No announcement yet.

Need Advice: New discontinued Sub 16610 or Preowned GMT II Coke 16760 Fat lady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: New discontinued Sub 16610 or Preowned GMT II Coke 16760 Fat lady

Hi all experts,

I would like to seek advice on whether to get the collectible GMT Master II 16760 – “Fat Lady” or a brand new discontinued Submariner 16610? Which one should I get as I only can get one piece at this moment? I was offered $7200 for the GMT 16760 by a dealer. What is fair market value for GMT 16760 now?

I really can’t decide which one. I like the old dual coke color that makes it classic but I also like the classic design of the discontinued Sub 16610. One is 20 years classic and the other is brand new discontinued model.

Any information you could supply would be helpful. Thanks!

if you want real advice from the members, the least you can do is tell us your current collection or actual concerns are.

your question is akin to: should i drink roast barley or ginseng tea?

collectibility aside, the sub moves fast if you need cash, and you can bang it around a little more than the gmt2. easier to find a sub in good condition too.

IMO, buy whatever you like more. both are excellent watches. even better; buy both!
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Hi Bro,

Thanks for the advice. By the way, this is my first rolex watch purchase )

Comment

Originally posted by Navigator2009 View Post
        Hi Bro,

Thanks for the advice. By the way, this is my first rolex watch purchase )
        let's see... (collectability aside)

the 16760, is (again) a "transitional" and revolutionary watch produced for about 5-6 years; with a then "new" 3085 within, sapphire crystal, racheting bezel, and its famous big thick case (then "new" 904L).

the sub runs on a bullet proof 3135 (still used in the new sub and DSSD), and has been around for a long long time since getting renamed from 168000 to 16610, and i foresee it will be around for a similarly long time more.

functionality:

the gmt2 is a dual time watch - good if you need a second time zone (do you fly/trade/travel?). it works just like the revised gmt2 (delinked hour hand).

the sub tells you regular time, which is what most people have. both have a date option.

service wise, i believe both models are still being accepted for overhaul by RSCs around the world. full range of parts are definitely available for the sub, including replacement cases.

HOWEVER i am unsure if fat lady cases are common to find in RSC inventory. 3085 parts should not be a big issue as it shares some if not most parts with the 3185 that replaced it (i don't collect gmt2s so i don't know them very well).

your primary concerns would be finding a fatlady gmt2 in good condition, and if you're looking to kickstart a watch/rolex collection, one with an interesting dial, case in good (preferably unpolished) condition, and possibly with an original matte bezel insert.

although it has a bigger case, to me it did not wear any more larger/heavier than a regular gmt2, so do not let size be a factor.

as for the sub... honestly, i think subs are dripping everywhere you look - easy to find/buy. so look for one in the newest/best condition and the best deal you can find.

if you're thinking the sub is too new and you want a dive watch but older, like the fatlady, why not look for a 168000? it's also transitional, produced for a short time,. best bit: it's currently underappreciated by most (ie, no premium).

pricing-wise, i have no comment. you should be doing such legwork yourself.

whatever it is, strap them both on your wrist before pulling out the dollar bills. you will probably find one nicer than the other. the difficulty is only in finding a local seller with a fatlady that you can harangue into meeting...

just remember that a good dealer (authorized or not) would be one that makes you feel comfortable. even if he charges you slightly more, you would have an enjoyable watch purchasing/learning experience and that is what watches should be about...
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Hi Bro,

I really appreciate your help and useful information about GMT and Sub. At least I have some ideas now on what to look for my watch acquisition....Thanks and have a nice day ahead!!!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X