Rolex CEO Patrick Heiniger resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex CEO Patrick Heiniger resigns

Dec. 17 (Bloomberg) — Rolex Group, the Swiss watchmaker, said Chief Executive Officer Patrick Heiniger resigned for “personal” reasons after 16 years in the post.

Heiniger will leave Rolex at the end of the year, the Geneva-based company said in a statement late yesterday. Separately, Rolex today denied a L’Agefi report that the company may have lost 1 billion Swiss francs ($900 million) invested with Bernard Madoff, the U.S. money manager charged with fraud.

Heiniger, who replaced his father Andre in 1992, leaves as the financial crisis ends a boom for the watchmaking industry that led to the fastest growth in two decades last year. Sales of the luxury industry will decline 4 percent in 2009, as revenue growth from emerging markets slows, Melanie Flouquet, an analyst at JPMorgan Chase & Co., estimated yesterday.

“Him stepping down at this time does seem slightly odd given that the watch industry is in for a tough time,” said Jon Cox, an analyst who covers watches at Kepler Capital Markets in Zurich.

A drop in timepiece sales may lead to the bigger watchmakers “hoovering up some of the smaller players,” Cox said. “If we get this nuclear winter next year in the watch industry, a lot of watch companies will be in trouble.”

Longines President Walter von Kaenel said last month that newer competitors will be the biggest losers as a result of slowing demand for luxury timepieces. Montres Villemont SA, a Swiss watchmaker with 14 employees, has said it might file for bankruptcy after demand “collapsed” in Asia and eastern Europe.

Madoff Denial

Rolex said in an e-mailed statement today it “formally denies any implication with the Madoff affair.” Madoff has been accused of running a Ponzi scheme. He was arrested Dec. 11 and said clients of his New York-based firm lost $50 billion.

Rolex invented the Oyster, the world’s first waterproof watch, in 1926, and made headlines after Mercedes Gleitze swam the English Channel wearing the timepiece. The company makes more than 170 models of the Oyster now and employs 8,000 people.

In the 1990s, Rolex took over the entire manufacturing process of its watches, avoiding reliance on third-party suppliers. Heiniger was the third executive to lead the company since its founding by Hans Wildorf from Bavaria. The brand is worth $5 billion, according to Interbrand, a consultancy.

Source: Bloomberg

read abt the news in rolex forums. perhaps a storm is arising. it's anybody's guess.
    Remnants of my irresponsibility:
    "Foreign affections"
    1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
    2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
    3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
    4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
    What's NEXT?

Comment

i believe there will be some list prices adjustment next yr..

Comment

Big corps like Rolex, with one or two CEO stepping down will not affect much the operation of the company.

Comment

It is the consistency of having one man at the helm for so long that gives rolex its longevity. If the next CEO is like any other american CEO ... well, you can expect that we will start getting submariners in different dial colours, new limited editions every year ... get the picture? Think OMEGA.

To me, that would be the end.
          I would buy some rolex vintage... but if that were to happen, the brand is finished. I would move on to other things.

Comment

Originally posted by keltzar View Post
            It is the consistency of having one man at the helm for so long that gives rolex its longevity. If the next CEO is like any other american CEO ... well, you can expect that we will start getting submariners in different dial colours, new limited editions every year ...
            God, please no...

Comment

New man on the board? Wah liao! Will Rolex change name? Rollex?

Comment

Originally posted by The One View Post

hi bro, good to see u back

Comment

Thanks bro!

Comment

Originally posted by kenkelvin View Post
                    hi bro, good to see u back
                    Never wish me? I am also back.

Comment

Originally posted by The One View Post
                      Yes, Ano

Comment

Originally posted by Bernardo View Post
                        Never wish me? I am also back.

not i don 1 to wish u, is that u got yourself banned the moment u came back. hw can i still says much? sometimes i wish u can really let it go. y u so petty and narrow minded? anyway u wanna argue back also cannot liao as i guess the moderators really have enough of your nonsense. haha so now u can only see and cant type, boor thing. hey wait, go create benardo 2nd or maybe 3rd lah. after all i guess u do not only have a single acc here haha see u soon pal hehe

Comment

http://blog.horologytalk.com/?p=43

Apparantly Rolex may have lost US$1b in the Madoff scandal that's why CEO replaced by CFO.

Comment

Tx for sharing.
                            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X