Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streak seen on black mother of pearl dial

Hi,

Just purchase my first Rolex with a black mother of pearl dial. Only when I went back home, then discovered that there is a streak across the dial. It is like the coating is not evenly spread out for that area. Is this normal for pearl dial? Is there anything I can do? I cannot go back to the shop for an exchange since I had wore it home.

Thanks

maybe you can take a pic and show us? Natural for MOP dial having constructive and destructive interference of different wavelengths of light, resulting in different colors of light being reflected at different viewing angles.
    Don't trust anyone too much, even your own shadow leave you when you are in darkness.

Comment

I didn't know there's 'coating' for MOP dials
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by hop View Post
        Hi,

Just purchase my first Rolex with a black mother of pearl dial. Only when I went back home, then discovered that there is a streak across the dial. It is like the coating is not evenly spread out for that area. Is this normal for pearl dial? Is there anything I can do? I cannot go back to the shop for an exchange since I had wore it home.

Thanks
        That sounds like the charateristics of a MOP dial to me...
        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
          I didn't know there's 'coating' for MOP dials
          Sorry, don't know how to describe it, more like the pearl not evenly spread out?

Comment

Originally posted by MsLucifer View Post
            maybe you can take a pic and show us? Natural for MOP dial having constructive and destructive interference of different wavelengths of light, resulting in different colors of light being reflected at different viewing angles.
            Will take picture when I go home tonight. Didn't wear the watch to work.

Understand about the reflection of lights on the MOP but the streak is too striking and a bit too much contrast to ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
              That sounds like the charateristics of a MOP dial to me...

I also hope that it is

Comment

Originally posted by hop View Post
                I also hope that it is
                Sounds like it is the characteristics of MOP
                Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Hihi,

Here the pciture. See the streak between the 9 and 10 hours? Of course, reflection from the lights make it either darker or lighter but being my first Rolex, it bothers me a lot.

Call my AD, told me I should go to RSC. The watch is less than a week old.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

It's quite hard to see from your pic but yes, you should approach the RSC to check it up ..
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

If busy with work and no time to go down to RSC yet, can always go and see the AD. They should at least have enough knowledge to give you a preliminary verdict. And that should be part of their after sales service.

Comment

Hi All,

I had went down to RSC and they told me that it is a natural effect of black MOP. Unconvinced, I went down last evening to hourglass and the sale personnel told me the same thing. I scrutinized almost all the black MOP they have and guess what, all of them have a obvious streak across the dial and some in worse condition than mine. In fact, mine seems to be the more acceptable one. So, now I feel much better even though the streak still irritate me whenever I try to read the time but not to the point that I get angry like before. I am more relieved now.

Thank you so much for answering my post though.

Comment

Tx for updating us. Glad that it's good news. You'll get use to it eventually.

Cheers!

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X