Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of Japan AD

Hi Guys ,

Just wanna share my bad experience with Japan AD recently.

Since i join this forum, my love for GMT-Master II 116710 grew so strongly that I decide to own one soon. Last week while i was holidaying in Tokyo. I chanced upon a Rolex shop in Ginza. Straight away i pop in to check out 116710. When i saw it was available, I went to check out the price.

The price tag state 2 prices. Since i don't understand japanese, i ask the sales person. He told me the lower amount reflect the after tax amount. I thought to myself tat I'll going to get a piece at 5% discount from list price. Isn't it great.

However, he told me to pay the list price and to GET REFUND AT THE AIRPORT.He proceed to bring out the box, fill up a form which he say warranty card will be send to me in 1 month time (which i start to ponder if it's true).

I didn't know i get cheated only when i arrived at the airport and proceed to the custom to hand over a form which state my purchase price. I asked for my 5% refund and was told Japan don't have a tax refund system at the airport. We are supposed to ask for immediate discount when we make our purchase.

So guys don't believe in them when they ask you to collect refund in airport. I believe them cos i claim refund in europe before and singapore works the same way.Just remember to ask for tax refund immediately on your japan trip.
    Beware of this shop http://www.nsdo.co.jp/nb/profile/profile.html

Oh dear.. I empathise wif ur situation and will take serious note of that. Jus curious to find out how much u had paid for the GMT M2? And if u get to claim back tat 5%, how much would tat b?

Thanx n hope u r fine wif te watch. As a consolation, at least u knw te watch is authentic. Dun take it too hard.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by SOHrolex View Post
      Hi Guys ,

Just wanna share my bad experience with Japan AD recently.

Since i join this forum, my love for GMT-Master II 116710 grew so strongly that I decide to own one soon. Last week while i was holidaying in Tokyo. I chanced upon a Rolex shop in Ginza. Straight away i pop in to check out 116710. When i saw it was available, I went to check out the price.

The price tag state 2 prices. Since i don't understand japanese, i ask the sales person. He told me the lower amount reflect the after tax amount. I thought to myself tat I'll going to get a piece at 5% discount from list price. Isn't it great.

However, he told me to pay the list price and to GET REFUND AT THE AIRPORT.He proceed to bring out the box, fill up a form which he say warranty card will be send to me in 1 month time (which i start to ponder if it's true).

I didn't know i get cheated only when i arrived at the airport and proceed to the custom to hand over a form which state my purchase price. I asked for my 5% refund and was told Japan don't have a tax refund system at the airport. We are supposed to ask for immediate discount when we make our purchase.

So guys don't believe in them when they ask you to collect refund in airport. I believe them cos i claim refund in europe before and singapore works the same way.Just remember to ask for tax refund immediately on your japan trip.
      Beware of this shop http://www.nsdo.co.jp/nb/profile/profile.html
      I went to Burberry in Ginza and when I went to pay for the items, they immediately requested for my passport, fill up a tax-rebate form and then proceed to take out the difference in the final bill. Not all shops have tax rebate, it seems though...
      Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 M
      Rolex GMT-Master II 116710 M
      Rolex GMT-Master I 16700 U
      Rolex Explorer II 16570 Z
      Rolex Air-King 114200 M
      Omega SeaMaster
      Tag Heuer 6000 series, 90's Swatch watches, Seikos and Russian watches

Comment

Originally posted by williamsgl View Post
        I went to Burberry in Ginza and when I went to pay for the items, they immediately requested for my passport, fill up a tax-rebate form and then proceed to take out the difference in the final bill. Not all shops have tax rebate, it seems though...
        i can concur, my wife bought some lv stuff at roppongi, she said the gal helped with the gst rebate form and took out the gst charge from the final bill....

cld it be with just the luxury goods at boutiques...?
        Rolex GMT Master 1675 16750 16760 16700
        Rolex Yachtmaster 16622
        Submariner 16610LV 16613
        Patek Aquanaut 5165A

Comment

Thks for sharing your experience. Yes, japan duty free is given at the point of sales, not at the airport.

I believed the 2 different price has something to do with local set or parallel import.
          Current Inventory
          Explorer II Black (M)
          Submariner LV (M)
          Datejust TT
          Omega Speedmaster Date
          Adidas (my 10yrs workhorse)

Comment

i bought the watch for S$9670 based on my credit card bill.so 5% of that is about S$400.I would say it depends on the salesperson whether they want to cheat you. Bad impression on Japanese right now.Thought they are very truthful.

Btw, any of you bought a watch in japan before? Will they send the warranty card over to me?cos they just ask me to fill in name n address n contact no. on the form which has some chinese character which state international warranty.

Wonder if can seek recourse on this issue...

Comment

i bought the watch for S$9670 based on my credit card bill.so 5% of that is about S$400.I would say it depends on the salesperson whether they want to cheat you. Bad impression on Japanese right now.Thought they are very truthful.

Btw, any of you bought a watch in japan before? Will they send the warranty card over to me?cos they just ask me to fill in name n address n contact no. on the form which has some chinese character which state international warranty.

I bought my Omega Speedmaster there. The warranty card is given on the spot, not by mail.
              Current Inventory
              Explorer II Black (M)
              Submariner LV (M)
              Datejust TT
              Omega Speedmaster Date

Comment

Thanks for responding. It's a pity you did not manage to save the $400. Heart pain too. Again, you have a genuine piece of jewellery, so no fret.

I think I had read some where in this forum that one of our guys here also had his warranty card sent over after some time. He, too, did not get it immediately. Maybe you check the forum.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by ahwoon View Post
                  I bought my Omega Speedmaster there. The warranty card is given on the spot, not by mail.
                  Rolex is by mail 1...no worries. This u can ask UNCLE pet he bought the sub LV there..then they send the warrenty to him by post

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                    Rolex is by mail 1...no worries. This u can ask UNCLE pet he bought the sub LV there..then they send the warrenty to him by post
                    hmmm..is there a specific reason they dun give out the warranty card on the spot?
                    Current Inventory
                    Explorer II Black (M)
                    Submariner LV (M)
                    Datejust TT
                    Omega Speedmaster Date

Comment

hmmm..is there a specific reason they dun give out the warranty card on the spot?
                      No idea....though...

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

I think you bought the watch for S$9670 is quite a good deal. At least my friend paid S$10500 one month ago. Just enjoy the watch and support local sellers AD/Dealers in future lah...

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                          I think you bought the watch for S$9670 is quite a good deal. At least my friend paid S$10500 one month ago. Just enjoy the watch and support local sellers AD/Dealers in future lah...
                          actually, cannot say that, if local dealer want to "wee hor lan" (draw ghost), then as consumer, we tell AD to fly kite, and he can wait for the next sucker to come and buy.

My AD used to do that to me, but now, they willing to talk price when Im ready.
                          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                          Blue 6694
                          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

I think it also depend on what model and what the local is demanding also... Japanese are more "honest" as they don't mark up as much as the local boys... At least, according to SOHrolex's story, the Japanese did display the price when selling the watch, if you go into a local AD, I bet the price tag of the GMTIIC has nothing on it!!!!
                            Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                            actually, cannot say that, if local dealer want to "wee hor lan" (draw ghost), then as consumer, we tell AD to fly kite, and he can wait for the next sucker to come and buy.

My AD used to do that to me, but now, they willing to talk price when Im ready.

Comment

so no one can "doctor" the date?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X