value of aluminium bezeled Rolexes after SS ceramic Sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• value of aluminium bezeled Rolexes after SS ceramic Sub

I have a vague feeling that the resale value of aluminium bezeled Rolex watches with the exception of special editions will decline, once Rolex introduces the ceramic bezel across it's entire line.

I think it'll be very hard for counterfeiters to come up with ceramic bezels of the same quality as the originals. This would further enhace the resale value of the new watches with the ceramic bezel and indirectly lead to a decline in the value of aluminium bezeled watches.

This move to the ceramic bezel would also differentiate the Rolex sub from the Omega Seamasters to the extent that comparisions between the two would be harder to make.

Unless Omega and similar watchmakers have anything up their sleeves, Rolex will be selling many many SS ceramic Subs to the detriment of Omega and resale value of the older aluminium bezeled Subs.

However, since I've recently bought the SD4000 I hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by john_d; 25-10-08, 08:02 PM. Reason: clarity

Let's use the Rolex GMT as a case in point.

The latest GMT II model comes with a ceramic bezel insert but this did not lead to the demise in the demand for earlier version of the GMT which comes with the aluminum bezel insert. In fact the vintage GMTs are fetching premium prices.

BTW, I've seen a replica of the latest GMT II model and I'd say it's ceramic bezel insert is really well made. These replica makers are a resourceful bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by ejaan View Post
      Let's use the Rolex GMT as a case in point.

The latest GMT II model comes with a ceramic bezel insert but this did not lead to the demise in the demand for earlier version of the GMT which comes with the aluminum bezel insert. In fact the vintage GMTs are fetching premium prices.

BTW, I've seen a replica of the latest GMT II model and I'd say it's ceramic bezel insert is really well made. These replica makers are a resourceful bunch.
      The older GMT II models that are holding their value are the twin coloured bezels, aren't they? Do you think they'd they will hold their value after the introduction of twin coloured ceramic bezels?

Also, has someone posted pics and done any sort of comparision of the Folexes with the fake ceramic bezels?

Thanks.

Comment

nope. all gmt, be it single colour ot twin colour bezel hold the value pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by john_d View Post
          I have a vague feeling that the resale value of aluminium bezeled Rolex watches with the exception of special editions will decline, once Rolex introduces the ceramic bezel across it's entire line.

I think it'll be very hard for counterfeiters to come up with ceramic bezels of the same quality as the originals. This would further enhace the resale value of the new watches with the ceramic bezel and indirectly lead to a decline in the value of aluminium bezeled watches.

This move to the ceramic bezel would also differentiate the Rolex sub from the Omega Seamasters to the extent that comparisions between the two would be harder to make.

Unless Omega and similar watchmakers have anything up their sleeves, Rolex will be selling many many SS ceramic Subs to the detriment of Omega and resale value of the older aluminium bezeled Subs.

However, since I've recently bought the SD4000 I hope I'm wrong.
          Well that's wat you think... we must see what the market thinks

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

IMO, the problem is with the price. So far all ceramic model are priced much higher than their aluminium counterparts. Hence, making those aluminium models much worthwhile to own. Unless of course one day the ceramic model are priced very near to those aluminium ones. But personally I don't think that day will ever arrive. Which is why I'm very surprise when Rolex priced their replacement model so differently.

The second issue is with durability, I'm not too sure how the ceramic will take the daily beating. I mean, does it cracks ? The worst you can get from aluminium is scratches and if you don't mind, it can last a lifetime. Most of these watches are tool watch where poeple do wear or use it everyday for their work.

Comment

I think aluminium bezel Rolex will be sought after in future. It will be a history in Rolex just like the sought after Acrylic crystal.
              Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
              Rolex LV submariner
              Rolex TT black submariner
              Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
              Rolex Non date submariner
              Rolex Explorer2
              More...

Comment

Supply and demand, this is much depand on the market, if the Japanese like that particular model, then it will sell like hot cake.

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                SS GMT II coke, SS GMT IIC, TT GMT IIC,
                SS Sub Date, TT Sub Date Black,
                SS SD,
                SS YM,
                SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Its the discontinuation fad.Once that model/bezel is no longer in production, the price goes up.

Comment

Collecting is an obsession. It would be difficult to rationalise it.

Comment

Originally posted by ejaan View Post
                      Collecting is an obsession. It would be difficult to rationalise it.
                      Well said .
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

could anybody hazard a guess on the price of the ceramic ss sub if it's launced at Basel next year? Around that of the GMT ceramic?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X