Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between chronometer, quartz, automatic etc

Hi all masters,

I always see that fellow forumers write about which watch is auto, chrono n quartz. Actually i still dun understand the difference betweeen them all despite searching online.

Can someone pls help to explain using local language n examples instead of special terms? Haha

Is there anymore movement other than chrono, quartz, automatic?

R we able to rank them or each has its pros n cons?

Thx man

Quartz -use battery
    Automatic-no need battery
    Chronometer - tested and certified by cosc (pls correct me if Im wrong)
    Last edited by MsLucifer; 31-03-12, 08:14 PM.
    Don't trust anyone too much, even your own shadow leave you when you are in darkness.

Comment

Let me try to explain in simpler terms.

Generally, there are three basic watch movements (a small "engine" inside a watch that makes the time) - Manual (using handwinding), Automatic (using power reserve mechanism) and Quartz (using a battery). A manual movement is more common in watches of the old days where one needs to wind up the watch in order to use it. The time will stop once the power reserve ends. The automatic movement works differently in that as long as one has wound up the watch and continues using it, there'll be some kind of storage of the power reserve in it and the watch continues to work. Of course, once it is left unused, the time will still stop when the power reserve ends. So far, so good?

Ok, I think quartz should be self-explanatory to you. It works like any other equipment/device that is battery-powered.

Now, your reference of "chrono" seems to point to a chronograph rather than "chronometer"? Chronograph is an added feature/function in a watch that gives you stop-watch function like what you can find in a digital watch.

Chronometer is totally a different meaning. It refers to a watch movement that has been tested by a Swiss company that certifies a good and accurate movement. Like an item that has to undergo some kind of Quality Control (QC) check of sort. Therefore, a certified "chronometer" movement should be reasonably accurate and demands a higher sale price than a non-certified movement. And the company that does this is known as C.O.S.C. - the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres aka the Official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute. It is therefore an institution responsible for certifying the accuracy and precision of wristwatches in Switzerland.

As for 'ranking' them, normally, the least expensive should be with a Quartz followed by Manual and lastly Automatic.

Do correct me if I am inaccurate in any way.

Tx.
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Thx lucifer n ocean.

Now i understood liao. Hehe

Comment

very patient, simple, & informative explainination by oceanklassik!
          I'm in bad company........

Comment

Thanks for the info!!!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X