Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed on 179173 / 79173

Hi all,

Just bought 179174 from AD last year after doing much research through this forum. I'm now considering to purchase 179173 MOP with diamond indexes / markers either thoroughly AD or preowned watch dealers (if the price differential is great).

As this is the first time I'm considering preowned, I would need some advise from seniors out there.

1) I was quoted $7k+ for 79173. Was told it's manufactured in 2003 and K series. Is that right as I read somewhere that K series were manufactured in 2001?

2) Was told all parts are original Rolex parts, including the MOP dial and diamond markers. Is there any tell tale sign just from the look of the MOP if that is original? I think diamond markers wise may be hard to tell so I shall not dwell on that.

3) Condition looks good but could be due to after polishing. Except I felt that it's lighter in terms of weight compared to my 179174 and was told because 79173 uses the older version bracelet which joints are hollow, unlike the "successors" with model number starting with "179".

4) Considering that the full watch and all the parts are original (no single aftermarket parts as I was told) and the specs (MOP dial with diamond markers), K series, what would be a reasonable price to pay?

I intended to bring this to RSC for verification but given that this is not individual seller, I'll have to pay first before verifying. This is a pretty reputable dealer so I do have some trust in them but I rather play safe to get it verified to get a piece of mind. What do I need to include in invoice in order to avoid dispute if the result of verification turned out to be different from the details that they presented to me?

Helps and advices from all are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi .. Would happy to give some of my experience ... As far as I'm concern

1) K is almost end of 2001 . Until mid 02 . Vert might date 2003 due to the date of the watch is sold.

2) need to use loop to see the wording and diamonds marker . An experienced watchmaker would able to tell and it's not easy to put diamonds on MOP

3) 79173 always lighter than 179173

4) I would say around 6000 good cond with box n paper

Comment

Originally posted by timeseriesmy View Post
      Hi .. Would happy to give some of my experience ... As far as I'm concern

1) K is almost end of 2001 . Until mid 02 . Vert might date 2003 due to the date of the watch is sold.

2) need to use loop to see the wording and diamonds marker . An experienced watchmaker would able to tell and it's not easy to put diamonds on MOP

3) 79173 always lighter than 179173

4) I would say around 6000 good cond with box n paper
      Thanks for your prompt response. And yes, I forgot to mention, the one I was looking at come with paper and box. I was thinking $6k - $6.5k too but thought I solicit feedback first as I was quite new to preowned. Don't wish to negotiate using an unrealistic price that pissed the dealer off too. Haven't been able to find the same model (even those mfg in different year in the market currently so that I can have a rough idea so feedback from all would be very useful.

Comment

NO problem.. but its always better to negotiate for better price.. maybe lower than 6k if .. never try never know right

Not that u are offering him $4500 or some sort

Comment

Originally posted by Rolex116613
          Since you going to RSC to get it verified, than no need to worry so much as the RSC technician can tell the difference.
          You state that the shop u buying from is a reputable shop but verifing the watch with RSC is still recommended.
          You also state that the reputable shop is asking for 7k plus for the watch, my advice is do not try and counter offer with 6k. The best they will allow is maybe $100 to $500 discount, asking for a 4 figure discount or a 15% discount for a preown watch is not possible especially in reputable preown shop.
          If you want a cheaper watch, ROC SG is the place to go.
          ROC SG is also very reputable and yes, you might be able to find something that you want at a much better price than shops.
          Thanks for your advice.

I do agree that getting them to down the price by so much may be quite impossible. However, my point is not on the price nego part. Rather, a reasonable price based on the info stated at the starting of this thread. I'm posting for advice here as I've done some read up on ROC SG garage as well as check out few preowned shops. There's nothing close which I can make comparison to.

In your opinion, what would be a reasonable price based on the info given, if you may share? The thought that is always on my mind - there is no point nego if the price quoted is far from reasonable value based on specs (IMO price quoted has got nothing to do with reputable as a shop can be very reputable but quote high price).

I will not wish to spend time nego or giving them rediculous price if the difference between price quoted and fair value is too far off. That being said, I am trying to find out what is this "fair value", being a newbie.

And I suspect that they over quoted me as when I called to check on 179173 (with cert), I was told no stock but would costs around $7k+ if there is stock. When I went down, I asked about 79173 (exactly the same specs as my phone enquiry with cert as well) and was quoted same price, that should not be the case, being an older version of 179173.

Comment

Wrt condition, apart from bracelet (eg being sagging), what else do I look for?

I believe most will look good after some polishing and maintenance done by the preowned dealers (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Comment

Originally posted by NewRollieBB View Post
              Wrt condition, apart from bracelet (eg being sagging), what else do I look for?

I believe most will look good after some polishing and maintenance done by the preowned dealers (correct me if I'm wrong)?
              Time accuracy. Ask the seller how many sec fast a day or slow. Very important: mostly seller always say this. keeping good time keeping good time. But if you ask how many sec fast a day or slow. Game over:

Comment

Originally posted by Hiroki View Post
                Time accuracy. Ask the seller how many sec fast a day or slow. Very important: mostly seller always say this. keeping good time keeping good time. But if you ask how many sec fast a day or slow. Game over:
                Ok, that's on the mechanism part. I read somewhere that 4 sec is the norm. So what is considered in bad condition? Wow, when going into mechanism, I'm totally confused. Maybe I'm just now cut to look into preowned. Too many things to look out for.

Comment

79173 white face diamond dial some quoted 6k plus.
                  Example,
                  http://www.precisionwatch.com.sg/en/...mond-index-da/

179173 diamond dial, mop face price quoted by some preown shop are more than 10k.
                  Example,
                  http://www.hjwatch.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=4520
                  You might also want to check passion, jw watch, chuan watches and other preown shop for reference.
                  Thanks

Think I tried contacting them but most not open today. For those I've checked, around 8 today all don't carry 79173.

I saw this watch at HJ website but it's not 79173 and not in diamonds so I didn't know how much to adjust for. I'll check out the rest tomorrow.

Comment

Oh ya, I saw these but as they are not exactly the same spec (not MOP dial) so I thought it may not be fair if I use these as "anchor" / guide since MOP should be more ex.

Comment

Ok, that's on the mechanism part. I read somewhere that 4 sec is the norm. So what is considered in bad condition? Wow, when going into mechanism, I'm totally confused. Maybe I'm just now cut to look into preowned. Too many things to look out for.
                      Let me make it easy for you. we always go for looks for preowned watch. Looks good than outstanding. But how about time accuracy is very important. Yes after all the view and well watch is good looking. You have a right to know the time accuracy. That is the next step to know the watch is good condition. Yes I know some people don't care about the time accuracy. But think deep watch is about time. Do you want your watch not keeping good time. I will upload pic Tommorow this watch almost look same like bro Rolex116613 link http://www.hjwatch.com/index.php<br ...oducts_id=4520. But is preowned got this from SG roc member he one of the best outstanding privet seller helpful. Time accuracy one sec a day.

Comment

Yup, get what you mean. Just that I didn't tot about this. Now I will take this into consideration. But how much is considered poor (knowing that not all watch can be as good as just 1 sec a day)? Thanks.
                        Btw, link not working.

Comment

Yup, get what you mean. Just that I didn't tot about this. Now I will take this into consideration. But how much is considered poor (knowing that not all watch can be as good as just 1 sec a day)? Thanks.
                          Btw, link not working.
                          Yup, don't have to be like me. I know that I sometime i very crazy. Just look for the watch that you want and the looks condition. But if you are lucky if seller is helpful that's how you know the time accuracy. But not all seller can help you sometimes luck also. But for me aslong the seller can't give me this info that seller not good to me. Some seller call me kuku you know that. But I don't care is my money. Make it easy for you ok don't be like me. One sec a day I know sound crazy. Just don't buy anyhow look for good seller is your money you have your right. If can not more than 10 sec a day not slow than 2 sec a day. ok good luck !!

Comment

Originally posted by Hiroki View Post
                            Yup, don't have to be like me. I know that I sometime i very crazy. Just look for the watch that you want and the looks condition. But if you are lucky if seller is helpful that's how you know the time accuracy. But not all seller can help you sometimes luck also. But for me aslong the seller can't give me this info that seller not good to me. Some seller call me kuku you know that. But I don't care is my money. Make it easy for you ok don't be like me. One sec a day I know sound crazy. Just don't buy anyhow look for good seller is your money you have your right. If can not more than 10 sec a day not slow than 2 sec a day. ok good luck !!
                            No worries. Thanks for the info. All contributions are useful info to me.

Comment

You can always watsapp me at 91 26 35 11 for more discussion.
                              Thanks, Rolex116613 for all the help you have rendered.

Fakes are my worried too and so I'm not looking at online purchase, as what most forumers warned against newbie esp. Hence I m only looking at the reputable ones which forumers recommended.

I'll whatsapp u if I needed further assistance but the passion link which you have sent me is a good gauge, the nearest to the specs I was looking at currently. I just have to adjust the price for MOP dial.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X