Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

colletors: go for old or go for broke? (sometimes old AND broke)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colletors: go for old or go for broke? (sometimes old AND broke)

i refer to a recently bumped thread...

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/17786-Role-of-a-Lifetime

and another recent comment in another thread...

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/50-Rol...058#post503058

i had the opportunity this weekend to have a serious discussion with another collector and a european journalist about the directions/strategies that rolex collectors should be heading/adopting...

so here are my grumbles.

over a year ago, i have stopped buying vintage rolex watches and started to concentrate on buying vintage parts instead. i am hoarding as many parts as possible these days, but earlier in my hobby, i started off buying only the parts required to service the watches in my collection.

now i'm saving instead to buy neo-vintage rolex with potential values - what i expect prices to be in future when they go up for auction. in other words, i'm buying smarter yet fewer but more expensive pieces.

examples include 16550-cream, 16710-3186, 16600 and 1661x with rare dials and daytonas with unique dials.

why?

rolex has almost totally, if not totally integrated itself into a full manufacture. nothing is outsourced any more. they also have a new building which will integrate everything in-house (literally) and to increase production volume.

rolex has also been known to manipulate the market by buying back watches and trying to ensure ADs do not discount (without permission). they do so for their bottom line and image.

rolex has reduced its network of rolex authorized dealers and tighten policies at rolex service centres (try buying a pair of flush fit end links without parts exchange, or servicing a 1680 with worn out serial/model no, or... i can go on but i won't!). watchmakers with rolex parts account have been/are also having their accounts terminated. rolex authorized service centers are being reduced one by one.

until recently, the swiss dollar has been very strong. price increases will be the norm whether the CHF is weak or strong. rolex wants to make more watches and rolex wants to sell more watches.

the logical way is to make more watches that consumer wants to buy, especially by targeting existing rolex watch owners/collectors (black out 39mm explorer and 42mm explorer 2 and ceramic daytona).

this also means the only logical way forward is to make servicing watches costly enough that it would make more sense to buy a new(er) watch than to service an older one.

this translate to guaranteed increasing service costs at RSCs/RASCs in future and a reduction in available parts for vintage watches (no parts = no service).

i no longer see vintage rolex watches as something that will be worth the "high" of finding and buying a "grail" - the cost is moving towards that of other brands which carry more cachet...

(how far apart must the price be for a rolex steel sub vs PP nautilus for you to choose the nautilus over the sub?)

day-date dials i bought 10 years ago from dealers cost only $100-$150. these go for US$350-$550 today from the same dealers.

servicing costs for a day-date used to cost $450-$550. it now costs $1,000.

the prices for sport rolex parts and servicing are equally if not more ridiculous.

for my "modern" collectibles, it is easier to obtain parts and hoard them. i can bring these parts to any good watchmaker and they can service it properly.

for vintage pieces, this is becoming difficult and increasingly expensive.

the collection "worth" of a rolex is also decreasing in my eyes - i will do better using the same amount of money buying PP/AP/VC.

i am not bashing rolex because many other companies are doing the same - increasing their prices but i do not necessarily see the corresponding increase in useful innovation (many of the touted paraXXXXX are due to vertical integration and used for marketing - they makes no difference between the old outsourced parts for 99% of the buyers).

rolex is controlled by an entity registered as a foundation which requires them to pay no tax. they are doing it for profit. buying a rolex is not supporting a charity. what they do by way of charitable acts nobody knows. what they do by way of marketing everybody sees (and covets) and IMO, being the giant marketing machine that they are, rolex would probably reveal more about charitable causes it supports if it does so.

(supporting watch makers' courses is not a charitable cause IMO but again for commercial gain because they need watch makers)

since everybody is now capable of producing water proof watch cases, i no longer see a need (as a collector/hobbyist) to marvel in the drug that is "rolex" or the oyster - there are many other established brands out there which produce a good product at reasonable prices (Girard-Perregaux and JLC comes to mind).

will i be throwing out my rolex collection? no. but i will be cutting down the pieces i have. will i say that rolex makes lousy watches? no. they make good watches but i think they are over-valued. do i still have love for rolex? yes. but it's definitely been reduced because of their restructuring and policies of recent times.

in fact, my current plan is to sell some extra pieces in my collection so that i can buy a WG/PT day-date (36mm 11xxxx) - but that will probably be the last rolex watch i buy.

but if all the above-mentioned policies worsens or comes true, it is very likely that i will swear off rolex entirely - but make no mistake, for every person that does this, there will be more that will become intoxicated by the rolex poison - the rolex marketing machine is 2nd to none! a collector will always have a rolex (or two, or more) pass through their hands.

so will this post be one that will end up with and older and (hopefully) wiser me saying "hey, i started out with rolex, went on to other brands because rolex is awful, but i have now come full circle and ended up with a rolex again because i'm wrong and rolex is still the best" - i strongly doubt so (bearing in mind that hindsight is always 20/20) because i am still keeping most of my rolex collection and because of the above.

...between a $9k (used) rolex maxi-sub or an $9k (used) JLC 300m diver, i recently picked up the JLC. no regrets because the romance i have with rolex is probably over.

the married men out there; you know what i mean! i will continue to think about the good times of the rolex from the past... but the future of my relationship with this brand will be one that is realistic and probably painful.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

wow...very intrigue read !
    thanks for sharing...change my perspective views on Rolex...
    Life is Tough...
    Work Hard...Play Harder

Comment

For the sake of argument from a different perspective, the fact that new rolex's owner continue to increased year after year especially with the emergence of China's rich 2nd gen. Apparently with demand increase and literally zero new supply for vintage rolexes, I can still see a silver lining and that's an understatement perhaps?

Comment

I go for both the old and the new. Both categories are beautifu! Old as collectibles and the new as daily beaters!

Regarding the market for vintages... there is another school of thought saying that the market will be even more vibrant when the chinese market gets over their "bling bling" taste and go after the old. In fact,supply of good vintages is very limited compared to current mass productions.

As for parts, I am now drawn to Tudor vintages as being ETA based, their parts are much easier to find. I do forsee a problem with availability of Rolex parts as the years goes by. Well, cross the bridge when it comes and just enjoy the watch now!

Happy collecting!
        His: AP ROO, Hublot BB, PAM 24/29/183/372, Chopard L.U.C 2000/Mille Miglia, Rolex Milgauss 116400 GV/Sub 16610 LV/1680 "Red Sub"/GMT Master 1675/GMT Master II 16760 "FAT LADY"/Seadweller 16600/DSSD 116660, Tudor 94010 "Snowflake"/94200 "BIG Block"/Heritage Chrono/Black Bay, Omega Seamaster 2254.50/2538.20

Hers: AP ROO & AP Millenary, Cartier Santos, Chopard Happy Sports & Cannes Fest, PAM 49, Rolex Explorer1 214270

Comment

indeed, china is a big market for rolex and it will continue to be so for a long period of time. my observation of chinese buyers in HK (most recently at a show a few months ago) has been that they tend to buy ostentatious and/or precious metal models from rolex, not the "bread and butter" steel models that rolex produces.

the tastes of the chinese however, will mature faster when it comes to developing a taste for "haute horology" (i hate this term), plus the sheer popularity of FOLEX/ROLAX in china may also necessarily equate to the noveau riche neglecting rolex and jumping straight onto the waters of swatch group or even the holy trinity.

this is because the marketing results of differing brands in china mean that an omega (or another brand) may carry as much, if not more prestige, as a rolex. how many mass market consumers would know the difference between a WG sub vs a SS sub?

my impression is that buyers (including those in china) will jump at a good deal (new or pre-owned). will rolex continue to offer "good deals" with the direction they're taking?
          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I have hold my vintage Rolex constant and stocked up on some glass. Not to hold as commodity but to keep enough for my collection for the next 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
              indeed, china is a big market for rolex and it will continue to be so for a long period of time. my observation of chinese buyers in HK (most recently at a show a few months ago) has been that they tend to buy ostentatious and/or precious metal models from rolex, not the "bread and butter" steel models that rolex produces.

the tastes of the chinese however, will mature faster when it comes to developing a taste for "haute horology" (i hate this term), plus the sheer popularity of FOLEX/ROLAX in china may also necessarily equate to the noveau riche neglecting rolex and jumping straight onto the waters of swatch group or even the holy trinity.

this is because the marketing results of differing brands in china mean that an omega (or another brand) may carry as much, if not more prestige, as a rolex. how many mass market consumers would know the difference between a WG sub vs a SS sub?

my impression is that buyers (including those in china) will jump at a good deal (new or pre-owned). will rolex continue to offer "good deals" with the direction they're taking?
              Hi Bro Taxico, I fully agree with your views.

What Rolex seems to be doing is similar to PP. buying back watches and manipulating the resale prices, raising prices, controlling the AD and discounts. Basically building up the luxury status of the brand so they can sell more watches and at a higher price. Increasing servicing prices make owning the watch more expensive and making ownership more difficult and elite. You must be able to afford it and maintain it. But having said that ppl who aren't 'watch' ppl won't bother to service their watches till something happens.

And you're right about about Rolex horological advancements, nothing to shout about the oyster case now. And the only two complications currently are the YM2 n daytona. In fact the chinese are now already snapping up the Haute horlogerie watches apart from the high jewellery watches. (you should check out the blancpain x fathoms for a great dive watch)

There is no true romance with these brands, its mainly one sided. These brands don't really care about ppl, just ppl who can afford. And only those who they decide (ie spend enough) might get some love returned. If you spend 100k on rolex watches would your relationship with the rolex company be any different from someone else who spent 10k? (not talking about your SE/AD)

Like I have read in some US forums, of ppl saying they used to buy X number of watches from the brand but now with the multiple price increases and weak USD, they are now saying the prices of watches are ridiculously high and might not buy the brand anymore.(It seems the love has shifted to the East where the money is now.)

Anyway, its the rare old rolexes that will be good for collecting. Contemporary pieces are produced in too high a volume.

The foundation thing is ridiculous European thing... If I am not wrong Real Madrid is also a foundation of sorts and is therefore tax-exempted or something like that.

I fully feel what you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKing View Post
                Anyway, its the rare old rolexes that will be good for collecting. Contemporary pieces are produced in too high a volume.
                there are still interesting "modern" pieces to buy - the comex and panama canal 16610 submariner and the italian police diver 16600 sea dweller form my own rolex dive watch "holy trinity!" these dials probably won't craze. there's no tritium to yellow. easier to obtain provenance and easy to authenticate, too.

prices for those 3 can only go up, up, up!

IMO, the most affordable and versatile for someone starting a neo-vintage collection should look at a 3186-equipped gmt 2 master. an always popular watch with an updated movement.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X