Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The progression of my collection... aka the story of a watch flipper!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The progression of my collection... aka the story of a watch flipper!

Hello,
    Since 2008 I have been actively photographing my watches for insurance purposes as well as trying to improve my photography skills. Taking pictures of watches is not as easy as it sounds.

I was going through some old photos and I thought this would make an interesting posting for this forum. It is always interesting to see how a collector grows his/her collection.

The progression covers early 2008 to the present day (early 2011).

The rules for our (me and the wife) collection are as follows:-
    3-4 ladies pieces + 3-4 mens pieces. I believe in equal rights!
    I like to have a full box in the safe (6 watches) plus 2 extra to wear. This way we always have a full box of watches in the safe.

In 2011 I was doing some soul searching and I decided to stuff the rules and expand our collection to a box each! This means 12 watches in 2 boxes + 2 watches to wear at any given time. Todate I presently have 5 ladies pieces and 5 men’s pieces. No rush to expand but definitely wanting to add 4 extra pieces over time!

2008 – A nice line up! 18K Ladies Cartier Diablo and 18K VLC with diamonds PLUS a killer Ladies President – 69178 Factory Diamond dial and Aftermarket diamond bezel.
    I was also happy with the men’s lineup. Omega Speedie Pro, Rolex 16233 with factory diamond dial and a nice modern Brietling Navitimer.

early 2009 – In early 2009 I finally achieved a 4 lineup in the men’s section with the addition of a TT Cartier Santos Moonphase (quartz).

late 2009 – In 2009 I had a small inheritance come my way. I decided to get my Holy Grail watch! A white gold Patek Philippe Calatrava 5107 – the Grande Talle Patek! I sold a few of my watches to assist with the purchase – sold Cartier TT as I could not live with the quartz movement, sold the Breitling Navitimer and sold the Omega Speedie. Bought a TT Cartier Panther as it was MINT and acted as a bit of stuffing filler! Otherwise I would only have 2 men’s watches!

early 2010 – I sold the quartz Cartier Panther men’s and also my beloved TT Rolex DateJust 16233. The “ah pek” comments about Two Tone from this forum were starting to hurt my heart! Sold the Cartier Diamond VLC as it really is not a great Cartier – the movement is supposed to be trouble and it is not really a classic…. Replaced the Cartier Ladies 18K VLC with an all time Ladies Classic – Mini Baignoire. Baignoire is the number 1 selling watch in Japan (my wife is Japanese). Sold the Ladies President as it was a 9 million serial number and getting a bit old. Also wanted to reduce some credit card debt which was the result of the Patek 5107 purchase! Bought a mint 69173 for the wife – with Japanese market diamond dial. Also bought my favorite sports men’s watch – The Black dial Explorer II 16570. Also bought a mint 16234 (crisp as a new bank note).

mid 2010 – Sold the Explorer II Black dial and bought my true love – a 36mm Explorer I. Why you might ask… well my first Rolex was a 1016 Explorer I and the 14270 is a modern version of this watch at a bargain price. Also I was able to take a US$1000- out of the deal to pay for some car repairs! (OUCH!)

early 2011 – Sold the 16234 for really good profit (I DID NOT WANT TO SELL THIS WATCH!) and replaced her with an Omega Speedie Pro 861 movement. I was not wearing the DateJust much – but once I sold her I started to miss her badly!

2011 – An auntie wanted a Rolex and it had to be TWO TONE! I convinced the wife to sell hers and get a 69174 steel with white gold bezel instead. Also the deal allowed for $1000- profit! Used that $1000- to buy a White dial Explorer II !

Our other 3 watches:-
    Ladies 69174 (much more desirable than a TT)

Rolex Explorer II Polar

A Vintage Vacheron 6405 with Geneve Seal movement (K1001). Currently away getting restored. Needs a professional polish in order to bring in good $$$

I enjoyed reading and tx for the great effort to share with us
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Please note - the $1000- did not cover the Polar Explorer II purchase in full. The US$1000- was merely a big deposit!
      But a US$1000- is a good way there! Watch will cost me US$3000- with Oyster Bracelet.

Comment

It is the Patek that is most beautiful of all.
        I hope I don't get struck by lightning. - Barbarella

Comment

This is an amazing account. Well done!

Comment

Nice write up and pictures! I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
            1 3 5
            ├┼┼╕
            2 4 6 R

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
              Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X