"Superlative Chronometer"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Superlative Chronometer"

A Swiss chronometer is a Swiss chronometer and if the movements are a certain size are tested to the same standard no matter what the brand.And a Superlative chronometer is no better than any other swiss tested chronometer.

A chronometer certificate is not a guarantee of future accuracy only a certification of the bare movement tested at the COSC at that time of testing. Watch movements that have been certified can get out of adjustment and perform quite poorly and have to be regulated.Most movements that were not certified could still exceed the COSC standards with just simple regulation.Many of the manufacturers may have simply chosen to bypass the expense of the certification process at COSC its quite expensive to test every single movement. But today the COSC is little more than a pure marketing tool and means little in actual performance only the fact its been tested.

The term "Superlative Chronometer" is a now trademark of Rolex. The addition of the word "Superlative" in front of the official designation of Chronometer, is merely a Rolex marketing ploy angle, to give it a more distinguished sound to the chronometer status of their products, in other words complete bull. As all watches that have earned the privilege of bearing the official Swiss designation of Chronometer have to meet the exact same C.O.S.C. standards. Any words added before or after the official designation of Chronometer are merely marketing ploys, which Rolex sometimes can be very good at.There are not any different grades or levels of chronometer certification,but Rolex would like you to think there is.Likewise the wording Certified Chronometer also means nothing different than just plain Chronometer,its a redundant phrase word,since getting Chronometer status is the certification, the certified is just more complete bull to make it sound better.

The European DIN 8319 and Japanese equivalent are to a far higher standard than the now very antiquated Swiss COSC . The Din standards as stated in the regulation consists of a 15-25 day monitoring period for each mechanical watch in the following positions very similar to the Swiss test crown left, crown up, crown down, dial up and dial down.Tested at temperatures from 8c-38c,the average daily variation cannot be more than five-seconds.The Swiss COSC could go up to 10 seconds in the first 10 days of testing.And DIN test the movement is tested inside its real case rather than inside a temporary case for later installation like Swiss COSC.

The DIN tested movements must endure the environmental and positional tests without losing more than 4 seconds, or gaining 6 seconds, per day.And normal DIN standards are -2 +4 seconds over 24 hours Swiss COSC -4+6.Fact today 90% of all movements submitted to the Swiss COSC and Rolex is the biggest contributor pass this antiquated test first time.While Rolex make excellent movements sometimes in there very long life they will need some simple regulation.But please dont get too worried of a few seconds over COSC spec IMO not worth getting the back off for say 2 or 3 seconds.

Thanks for the info! Great article!

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
      Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Very informative. I've learnt something new today!

Comment

Great info, thks for sharing....
          Current:
          No More Liao...

Comment

Thanks for the great info....

I am curious if the rollies will pass the DIN anyways even though it is just tested to COSC?

Comment

Originally posted by Chunster69 View Post
              Thanks for the great info....

I am curious if the rollies will pass the DIN anyways even though it is just tested to COSC?
              With a bit of patience and very careful regulation almost any movement could be made run to the COSC spec or less.But it will need a lot more regulation to keep it there,while a chronometer made movement should keep within spec for a very much longer period.Myself have done many experiments with many movements the best was a Chinese Seagull ST19.Now this complete proper working 2 register chronograph manual wind watch cost just $60,and out of the box when tested on timing machine was a little over COSC spec +8 seconds.But with some regulation it has amazed me how accurate it has been now for over four years.Its well inside the COSC spec but in those four years have re-regulated it to keep the very fine accuracy of a very humble and very low price movement.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Great info..

Comment

great info...

Comment

Superlative means :

"Of the highest kind, quality, or order; surpassing all else or others; supreme; extreme"

True in context??
                    It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
                    Aristotle Onassis

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
                    Nido Qubein

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
                    Jimmy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by blingking View Post
                      Superlative means :

"Of the highest kind, quality, or order; surpassing all else or others; supreme; extreme"

True in context??
                      Well not true in this particular context as a Superlative Chronometer is no better than any other Swiss tested Chronometer with the same size movement.And it most certainly don't surpass all else or others; supreme; extreme"except for making it sound good and supreme sounding.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X