Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Very First True Rolex (RWC) Submariner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Very First True Rolex (RWC) Submariner.

In 1924, the company R.W.C now named Rolex,launched the first trademarked "Submarine",a water resistant wristwatch.As we all should no The biggest enemy of any watch is water.And without proper seals etc
    even on a warm day the crystal could mist up on wrist when worn.Now
    old Hans Wilsdorf was a clever man,and wanted to increase sales worldwide and especially in tropical climates.So he tried to make a watch that was waterproof.Now the evolution of the oyster case was started,his idea was very simple.He would fit a case inside a case,and called it the Submarine.Now this worked,but had certain drawbacks you had to open the case to wind it.And the outer case had a threaded screw on bezel to protect the watch.This was not user owner friendly and caused wear on the hinges and bezel threads.So he started to look for a new idea for a waterproof wrist watch.So later in 1925 he heard that two watchmakers one was Paul Perregaux.Had taken out a swiss patent for a twin lock screwed stem system crown.Now Hans Wilsdorf of Rolex grasped that a hermetically sealed case, together with careful fitting of the crystal and a special stem mechanism, would produce a better water proof wristwatch.He quickly negotiated to have the Perregaux patent assigned to him. Wilsdorf then obtained a British patent on October 18 1926.And then soon after the Rolex Oyster was born and became a commercial success.. In 1927, a stenographer, Mercedes Gleitze, swam the English Channel with the unheard of accompaniment of a wristwatch –the Rolex Oyster— on her wrist for the entire 15 hour, 15 minute,swim and the rest is Rolex history,and had to wait 30 odd years for the rebirth,from Submarine, to Submariner..

First Rolex Submarine.

Paul Perregaux patent screwed stem system 1925,which Hans Wilsdorf of Rolex acquired,to make the first oyster cased Rolex.

that is a submariner!! wow!! first time seeing. thanks for sharing!
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
      that is a submariner!! wow!! first time seeing. thanks for sharing!
      No that was the "Submarine" the Submariner came around 30 years later

Comment

This is very similar to mine!

Comment

wow what watch is that?

didn't know there was a submarine.
          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Cool info! Thks for sharing
            运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X