Clear All

• Video: How a Watch Works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=508-rmdY4jQ

a 60 yr old video showing how a watch works
    great stuff

another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGcoIue1Bs8

Comment

Thanks for sharing. After watching these videos, I have a hunch to ask the following questions "does anyone feel that paying thousands of dollars for a piece of mechanical watch is too much?"

Anyone being provoked?

Comment

sidetrack from this thread abit...

Quality aside, buying a luxury timepiece is essentially an aspirational purchase (by luxury i refer to any timepiece that retails over sg$10k)
        Those who choose to pay are essentially ‘buying into’ a lifestyle that the brands portray.
        These brands constantly try to create the perception of a luxurious lifestyle by intensive marketing and branding, to justify the expensive price tag.
        So branding cost is one of the reason

On top of this, there is also the cost of production
        Not every brand is like rolex, who produces watches in the millions every year
        More often than not, most luxury brands produce only 1000-2000pc per model per year, which makes them unable to reap the benefits of economies of scale

then you have the middlemen and the markups by ADs (rolex typically are marked up 40% by ADs, other brands are marked up even higher - in the range 50-60%, hence these other brands often are given more discounts by ADs)

I have heard a rolex SS sub C cost sg$1k+ to manufacture, is sold to the ADs at sg$6k+, who subsequently mark up to the recommended retail price $10k+

btw, rolex controls its supply very tightly; each AD store typically gets a rolex SS sub C once every 2-3mth
        afterall, supply low + demand high = you can increase price every year

Originally posted by RolexSunday View Post
        Thanks for sharing. After watching these videos, I have a hunch to ask the following questions "does anyone feel that paying thousands of dollars for a piece of mechanical watch is too much?"

Anyone being provoked?
        Last edited by skydweller_sg; 03-02-13, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
        Working...
        X