Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega vs Rolex

Lifted from today's TODAY newspaper:

BASEL (Switzerland) - When it came to choosing a new watch, Mr Ma Jun had no hesitation in selecting a US$6,800 (S$9,493) Omega Constellation over a ROLEX.

"Omega's designs are newer and trendier," said the 30-year-old businessman from Hangzhou, near Shanghai. He bought the watch a month ago after seeing advertisements featuring American swimmer Michael Phelps and Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi.

"ROLEX is old and traditional," he said.

That perception, together with a boom in Asian sales, helped Swatch Group's Omega snatch market share from ROLEX in the US$35 billion Swiss watch industry last year, analysts say. ROLEX, whose cheapest model is almost 60 per cent more expensive than Omega's, has also been hit harder by the United States recession.

Swiss watch exports fell 22 per cent last year, the biggest drop since the Great Depression, as retailers cancelled orders amid the global crisis. But both Swatch Group and Cie Financiere Richemont, the owner of Cartier, have signalled their shipments outperformed the market, leading Mr Rey Wium, an analyst at Nedbank, to speculate ROLEX's shipments dropped more than the market did.

"If these two outperformed, clearly somebody else suffered much more, and we all know it was probably ROLEX," said Mr Wium. "These things are notoriously difficult to gauge, but ROLEX definitely lost out in terms of sales to retailers."

Both ROLEX and Omega are showcasing their latest models at Baselworld, the world's biggest luxury watch trade fair, now taking place in the Swiss city.

Omega is one of 18 brands belonging to Swatch Group, which also produces US$50 plastic Swatches and double-tourbillion Breguet timepieces for mjore than US$700,000. Bank Vontobel analyst Rene Weber estimates Omega's 2008 sales at about 1.48 billion Swiss francs (S$1.96 billion), compared with ROLEX's 4.5 billion francs and Cartier's 1.63 billion francs.

Omega, whose entry-level timepieces cost about US$2,500, gets 35 per cent of sales from greater China, estimates Mr Jon Cox, an analyst at Kepler Capital Markets. ROLEX, whose watches start from about US$4,100, gets about 5 per cent of sales from the region, he estimates.

China, including Hong Kong, .....

(go read )
    The Crown Of Achievement

Rolex is the world's most copied watch. It still holds a very important position in people's heart. The brand name cannot be replaced no matter how close the competition may be.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Comment

I will still buy rolex over omega...
      Current:
      No More Liao...

Comment

Originally posted by newbie09 View Post
        I will still buy rolex over omega...
        That's why we are here.
        1 3 5
        ├┼┼╕
        2 4 6 R

Comment

The writer posted Tudor pics instead of Rolex in the article. Anyway, I'll get both
          相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_Watches View Post
            The writer posted Tudor pics instead of Rolex in the article. Anyway, I'll get both
            Aiming for a Tudor now too..
            Current:
            No More Liao...

Comment

Tudor's designs have improved alot. Hope that Rolex can do allocate more funds to market the brand.
              相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_Watches View Post
                then the writer is only half correct as Tudor is also part of Rolex's establishments.

But does give me some doubt abt the credibility of his article of people (in this case, only 1 example) choosing Omega vs Rolex.
                I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                  But does give me some doubt abt the credibility of his article....
                  the problem with this op-ed is... it's an op-ed!

rolex is not a publicly traded company, and there is no/insufficient data available publicly to make any REAL conclusion that rolex is fairing as badly as claimed in the article.

using old COSC statistics, word of mouth (at best, "analysts") and off-street interviews... is NOT ENOUGH!!!

neither was there enough empirical data that omega has gained as much market share over rolex as claimed...
                  “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

But no matter how it will be in the future, I still feel that no collection will be complete without a Crown in my box.
                    相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

I like both, have both, and will continue to buy more of both

Have been drooling over this for some time, but biding my time for a good used piece to surface

Solar Impulse GMT

sms/whatsapp to 9OO3-8999

Comment

then the writer is only half correct as Tudor is also part of Rolex's establishments.

But does give me some doubt abt the credibility of his article of people (in this case, only 1 example) choosing Omega vs Rolex.
                        100% agree with you!
                        1 3 5
                        ├┼┼╕
                        2 4 6 R

Comment

Buy whatever you like.
                          Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

I only like Rolex & Tudor....

Comment

hmmmm the writer is correct... although Tudor is a subsidiary of Rolex, the market share it garnered is not and should not be consider as part of Rolex as the market targeted by the two are considered to be separate ones. Both brands are created and marketed for different targets.

It's the same for Toyota and Lexus... same company, but different targets so treated as separate entities...

If not the write add in Swatch and Omega, Rolex and Tudor is gonna lose big time then

Anyway just sharing what I learnt in marketing and strategic management classes. =) No flaming intended. Pure sharing! Do comment if I am wrong too!

PS : I will still buy a Rolex though! the brand name, tradition and prestige is something that Omega will take a long long time to catch up...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X