Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a crown for every achievement: what's your rolex story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a crown for every achievement: what's your rolex story?

i'm not sure if there has been a similar post on sg-roc, but for some of us, getting/buying a rolex has been about marking a milestone in life.

after my NS... about 10 years ago... i had to leave home to study in the states. my dad told me to buy a rolex watch because it will last me a lifetime, just like the 1601 that he has worn every day for multiple decades.

now, my dad is not an ostentatious man (no branded cars/clothes) although he owns his own business. he's a simple man with simple taste.

he has 2 yellow gold rolex watches (one DJ mentioned above, and another DD) that he bought a long time ago when they were cheap, to mark his own milestones.

he also has a habit of tucking whatever extra $50 or $100 notes that is unused in his personal safe, and that was how he saved his leftover "spending money."

so i told my dad i'll probably need around $6k for a sub. he went to his safe and i was given a few wads of cash. 3 pieces of $1,000 and 30 pieces of $100 and 20 pieces of $50, total of $7,000.

he quietly told me to keep the change for a rainy day, not spend money unnecessarily, that rolex watch these days are expensive, and told me the story of his two rolex watches.

i still remember that when i looked at the way most of the notes were folded or kept, i realized these $7,000 were slowly saved over many years...

what's worse, i did not actually buy a 14060 sub as planned but instead spent the money on a motorcycle overseas. my dad never did query me about the watch purchase nor asked to see it.

i guess i was young and had other priorities! so whenever i was in singapore, i would wear a fake rolex.

my misdeeds led to regular thoughts of what a bad son i was during the many years following.

just before my graduation (after 7 long hard years of studying), i decided i had to finally buy a real rolex sub or i couldn't face my dad.

so i traded my seahawk for a 14060M, wore it to the airport and picked my parents up.

on the day of my graduation, my dad took me aside and told me how proud he was of me, slipped his watch off his wrist and handed me his YG 18038... he said that now that i had made something for myself, the DD's mine.

(this was his only other watch and he wore it only for special occasions - he had bought it to celebrate my birth)

so during my graduation ceremony, i wore my dad's watch (slightly tight), and i made him wear mine (slightly loose).

although my submariner story doesn't quite end up here (i will eventually lose the sub, and had to buy another one), this is my rolex story.

what's yours?
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Nice story! Thanks for sharing!!

BTW, did your dad buy another Rolex for himself after he gave you his YG 18038??

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story.

I should have gotten a Rolex when my kid was born too!
      Unfortunately, at that time, cannot afford or perhaps got my priority wrong. But hey, at least i managed to get one - 2 years after he was born, that will be the one i intend to pass to him after he graduate. and if situation permits, perhaps also get him a brand new Rolex of his choice.
      My Small Collection :
      GMT II 16710 Coke U series
      JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
      Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
      Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
      Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
      PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
      BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

no, he did not buy any replacement rolex.

his 18038 was in super terrific condition, as it was very rarely worn and everything is stock.

he gave his YG 1601 to my elder brother, it has a custom 24/22k bracelet + original YG bracelet.

he wears a 6R15 seiko that i bought for his 60th birthday.

simple man, simple taste!
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

That was a great story. Thanks for sharing!

I do not have one as touching to share though.

Just the turbulence of life, financially.

Age 15 - First Rolex (14060)
          Age 18 - No more Rolex
          Age 23 - "First" Rolex again (15210)
          Age 24 - 30 Rolex
          Age 26 - Left 1 Rolex
          Age 27 - No more Rolex
          Age 32 - "First" Rolex again (116710LN)
          Age 33 - 6 Rolex

Hopefully, no more downwards spirals!! HUAT HUAT HUAT!!!
          [FONT="Verdana"][B]The Best Dive Is Always The Next One[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Wow! Champion man.... at the age of 24 you have 30 Rolex???

Originally posted by caeden View Post
            That was a great story. Thanks for sharing!

I do not have one as touching to share though.

Just the turbulence of life, financially.

Age 15 - First Rolex (14060)
            Age 18 - No more Rolex
            Age 23 - "First" Rolex again (15210)
            Age 24 - 30 Rolex
            Age 26 - Left 1 Rolex
            Age 27 - No more Rolex
            Age 32 - "First" Rolex again (116710LN)
            Age 33 - 6 Rolex

Hopefully, no more downwards spirals!! HUAT HUAT HUAT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
              Wow! Champion man.... at the age of 24 you have 30 Rolex???
              That's a great achievement!!
              My Small Collection :
              GMT II 16710 Coke U series
              JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
              Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
              Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
              Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
              PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
              BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

Age 24 i have 50k debt and u have 30 rolex.... My gosh!!!Rolex resale really gd man...

TS amazing story. I told my wife that too. When we have children we buy a sport model for them.

Comment

Originally posted by iMac08 View Post
                  Age 24 i have 50k debt and u have 30 rolex.... My gosh!!!Rolex resale really gd man...

TS amazing story. I told my wife that too. When we have children we buy a sport model for them.
                  my wife will ask me go fly kite if I suggest that..haha

Comment

actually........=( she told me that too...........

Comment

at the age of 22 i got my 1st ah beng style datejust 16233 with aftermarket diamond bezel...then things goes down hill when i was 24....just managed to recover the down hill trend when i was 26.....haha..life for me is certainly a roller coaster....
                      Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Nice story and great achievement indeed, and thanks for sharing.

I'm not from a well to do family and my dad can't (absolutely can't) afford a Rolex. We were very much spent our money on daily necessary things like food. Dad told me about Rolex those days but never occurred to me I'll buy one....

After I started my first job 20 years ago, our family financial strength started to improve but sad to share my Dad passed away before my university graduation. I know he wanted me to study hard and join me on my university graduation day. Unfortunately, we never got our chance to share our happiness together.

Like most of the people, I formed my own family and now I have my own children. I just like my Dad in his old days, sharing my tough life with my children. Somehow, I don't think they can feel the toughness of life in any way, just like me last time when my Dad told his story. At times, I also mentioned Rolex to them but never got a chance to show them one.

Things started to change two years back when I was seriouly looking one Rolex for myself. I was looking around for Rolex watches, new and pre-owned, but never commit one until early this year. I bought my first Rolex to mark an important milestone in my life. I bought one Rolex to remember my Dad, and hope to pass it down, together with its story, to my offspring.

I'm now a SD owner and I'm extremely happy with my SD. Occasionally, admired my SD for a few seconds and recalled some of the story my Dad had told me. Hope the story will continue to pass down to the next generation and to remember the great man in the family.....my Dad.

Comment

wow..touching life stories...
                          Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

A crown for every achievement

During my sec school days back in 1990's tag heuer was the craze. My friend brought 1 and I was amused how such a tiny(small size) and unfancy watch will cost $500. Thats a lot of money back then.

I never heard of rolex until some of my friend move from tag to rolex. I was only 16 then. Like most of us, I was born poor. It never occur to me I will buy such a expensive watch as it was not justifiable when I don't even have the money to buy levi's jean.

Fast track to 26 years old, I had a gf whose ex-bf brought a datejust for $5000. She must have been influence by him when one day she casually passed a remark saying she will buy a rolex for herself. I asked her how much and learned that it cost $5k. It was then that I know the price of rolex and I just said 'crazy' beneath my breath.

I couldn't accept how one could spend so much on a watch when I was changing cars every 2 years and losing more money that way.

Along the way, I chalked up hefty credit card bills and rolex watch was not even in my dictionary. I spent 3 years clearing my debts and only had $100 spare every month for leisure.

During one of my brain-storming on earning money, I found out people, especially guys like to spend on watch rather than clothing. I found a supplier from germany and began to sell german automatic watch. I was 29 then.

As the extra cash pour in, I begin to look at omega and rolex. I made my first purchased on a Omega speedmaster and I had my first Rolex at the age of 31. It was a GMT master 16700 which I sold it when I was 32.

Thou the time was short, I have learn so much about rolex and admired their business model so much that I fall in love with them rather than the watch itself. Haha.

Now, I owned 3 of them and one is currently on sale. Hehe. Like my friend always tell me: Your collection is never complete unless you own a Rolex. I will pass 1 of my rolex watch to my children in future ONLY if they achieve something in life as thats the way this watch is being present. Only then can they truely love the watch and keep it forever. Thats my humble story on rolex and hope it won't bore you.

Comment

Originally posted by iMac08 View Post
                              actually........=( she told me that too...........
                              Later, i ll propose this idea to my wife..hope she wnt ask me to fly kite..
                              Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
                              Future - Geneva hallmark
                              Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X