Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMT Master II vs Submariner vs Milgauss

This is going to be my first rolex.
    I studied the website for the ranges.... Initially I fell in love with the new datejustII. It was a classic.... But I'm only 32, is it too classic for me? I did not want to make a mistake.... Considering it's a huge sum of money (for me) and i don't want to spoilt ,y experience.

Dont ask me why, but I did not go to any shops to view. It's all done on the net. Maybe I'm not used to buying expensive watches... The only daily watches I wear are nautical, just $500, cerutti, I think $800 and my all time favorite shock, around $250....

I love the Milgauss. I felt it oozes style, it appealed to me and I swore I will get that.... But you know what? Damn! How come no date? Ya ya.... I can hear some one saying.... Look at your handphone lor... That's true... But.... I want a date, I need to see it on the watch even if I don't use it (it's just me). So it's the sub vs gmt.

I think they are pretty close in price. And they look pretty darn the same!
    So what the heck to buy?
    Yes, I'm a traveller.... I do it for work... I travel to 7 countries, every month I depart from Singapore 3 times.... And I don't dive... The best I do is snokle ( and I suck at it). By now it seems like the gmt is winning hands down...

But honestly, I travel in Asia.... Time difference is not that great and in the past 5 years on this job.... I'm always tuning my watch, the gmt won't save me a huge load of difference! I don't need 3 time zone! But I need to choose one rolex to buy!

So I ask my wife.... I should have done so much earlier.... She say gmt, since I don't dive (hahaha) and so, after considering for 6weeks, I finally called up the ADs, basically I called hourglass.... Because I felt they are good and I read some good reviews on them. The quoted price is all $10'500 for the gmt steel. No bloody discount! Why!

And then I called up one and he said he had a piece on hold for a customer.. He will call me back.... Which he did!

Sales : sir, my customer did not buy, do u wanna come and see?
    Me: so what did he buy in the end?
    Sales: didn't buy anything. Would you be interested in coming down? We close at 7.30.
    Me: I'm more interested buying. How's your sakes today? R u interested in selling a gmt today?
    Sales : hahaha, come down and see sir, we can discuss. (bingo!)
    Me: I don't need to see ( I really have never seen or gone into any shop to see any rolex!) just tell me your best price.
    Sales: x,xxx, go buy 4d. (notice the numbers became 4 instead of 5!)
    me: keep for me, I come down before you close.

And so I went down, the shop had so many freaking rolexs..... Damn if I went to see and see and see, I would never had been able to choose... But the steel gmt, the bzel, is so chio! I tried it on, swee! I ask for the milguass, tried it on, also chio, but gmt lagi chio. I must have been stupid, but I confirmed the purchase after trying those 2 pieces in 5 or less mins....

Damn! So much money and I decided so quicky! Omg I feel an addiction coming.
    So I paid, took the watch and went home. I did not open it up nor wear it...

This morning I woke up, took it out to admire, I realized that there is a speck of glitter IN the glass. Tamade..... I went down and show them, hahaha I should have checked more, 5 mins is not enough to check! I was too careless... But so in less then 12 hours and with me not even wearing the watch, it's back in rolex house, waiting for the technician to clean it up for me...

What an experience.

GMT Master II. My Choice.

For those whom are thinking what model to buy, I suggest, shortlist 2 to 3, bring your credit card, go down and try.... U will be able to decide immediately.... The watch literally smiles at you! Sign and you will be a happy man!

Haha sorry for the crappy long story.

Congratulations and what an experience you had. I bought my first Rolex when I accompanied a friend looking for Omega but eventually we left the shop each with a Rolex. But back in those days, we do not have luxury of checking the websites to help us decide. And no, it wasn't a sports model to begin with. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by PeeCeeBee View Post
      Congratulations and what an experience you had. I bought my first Rolex when I accompanied a friend looking for Omega but eventually we left the shop each with a Rolex. But back in those days, we do not have luxury of checking the websites to help us decide. And no, it wasn't a sports model to begin with. Haha.
      Since you are a frequent traveller, why not get the GMT 2C to make use of its GMT function while overseas.
      Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Wow! What a story

A good experience you've shared with us and I enjoyed the read. Let's hope it turns out well for you

Have a great week
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Thank for sharing..
          Dont Have to spend Sleepless Night over it !
          Enjoy your 1st Rolex...it is a very Wise decision. :-)
          Life is Tough...
          Work Hard...Play Harder

Comment

Thanks for sharing the interesting experience! So the morale of the story is: ask your wife if you don't know which watch to buy?

A fellow forum member is comtemplating whether to buy GMT2C or SubC. Hope he sees this
            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Such a drama though I could understand how you felt. I did go through similar situations. I think GMT is a good choice as the GMT hand is very handy when it comes to traveling. Moreover the current ceramic bezel is beautiful and scratch resistant though brittle. But I believe your collection will not stop. Very soon, you will get the Submariner and Milgauss which you passed. Trust me as I was like you.

Anyway thanks for sharing your story!

Comment

Thats was good for you to share your exprience with us bro, it helps for those who are thinking of getting one real soon as well. Enjoy the watch bro. I think you will start ur collection real soon bro.
                Cheers!

Comment

Haha. Thanks Guys.

No regrets (Although watch is still in Rolex Centre) and i think it's true that im addicted already.
                  Just that is' so expensive, i think i can only afford to buy once in a very long time.

Those who are on the Submarine and GMT... well i dont know what to tell you dudes...
                  you need to wear it. you need to love it and I assure you.

it's a very simple choice! one watch will smile at you (as it did to me) and voila! the choice is obvious.

Honestly i was comtemplating to buy a 2nd hand.
                  Hey i know some of us do that and save a good sum of money. but as i said. it's my first and i dont even know how to tell if it's real.
                  So i tore my wallet apart and went for a brand new. i keep telling myself i will feel like a idiot if i paid huge amonut and get a fake!

Anyway....
                  so GMT, or the so call series of sports series watch... they all say no discount.
                  why did i get discount? i only got 5% though.

is it too little?

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story.

Next for you will be SubC or Milguass

Comment

Originally posted by gohaj View Post
                      Thanks for sharing your story.

Next for you will be SubC or Milguass
                      must be the milgauss! haha.

Comment

Nice story! I think u have made the right choice on GMT IIc!!!

Comment

Awesome story. Glad your final D is GMT IIc. Yup ! U will nvr regret bro !
                          Enjoy yr precious & wear in good health yeah !
                          New ROLEXY on the Blog

Wishlist
                          1) Yach-Master (16622)
                          2) Explorer II - Black/White (216570)
                          3) Submariner TTc (116613LB)

Madness
                          The ITCH is getting worse & incurable

Repentance
                          I let go my beloved U-Series Sub (16610) for the newcomers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexushowroom View Post
                            Awesome story. Glad your final D is GMT IIc. Yup ! U will nvr regret bro !
                            Enjoy yr precious & wear in good health yeah !
                            Sure hope this watch brings me good luck and health! Wahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                              Thanks for sharing the interesting experience! So the morale of the story is: ask your wife if you don't know which watch to buy?

A fellow forum member is comtemplating whether to buy GMT2C or SubC. Hope he sees this

Ya trust the wife when decisions are too tough! Hahah

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X