Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone advise how to claim back full 21% tax if i buy Rolex in Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone advise how to claim back full 21% tax if i buy Rolex in Europe?

Can anyone advise how to claim back full 21% tax if i buy Rolex in Europe?

a. I was told i can only claim back maximum 15% at airport.

b. While another shop told me she can refund me the 21% after i leave the country by courier to her the signed VAT Refund slip from airport. She will refund via credit card. I don't feel secure with this arrangment.

c. Another shop who sells Panerai told me she will less out 21% at time of purchase but i must courier her the signed VAT Refund slip from airport. She will only need a copy of my credit card in case i do not mail her the VAT Refund slip.

So which is the correct method?

Out of curiosity, what is the maximum discount can i get from these shops? I was given 10% only.

Safest is claim at airport but long queue about 1hr
    Or can buy direct from dutyfree shops which gives direct prices less VAT, but may not have models you want

Comment

1st...You need to purchase at those shops authorised for VAT Refund.

2nd...During purchase, a VAT Refund form will be filled up by the store sales assistant and you need to pass your passport to them for them to help you to fill up and they will pass you back the VAT refund form together with their company stamp chop on the form.

3rd...Don't open up your purchases or use it as you may need to proof your purchases at the custom as and when is required and you open up and IF start wearing your watch, YOU MAY NOT GET BACK YOUR VAT REFUND. Meaning, if you buy LV bag, the bag must be in the LV carrier. If you have 10 bags, then you need to have it in 10 LV carrier...its abit stupid, but that's what was told to me.

4th.. When you at the airport, go find the VAT Refund counter, join the queue...if you pay by cash, you will get back VAT - Admin Charge = Nett amount.

If you pay back credit card...you will still get back VAT-Admin Charge but after 4-8 weeks for them to charge back into your credit card. You will not receive any cash upfront due to credit card transaction.

hope its detail enough for you.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      A Crown for Every Achievement
      Life is Nothing Without Style

Comment

What Rolex01 described are correct, except for (3). I recalled I was told to wear the watch instead. First is for security, it's safer to wear it than to keep inside luggage or bag. Of course, don't show off your wrist to avoid unnecessary attentions. Secondly, it's to show to custom officers if needed. I am not sure why now it seems to change to what Rolex01 had explained. Perhaps mine was old practice. I did that in 2007. Lastly, I heard the custom in Europe are playing "trick". They purposely slow the process of claiming which results in super long queue. And most people need to rush for plane, so "give up" the tax refund. IMO, the refund is most likely a neat sum, so should not give up. Perhaps, try claim via credit-card, by dropping into the box if I am not wrong. But as what Rolex01 had explained, it will be a super long wait. I recall receiving my refunds almost 2 months later. And worse still, subject to banks' lousy exchange rate. But at least I got my claims back. Enjoy your vacation!

Meanwhile, if I am not wrong, Switzerland practised given direct VAT refunds on the purchase, but not other Europe countries. Meaning to say, the tax rebate is already factored into the final prize. It's good, but the pricing in Swiss is not cheap, discounts also so-so, plus high Swiss exchange rate.

Discounts vary. All based on discretion, no standard. You may need to check a few shops. But the problem is, sometimes, if you miss a shop, the next shop may be in another town. And if you find another shop, stock may not be available. And by then you may not return to the previous shop as it's miles away. IMO, I feel as long as you find the stock you like and it's cheaper than local price (at least 7% cheaper), you can consider it.

Originally posted by Rolex01 View Post
        1st...You need to purchase at those shops authorised for VAT Refund.

2nd...During purchase, a VAT Refund form will be filled up by the store sales assistant and you need to pass your passport to them for them to help you to fill up and they will pass you back the VAT refund form together with their company stamp chop on the form.

3rd...Don't open up your purchases or use it as you may need to proof your purchases at the custom as and when is required and you open up and IF start wearing your watch, YOU MAY NOT GET BACK YOUR VAT REFUND. Meaning, if you buy LV bag, the bag must be in the LV carrier. If you have 10 bags, then you need to have it in 10 LV carrier...its abit stupid, but that's what was told to me.

4th.. When you at the airport, go find the VAT Refund counter, join the queue...if you pay by cash, you will get back VAT - Admin Charge = Nett amount.

If you pay back credit card...you will still get back VAT-Admin Charge but after 4-8 weeks for them to charge back into your credit card. You will not receive any cash upfront due to credit card transaction.

hope its detail enough for you.

Comment

Thanks buddy.

I understand there is an admin charge at the airport. The max i can claim back is 15% instead of full 21%. I wish to claim back full 21%. Do you think its possible?

Secondly, if i buy from a store in Belgium and my last exit point is from London Heathrow airport, will there be any problems getting my tax refunded? I am wondering if there is a regulation that i can only claim back tax from Belgium since i am buying from Belgium.

I was offered 10% discount from list price upon purchase. Is this discount all over Europe or it could be more or less? (Rolex Europe increased their prices last week).

Lastly, has anyone gotten their tax refund as mentioned in point 2 in my first posting?

Comment

the TS question is on how to or whether can get full vat refund. As far as i am aware, it will not be a 100% for the main bulk of europe (UK, France, Italy, Germany etc) i cant say for the less frequent part of europe. there will be an admin fee for processing the refund. Just a matter of a higher admin fee via (cash refund) or lower via (credit card refund).
            Don't trust anyone too much, even your own shadow leave you when you are in darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
              What Rolex01 described are correct, except for (3). I recalled I was told to wear the watch instead. First is for security, it's safer to wear it than to keep inside luggage or bag. Of course, don't show off your wrist to avoid unnecessary attentions. Secondly, it's to show to custom officers if needed. I am not sure why now it seems to change to what Rolex01 had explained. Perhaps mine was old practice. I did that in 2007. Lastly, I heard the custom in Europe are playing "trick". They purposely slow the process of claiming which results in super long queue. And most people need to rush for plane, so "give up" the tax refund. IMO, the refund is most likely a neat sum, so should not give up. Perhaps, try claim via credit-card, by dropping into the box if I am not wrong. But as what Rolex01 had explained, it will be a super long wait. I recall receiving my refunds almost 2 months later. And worse still, subject to banks' lousy exchange rate. But at least I got my claims back. Enjoy your vacation!

Meanwhile, if I am not wrong, Switzerland practised given direct VAT refunds on the purchase, but not other Europe countries. Meaning to say, the tax rebate is already factored into the final prize. It's good, but the pricing in Swiss is not cheap, discounts also so-so, plus high Swiss exchange rate.

Discounts vary. All based on discretion, no standard. You may need to check a few shops. But the problem is, sometimes, if you miss a shop, the next shop may be in another town. And if you find another shop, stock may not be available. And by then you may not return to the previous shop as it's miles away. IMO, I feel as long as you find the stock you like and it's cheaper than local price (at least 7% cheaper), you can consider it.
              I went central europe in late 2006, the main reason to carry those carrier instead of wearing is to really "proof" to custom officers that those are genuinely purchased from the shop instead of "ghost" purchase just to claim back VAT refund. I do agree that wearing it is definitely safer.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by e90koh View Post

I understand there is an admin charge at the airport. The max i can claim back is 15% instead of full 21%. I wish to claim back full 21%. Do you think its possible?
                It is impossible to claim back the full 21%. Even in SG, the gst refund is 7%-admin--nett amount is arount 5%+

As long as you want to claim back your VAT, you MUST pay admin fees unless you do not want to claim.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I juz went Europe last yr and got my vat refund. Basically, vat can only be done at the final destination when u leave the Europe. And be at airport early for the refund. I was quite lucky that the queue was not that long. There are a few companies handling the refund. I only see Global blue at the airports I was at. They refund me some cash, some via credit card although my purchases were made using card n cash. So it depends on the person. If it another company doing the refund, they will
                  Not process it but ask u deposit at mailbox to be sent to that company. That will take a long time, for me, it was > 6mths and with a string of emails.
                  Current babies:
                  Sub 16610LN D series
                  PAM 312 M series
                  IWC 500112 Laureus Limited Edition

Wish list:
                  116613LB?
                  a good White dial watch

Comment

Can anyone advise if this is secure and possible to be done?

b. While another shop told me she can refund me the 21% after i leave the country... all i need to do is to courier to her the signed VAT Refund slip from airport. She will refund via credit card. I don't feel secure with this arrangment because i don't know if they will really refund it to me once i am out of the shop/airport. Or maybe i am being paranoid? hahah.

A local friend told me he would help to chase for the full 21% refund so long as i get the VAT form signed and courier back to the shop. My friend will personally ensure the shop expedite the refund. A bit of a trouble for him i guess.

Next.... is 10% the max that i can obtain from EU rolex shops?

Anyone know if the collection at Amsterdam airport is good/well stocked and provide 10% discount? Or i am better off buying in Belgium or any other shops that have the stock that i want and discount that they already dangle.

Comment

E90,
                      I've travelled extensively all throughout Europe for many years.When you buy a watch from any AD in Europe. the AD will usually use a company like Global blue or Premier tax refund as their agency to process your VAT refund. Check this site out for a idea of what you will actually receive:
                      http://www.global-blue.com/

This video is also pretty good.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLex_7_B6PQ

Although a country may have a VAT refund around the 20 or more % mark , you will only receive around 5 % less due to the agency taking their commission. For regular travellers who travel into and out of Europe, there is another way which can be extremely complicated and whereby you can claim the full refund.From memory a Greek AD did explain to me on my recent trip in 2011 and it involved something that the Panerai dealer described and it did involve lots of filling in of forms and also a very long application process. If some steps are skipped or if the paperwork goes missing the VAT is unable to be processed.
                      Its best to use a VAT refund agency. Also in some countries and cities the agency that will actually give you the cash in note form in the city.It usually in the larger cities. You will need to check with the global refund site for these facilities. This is probably the best way to go where you actually obtain the cash there and then and only at the airport , you obtain the customs export certification stamp.

Comment

E 90, You mentioned that you're going to be in Belgium. It might be worthwhile to head off to Paris( its an easy daytrip via the TGV) as the selections and possible discounts are much better . There are lots of AD's over there , dealers like Wempe , Dubail in Place Vendome has one of the most impressive displays boutiques in Europe , Jean Mick are all kind of having pretty ordinary sales figures due to the financial crisis and are more likely to give a bit of a discount.

Comment

A pity i wont have time to go anywhere else bro. From the look of it, i have to rush and fly out of Amsterdam.

Out of curiosity, tax rate for each country is different. Global Blue will refund based on which tax rate? Is it based on point of exit?

Do you know if Amsterdam has any good collections of Rolex?

Comment

E90 ,
                            The Global blue net refund will be based on the country of purchase. On the forms you will actually be given the ammount that you're entitled to. It will be printed on the receipt. From memory in the Netherlands there are a few jewellers that stock Rolex but the selection is average but sometimes in Schipol if you're lucky there will be lots of the latest models .The best countries overall to buy would be in Germany, France, Italy due to the high net VAT refund, availability of models with the latest series and also AD's to choose from. Switzerland has lots of AD's with all the latest models but their discounts are very limited to none at all and their net VAT is only around the 8 % mark.

Comment

My experience in Milan, Italy when i was there 2 months ago is like this:
                              The shop you buy your watch or whatever will take your passport and fill up your particulars in the VAT tax refund form. The shop will have a copy of the amount of VAT refund you will be entitled to. I guess the more you buy the higher the refund as i did have a glance at it, the VAT refund in Italy is based on the total amount you buy in one receipt. The refund value would have also covers the admin charges imposed by the VAT refund company. Minimum amount you hv to spend is at least Euros 150 before you are entitled for VAT refund. A copy of this form will be then be given back to you to claim your refund at Milan airport before you fly out.

At Milan airport, you are suppose to head to the Customs section first for them to check your merchandise you purchased and get the refund form stamped by Customs first. After this is done, you then head to the VAT refund booth like Global blue or whatever to get your refund.
                              If you merchandise is paid in cash, they will refund cash to you. If paid with credit card, you will need to provide your card to them to swipe into the card network. Refund by card will take about 4 to 5 working days as stated. They will provide you with a receipt as proof on the refund, whether by cash or card. Then you can put your merchandise into your luggage and check in at the airline counter.

Simple as that... Hopes it helps those going to Milan, Italy. Was somehow lost at first when at the Milan airport on the refund procedures.

A word of caution, as usual refund by card, you tend to lose a bit more on the refund as the credit card company will tend to charge a higher Euro - Sin xchange rate. I got charge abt 0.04cents more.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X