Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectors delima.... What can I do?

Hello,
    I thought it would be good to see my current collection and talk about my future directions.
    I have a simple rule for watches - I keep 6 watches I absolutely love and if I am not wearing 1 watch I sell it and buy something I really love.

These rules have kept me in good stead HOWEVER,.... it no longer works.
    I have 7 watches in my stable at present and the wife wants to buy me a special watch for my 40th birthday late next year..... she has been reformed - she now acknowledges that watches are so important to me. She understands the importance of my watches and she is now happy to add to my collection (after I bought her a Patek 24).

My collection comprises the following:-

PATEK PHILIPPE CALATRAVA 5107
    My Holy Grail piece. The first Patek I bought not because it was good value or on discount. The 5107 in White Gold is pure class and is simple the most honest Patek I have ever seen. It can be worn by a President, World Leader or Billionaire with pride.

AP ULTRA THIN
    This watch was my father's. I think mid 70s? It is so lovely. It uses the AP 2003 movement - the thinnest movement made by AP (a shared effort used by JPC, AP and VC - VC version is K1003). I love the Ultra Thin period of watchmaking. Ultra Thin is starting to come back in fashion. Hoping to replace the dial - any idea of pricing for a new dial? - DIAL PRICE IS $1200- FROM AP - AP IS A RIP OFF!

VACHERON & CONSTANTIN 6405
    My grandfather's watch. He was a doctor. This watch was half a years salary in 1967 (when my dad started his working career as a bank teller - his annual salary was $2006- The VC was $850-) Just a lovely honest watch. I love the VC name and range.

AP ROYAL OAK
    When I made my first million dollars in 1996/7 I bought a special watch to celebrate. Sadly I bought the quartz version! I was not a WIS at the time. Also quartz was not shunned..... I also bought a Patek 3944 at the same time. I love the AP Royal Oak. I also love the 2 tone look.

CARTIER PANTHER
    A never sell piece as a gift from my wife. Money is not everything in this vulgar world.

OMEGA SPEEDIE PRO
    I have owned a Speedie before and sold it foolishly.... never again. Every collection needs and iconic chronograph.

ROLEX EXPLORER II
    My all time favorite Rolex - The Rolex Explorer II White dial. The white dial was worth more in the late 90s!!! How fashion is so fickle! Great sports watch and a Rolex to Boot!

FUTURE - I have 2 desires in the future. An oversized JLC Reverso .... ie a Reverso Date or similar and a special AP. My wife is planning to give me this special watch for my 40th birhday in 16 months time.... an ALL STEEL AP ROYAL OAK AUTOMATIC. I really love the look of the white or blue dial. Probably extend my watch rule to these current 7 + the 2 menthioned piece..... I also still need a diver's watch!!!!

you should buy this "limited edition" watch:

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/68729
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Good suggestion!!
      Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post

Brilliant idea.

Comment

Such an interesting day at forum today!!!
          Current
          ------------
          SS Rolex Submariner (Black)
          SS Rolex Daytona (Black)
          SS Rolex Explorer II 42mm (Black)

Comment

The best, out of this world.
            Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

why no picture of the AP RO quartz? and why haven't you mentioned about the explorer? what "achievements" were made when it was bought?

how about the story of the lizard strap on the explorer 2? where's the love, baby...

p/s: if you think $1,200 for a dial is a lot of money to pay, wait until you find out how much it will cost to service these watches.
              “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I use an independant "old" watchmaker.... I don't use the manufacturer's service centre unless I need parts....

Comment

The "untouchables" would be the trinity of your PP, your dad's AP and your granddad's VC. Next would be your wife's first watch gift (Cartier) and your first Rolex.

If you really want to keep to 6 watches, I think RO Quartz and the Speedie can go. That's just a suggestion.

Comment

I will gladly take the Moon Watch off your hands. 2.5K?

Comment

Originally posted by Archie42 View Post
                      Hello,
                      I thought it would be good to see my current collection and talk about my future directions.
                      I have a simple rule for watches - I keep 6 watches I absolutely love and if I am not wearing 1 watch I sell it and buy something I really love.

These rules have kept me in good stead HOWEVER,.... it no longer works.
                      I have 7 watches in my stable at present and the wife wants to buy me a special watch for my 40th birthday late next year..... she has been reformed - she now acknowledges that watches are so important to me. She understands the importance of my watches and she is now happy to add to my collection (after I bought her a Patek 24).

My collection comprises the following:-

PATEK PHILIPPE CALATRAVA 5107
                      My Holy Grail piece. The first Patek I bought not because it was good value or on discount. The 5107 in White Gold is pure class and is simple the most honest Patek I have ever seen. It can be worn by a President, World Leader or Billionaire with pride.

AP ULTRA THIN
                      This watch was my father's. I think mid 70s? It is so lovely. It uses the AP 2003 movement - the thinnest movement made by AP (a shared effort used by JPC, AP and VC - VC version is K1003). I love the Ultra Thin period of watchmaking. Ultra Thin is starting to come back in fashion. Hoping to replace the dial - any idea of pricing for a new dial? - DIAL PRICE IS $1200- FROM AP - AP IS A RIP OFF!

VACHERON & CONSTANTIN 6405
                      My grandfather's watch. He was a doctor. This watch was half a years salary in 1967 (when my dad started his working career as a bank teller - his annual salary was $2006- The VC was $850-) Just a lovely honest watch. I love the VC name and range.

AP ROYAL OAK
                      When I made my first million dollars in 1996/7 I bought a special watch to celebrate. Sadly I bought the quartz version! I was not a WIS at the time. Also quartz was not shunned..... I also bought a Patek 3944 at the same time. I love the AP Royal Oak. I also love the 2 tone look.

CARTIER PANTHER
                      A never sell piece as a gift from my wife. Money is not everything in this vulgar world.

OMEGA SPEEDIE PRO
                      I have owned a Speedie before and sold it foolishly.... never again. Every collection needs and iconic chronograph.

ROLEX EXPLORER II
                      My all time favorite Rolex - The Rolex Explorer II White dial. The white dial was worth more in the late 90s!!! How fashion is so fickle! Great sports watch and a Rolex to Boot!

FUTURE - I have 2 desires in the future. An oversized JLC Reverso .... ie a Reverso Date or similar and a special AP. My wife is planning to give me this special watch for my 40th birhday in 16 months time.... an ALL STEEL AP ROYAL OAK AUTOMATIC. I really love the look of the white or blue dial. Probably extend my watch rule to these current 7 + the 2 menthioned piece..... I also still need a diver's watch!!!!
                      too long. did not read.

Comment

Considering a PAM? Watch hunting is a enjoyment too!
                        Current:
                        Panerai 275 J series
                        Rolex GMT2C M series 116710
                        Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2209.50.00
                        Planning:
                        Rolex Daytona WG 116509

Comment

Wow you made multi millions by now.

Your collection is too modest for millionare.

Getting inspiration from certain forum you should:

1. Keep a certain number but flip watches so fast the turnover looks like a business turnover.

2. Buy so many that when you lay all out you cannot see the dining table.
                          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                            Wow you made multi millions by now.

Your collection is too modest for millionare.

Getting inspiration from certain forum you should:

1. Keep a certain number but flip watches so fast the turnover looks like a business turnover.

2. Buy so many that when you lay all out you cannot see the dining table.
                            I am not a MULTI-MILLIONAIRE! I am a very humble person. YES - I made a million dollars by 1996/7 however things went bad shortly after that time.... I kept the AP even though I was technically bankrupt (I never declared bankrupcy - however I did owe $120,000- on my Platinum Amex card at one stage!!!! - PLUS I HAD HEAPS OF OTHER DEBTS!!! - I repaid all my debts)

It is not just making more and more money..... We had the DOT COM bubble burst..... we also had the Bird Flu disaster and then the GFC!!! I am comfortable now.... but I am not a multi-millionaire.... probably worth 1 million + at best.... however my money is in a family trust and property (what is property really worth?).

I am certainly not a deca-millionaire (worth over 5 million $).

It is not about the money - It is about the watches I love.

Comment

Originally posted by Archie42 View Post
                              I am not a MULTI-MILLIONAIRE! I am a very humble person. YES - I made a million dollars by 1996/7 however things went bad shortly after that time.... I kept the AP even though I was technically bankrupt (I never declared bankrupcy - however I did owe $120,000- on my Platinum Amex card at one stage!!!! - PLUS I HAD HEAPS OF OTHER DEBTS!!! - I repaid all my debts)

It is not just making more and more money..... We had the DOT COM bubble burst..... we also had the Bird Flu disaster and then the GFC!!! I am comfortable now.... but I am not a multi-millionaire.... probably worth 1 million + at best.... however my money is in a family trust and property (what is property really worth?).

I am certainly not a deca-millionaire (worth over 5 million $).

It is not about the money - It is about the watches I love.
                              You are such an inspiration. We can all learn quite a lot from you. First, I will work towards my first million which i think at best might happen when I retire and get my CPF. Cheers

Back to watches...there are a few that I like in your collection but what do I know.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X