Sea Dweller blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Dweller blues

I was planning on buying my first luxury watch, on a limited budget of under U.S. $5500, and impulsively I decided it would either be the Sea Dweller 4000 or the GMTIIc; I chose the Sea Dweller as it looked better on my small wrists.

I was trying to satisfy conflicting urges by purchasing this watch. I wanted the watch to be readily recognized but subtle enough to impress on others my good taste.

After reading up on the internet (post purchase) I've come to the conclusion that the Sea Dweller is a bit of a Submariner clone and mistaken as such. It also has an outdated aluminium bezel and is too common to become a true classic and appreciate in value in the near future! Have I made a horrible mistake by buying the Sea Dweller?

Could a better watch have been bought to satisfy my shallow nature as mentioned in the second para?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by john_d; 23-10-08, 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling

u hv bought one of the best Rolex sport series watch, it's a discon model and classic. One will NEVER go wrong with Rolex watches! Congrats and just wear it in good health!
    There is a very fine line between this "hobby" and "mental illness."

Look on the wife's face when VISA bill arrived, Priceless!!!!

Comment

hi john, welcome to the sd club. u have just bought the best rolex sports model...and i am not saying that just because i own one.

once u hv started on a rollie, u r hooked. u can nvr hv too many rollies. trust me on that
      Remnants of my irresponsibility:
      "Foreign affections"
      1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
      2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
      3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
      4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
      What's NEXT?

Comment

Hi John

I think it is definitely not a mistake - if it is, then it must be a blessing in disguise.

Please don't compare with a Sub; the SD and Sub are meant for different types of people.

In another post elsewhere, I listed the "disadvantages" of the SD, well, it is precisely of these special features that I bought the SD - exclusive features unique only to the true "King of the Seas". This title, before the DSSD came about, only belongs to the SD.

Outdated aluminium bezel? my friend, if you really dive or go into sports, simplicity is the best. As for being "common", let the facts speak for themselves: compared to the ubiquitious Subs, GMTs, Expys, and the production volume of the SD, you should know, only limited number of Rolex lovers have SDs.

I am not saying this to you because I owned an SD too, but coming from someone who just loved the uniqueness, exclusiveness, and the subtle coolness of the SD.

Other Info on Sea-Dweller 16600:

- Watch is Ranked No. 1 in the Top Favorite Watches survey conducted by The Watch Quote
        http://www.thewatchquote.com/Top-100-No_4575.htm, the discontinued Sea Dweller model emerged as numuro uno after it beat intense competition from the rest of the other superb watches by a wide margin. It is still reigning at No. 1 to-date.

- Watch reviews about this exclusive watch, the "King of the Seas", can be found here:
        http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/seadwellerreview.html
        http://www.watchreport.com/2008/05/review-of-the-r.html
        http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/articles/3.html (this is Sea Dweller v.s. Planet Ocean)
        http://bruno.cracco.free.fr/montres/...s/plongee.html

Comment

No mistake

Own and wear it with pride! Cheers!!
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

A mistake buying the SD? Never.

Comment

I may consider getting the tt blue sub after the ceramic bezel update; on the other hand it would look better on an older gentleman.

I guess it's difficult to find that balance between looking tasteful and subtle but filthy rich at the same time, esp. on an moderate budget.

Maybe a ss DD with a cool blue dial and leather straps? If that's possible at all.

As for the females of our species, they could hardly care about our horological woes as long as we're wearing a YG FOLEX.

In light of the above, I wish I was more superficial; then I'd get a few blingy FOLEXs and be done with it.

Comment

if you go wrong with sea dweller then you will go worse with other rolex

Comment

Congrats and enjoy your SD

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

a seadweller is not a clone of the submariner
                    a seadweller holds its own in design and look as subtle as the differences to other models
                    a seadweller is a watch you buy that stands out to people who know an attracts others who don't
                    a seadweller remains so stylishly simple and chic that it blends in with any attire you choose to wear
                    a seadwller is rugged enough to dive beyond a submariner
                    a seadweller is more than all that
                    because a seadweller is after all a rolex
                    and a rolex is forever
                    SRC is bad dealer !

Comment

Maybe a SS DJ would have been a better bet?

Comment

Originally posted by john_d View Post
                        I would say...buy both hehee

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

It seems that you are really down and no matter what we say about the SD, I get the feeling that you still have regrets buying it. You should have done this "soul searching" before buying the watch.

As for the females of our species, they could hardly care about our horological woes as long as we're wearing a YG FOLEX.
                          BTW, the above is an unfair statement to make about the ladies. You cannot paint a whole group with a single brush. For one, my GF is not a YG fan and would prefer to see me in SS or WG watches.
                          Last edited by ejaan; 25-10-08, 12:29 AM.

Comment

The SD deserves its place in the history of watch making. It is by far the best Rolex sports model IMHO.

Comment

Some people do like the DJ but I personally prefer the SD

between the two.

Enjoy....the watch is tough and practical.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X