Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a Rolex still keep good time after 20 yrs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Rolex still keep good time after 20 yrs?

I was just wondering if a Rolex can still meet the chronograph specs. after say 20 yrs of daily usage as a tool watch?

While I realize there are many factors involved but assume the watch has never sustained any damage and has been serviced according to recommendations.

Also, why should the internal parts corrode if the sealing is as good as they say it is?

Thanks.

Chronograph specs Do you mean chronometer - COSC spec? A 20-year-old chronometer (or maybe even non chronometer) certified watch could be regulated to COSC standard if the watch/movement had been well maintained. How long the accuracy can be maintained depends very much on the usage of the watch and how the watch is kept. A brand new chronometer certified watch could go out of spec after a few months of usage, speaking from my own experience.

The level of water proof/resistant of a watch will reduce over time due to wear and tear (and again how well it is taken care of). In many cases water does not get in from the seal of the back case but from the gap of the front glass/sapphire and the crown(s). Which is why the watch maker, after servicing a vintage watch, always remind the owner to keep the watch away from water despite its water resistant spec.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

I believe you mean COSC. not chronograph.

I have yet to see anyone buying a daytona to use its chronograph daily as a tool.
      Maybe a high end trainer?

I salute if someone take a daytona and time shutter run, sit up etc.. daily 100s of time.
      that will really test the endurance of the movement hehe.
      Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

In a word: yes depending on condition.

think of your watch like car. if you rebuild the car or repair broken parts. the car will definitely run like it was supposed to. however, if you neglect the car, will it work? most likely not.
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Sorry. Yes, it should be COSC spec.

pegasi - are there any wear parts like 0-rings etc on the sapphire or crown that can be replaced periodically to preserve its resistivity and how often should this be done? I do not use my sub for diving or heavy outdoor activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Submariner Guy View Post
            pegasi - are there any wear parts like 0-rings etc on the sapphire or crown that can be replaced periodically to preserve its resistivity and how often should this be done? I do not use my sub for diving or heavy outdoor activities.
            Yes, brand like Rolex keeps spare parts for quite a long time. The other question you ask I have no answer...if you ask that to Rolex or any other makers they will tell you to send the watch back for servicing every x years. The servicing will normally cover the water resistant test for watches that are supposed to be water resistant, that is if you send it back to the agent. Some reputable 3rd-party service centre like JW does perform water resistant test as part of servicing/overhaul.
            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

pegasi - who is JW and where are they located? Thanks.

Comment

pegasi - who is JW and where are they located? Thanks.
                http://www.jwwatch.com/
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

ok - tq for the info. will drop by their shop one of these days.

Comment

I was just wondering if a Rolex can still meet the chronometer specs. after say 20 yrs of daily usage as a tool watch?

While I realize there are many factors involved but assume the watch has never sustained any damage and has been serviced according to recommendations.
                    also, even if the seals are fine, carelessness (forgot to screw in crown properly and then jump into the sea) can sometimes result in disastrous consequences.

chronometer specs can be adjusted by any competent watchmaker, UNLESS the movement is so dry that such adjustment is futile... at which time i recommend an overhaul, afterwhich timing and adjustments will be made.
                    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

taxico - I hear when you send a watch to a RSC for overhaul they would fully disassemble the movement, ultrasonically clean the parts, put on new grease and replace all worn components. I am thinking of sending my watches to a 3rd party service company but will they do all this and how reliable are they? Any recommendations?

Comment

taxico - I hear when you send a watch to a RSC for overhaul they would fully disassemble the movement, ultrasonically clean the parts, put on new grease and replace all worn components. I am thinking of sending my watches to a 3rd party service company but will they do all this and how reliable are they? Any recommendations?
                        some people (including me) have had good experiences with 3rd party watch makers. usually the ones that have worked at RSC before tend to be reliable. personally i have used Top Hour and was generally pleased with his work.

of course, if you feel that your watch requires the best service and attention to detail, there is no better option than to send it into RSC - this naturally comes at a price, but you are guaranteed certain things that a 3rd party watch maker cannot.
                        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I totally agree that Mr. Lim from Top hour is one of the prefer shop other than RSC for servicing.
                          sent my 6694 for servicing, only the head as the old bracelet was replaced by leather strap. can really feel that the watch is winding more smoothly compare to before. My wife's eye wide open when I show her the after service / polish watch with the new carbon strap from Hirsch. Nowadays she put on the 6694 more than me.

Comment

Forget to mentioned the price is probably 1/5 of what RSC is charging.

Comment

thanks for the advice guys. Gathering from some of the stories on the forum, I think it is simply ridiculous the way the RSC is charging you'd be able to get a brand new watch after sending it in a couple of times. Also my last encounter with them did not leave a very good impression. As someone said, the RSC is only for newbies.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X