Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To service my Sea Dweller or not? Pls advise...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If u bring ur watch to service at RSC before the 2 years warranty period, they will tell u that ur watch is new, does not require servicing yet. In another words, they just dun wish to overhaul for u for FREE.

Comment

Yup, but I still get some idiots trying to pull a fast one by low-balling, saying that the watch is "xx" years old n need servicing Liao, so only offering "zZZz" price. As if when they buy Liao, they will sure send for servicing? I strongly doubt it... No money, then buy cheaper watch, that's all I can say...

Comment

I think someone who had taken effort to have the watch serviced is likely someone who cares for his watches.

Comment

Originally posted by nimm12
          there's a golden rule - if it aint broken dont fix it
          Not true, a regular maintenance equates to cost saving long term and ensures that the timepiece is of pristine condition at all times, don't tell me you wait for your car to be broken down then you send it for servicing, if that's the case, everything is too late Liao.

Comment

nothing is too late to service
            even if the movement stop completely, it can be restored in the hands of experts in the service centers
            btw why do people like to compare watch with cars?
            That's you and your ways of doing things, nobody stopping you if you like your things get broken and then have it repaired, and I'm talking about costs saving that a well maintained watch has lesser chances of breaking down. Only an idiot doesn't know that watch technician can't restore dead watch. I'm telling watch lover to take care of their prized watch.

As for comparing cars with watches, it simply same logic and I believe most members will agree with me that not only watches need to be serviced once in a while, infact most gadgets need it, not wait till they are dead. As a responsible member here, we should give informed advice not something opined by oneself that couldn't be substantiated with facts.

Comment

one of the consideration in buying a preown watch is the age of the watch and its last servicing date
              so buyers are right to check on the age of watch and enquire on the last servicing date - if the watch is old without servicing record, buyer can offer lower price than a watch of similar age but just serviced with servicing record + oem warranty

but if you have already put up your watch for sale at a lower price taking into consideration the above, and buyers still offer you lower price, it could be your watch cosmetic not ideal, eg with dings, scratches, or if there are missing items eg cert/box/accessories

if your watch cosmetic is mint with all box/papers/accessories, yet buyers still offer u lower price after you have lower price taking into consideration lack of servicing, then it could be your offer price is too high compared to 'market rate'

if you have lowered your expectation to the 'market rate' yet still offered low price, then its consider lowballing - usually preown shops are the experts in doing this
              Just see how you contradict your own so call advice to member here, one moment you talk about service records and another moment say service is not needed at all.

And I'm not shameful to admit that I'm an idiot, only idiot like me will do something like engaging you who's not an idiot yet.

Comment

Originally posted by smartyjones18 View Post
                As a responsible member here, we should give informed advice not something opined by oneself that couldn't be substantiated with facts.
                Well said bro!
                Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

+1 +1
                  Paiseh, I am an idiot too. Think smart people like you better don't engage me in case it makes you look like an idiot too.

Comment

Well said bro

Back to the topic - has TS decide to service the seadweller?

If it aint broken dont fix it
                    Bro who? I think you make a mistake.

Already told you not to engage me and make yourself look like an idiot loh..

Comment

Watch was sold without servicing being done... Like I mentioned earlier, its individual's preference whether to service their watch every 3-5 years or not. Some watch has not undergone any servicing even after 10years n still running well. Some after servicing stop running. Yes, we agree that by saying "watch serviced by XXX on YYY date, gives a better assurance to the buyer, but that doesn't mean I can include the cost of the servicing into my selling price... Can I? So I choose to sell without sending the watch for servicing. The new owner, maybe a much more "watch-lover" than I am, can then choose whether or not to send for servicing.

In this forum, I saw some selling some older series than mine, n never state that it has been serviced before, n selling at a much higher price (good luck to their sale n questions from IDIOTS).

Comment

The question in this thread from TS is whether he should service his watch prior to selling it. Apparently, the question is not about what is the best practice for maintaining a watch, but rather, what is the best thing to do from an economic point of view and what makes the watch easier to sell, in such a situation. Most members shared their view in that aspect.

Somehow one member came out with a golden rule that implies the best practice to maintaining a watch is not to service it until it is broken, which brought the discussion a little bit off-topic. As a concerned member, smartyjones18 countered that misleading golden rule with his argument and I share his point. Yes, it is not uncommon that many watches run well after 10 years without servicing, but that does not make it the best practice or golden rule in term of maintaining a watch. Like deslene pointed out, it is individual's preference when one choose to service a watch. However, more often than not, the consideration of watch owners is not what is best for the watch but what is best for his wallet. It is just like a health screening, most people know the best thing to do is to have a health screening every half to one year, but many do not do that due to cost consideration. I am pretty sure that if watch manufacturers give life-time free servicing, most of us here would send our watches for servicing once every few years, and not wait until they are broken.

I will end my participation in this thread with some quote regarding maintenance of mechanical watches from the FAQ section of a reputable watch forum:

' However, it is important to periodically service a watch to ensure that the components are well-lubricated, and that the mechanism is free from dust, dirt, and moisture. Any water that gets inside a mechanical watch will wreak havoc with the precision mechanism inside, especially the anchor escapement and escape wheel which are typically made of steel.

The typical rule of thumb is to have the water resistance (i.e., the integrity of the seals in the crown, bezel, and caseback) of a watch checked every year or so, especially if used for sports or diving. With the development of modern synthetic lubricants, most manufacturers recommend a servicing every four or five years.'

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                          The question in this thread from TS is whether he should service his watch prior to selling it. Apparently, the question is not about what is the best practice for maintaining a watch, but rather, what is the best thing to do from an economic point of view and what makes the watch easier to sell, in such a situation. Most members shared their view in that aspect.

Somehow one member came out with a golden rule that implies the best practice to maintaining a watch is not to service it until it is broken, which brought the discussion a little bit off-topic. As a concerned member, smartyjones18 countered that misleading golden rule with his argument and I share his point. Yes, it is not uncommon that many watches run well after 10 years without servicing, but that does not make it the best practice or golden rule in term of maintaining a watch. Like deslene pointed out, it is individual's preference when one choose to service a watch. However, more often than not, the consideration of watch owners is not what is best for the watch but what is best for his wallet. It is just like a health screening, most people know the best thing to do is to have a health screening every half to one year, but many do not do that due to cost consideration. I am pretty sure that if watch manufacturers give life-time free servicing, most of us here would send our watches for servicing once every few years, and not wait until they are broken.

I will end my participation in this thread with some quote regarding maintenance of mechanical watches from the FAQ section of a reputable watch forum:

' However, it is important to periodically service a watch to ensure that the components are well-lubricated, and that the mechanism is free from dust, dirt, and moisture. Any water that gets inside a mechanical watch will wreak havoc with the precision mechanism inside, especially the anchor escapement and escape wheel which are typically made of steel.

The typical rule of thumb is to have the water resistance (i.e., the integrity of the seals in the crown, bezel, and caseback) of a watch checked every year or so, especially if used for sports or diving. With the development of modern synthetic lubricants, most manufacturers recommend a servicing every four or five years.'
                          Thanks pegasi for ur input, appreciated it... The reason why I started this thread is to make sure I'm able to sell off my Sea Dweller in the best way. (be it fastest for me, best price for buyer or whatever. My wife wanted me to sell off 2 of 3 of my rolex after I got an AP diver, so its a very reluctant sale. Nothing wrong with my watches, just needed to trim them down to make my wife happier that's all). I have notice that in some threads, there are buyers enquiring on the watch service records when its more than 5 years, n of cos there are the famous low-ballers who just wanna pull a fast one on the deal. Think when we talk about servicing a watch, its rather tricky for some... Yes, the golden rules applied. But somehow, we human-being are afterall, human-being, we do things that only benefits us more than others. Like some have mentioned, if watch not serviced, then sell lower. If watch serviced recently, then the cost incurred if added to the sale asking price might seems too high for some... Its up to individual in the end to decide what they want. If they are willing to pay more, then look for a newer watch with good service records. Else, have to settle for older n not serviced watch.

I choose not to service the watch cos I wanna sell them fast. If send for servicing, I can only sell them maybe 6-8weeks later.

I do see in this forums there are lots n lots of watches on sale now that's definitely older than mine, n are not serviced before (at least not stated in the sale thread), n people are still buying them... So its a happy buyer, happy seller thing. Not happy, don't buy. Happy, lets deal. That's the most important thing I feel. Cos I wouldn't wanna be forcing anyone to buy my watch. U see, happy with it, pay, n enjoy the watch, both party happy. U see, happy, but wanna low-ball, buyer not happy, no deal, both not happy in the end, that's not what I look for...

Mod, would appreciate u closing this thread as the watch has been sold. Thanks.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X