3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
    4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
    What's NEXT?

Comment

I do, with my Exp II....I tot the case is screwed on tightly that water and suds should not seeps in. I didn't know that the shower foam will affect the gasket so much. I showered with my Omega SeaMaster for the last 4 years and so far no problem. Sent for servicing and no parts were replaced.
      Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 M
      Rolex GMT-Master II 116710 M
      Rolex GMT-Master I 16700 U
      Rolex Explorer II 16570 Z
      Rolex Air-King 114200 M
      Omega SeaMaster
      Tag Heuer 6000 series, 90's Swatch watches, Seikos and Russian watches

Comment

dun fret abt the showering part lah. after all, we dun shower with industrial detergent rite? it's the swimming in chlorinated water & seawater that we should be more concerned abt. that's why a rinse with fresh water is an absolute MUST after every dive. come think of it, i hv never rinsed my timex after so many swims in the sea but still ok leh.
        Remnants of my irresponsibility:
        "Foreign affections"
        1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
        2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
        3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
        4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
        What's NEXT?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
        Working...
        X