The Rolex GMT 16710 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rolex GMT 16710 thread

Not new to watches nor vintage, but just acquired my first Rolex Vintage, a K series pinhole coke:

Now sourcing for a pepsi bezel

Any other 16710 owners out there?

Errr....I don't think K qualifies to be a vintage....

Comment

Originally posted by Mezz72 View Post
      Errr....I don't think K qualifies to be a vintage....

+1

Definitely not Vintage or even Neo-Vintage.

But its still a beautiful piece. Congrats.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
      it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
      How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
      That's how winning is done.'

Comment

Originally posted by Ryuden View Post
        +1

Definitely not Vintage or even Neo-Vintage.

But its still a beautiful piece. Congrats.
        oops - in that case can mods please delete?

Comment

think it's fine...

Originally posted by metalgear View Post
          haha.. think no need to delete lah... you didn't do that on purpose and just stretching the definition of vintage a little further than most. and you are not selling anything piece here so would not have stepped into the area of "mis-selling"

I have seen forumers who proclaimed that as long as a particular Rolex model is out of production, it qualifies as vintage! a bit too far fetched though but to each his own I guess...

Since we are on this topic, how would the bros here classify a Rolex model as vintage? For me, minimum must be matte dial, plexi crystal and patina-ed ! and out of production of course!

Comment

Originally posted by metalgear View Post
            Yup. No need for that. I wasn't sure myself what constitutes a vintage back then as the definitions varies to each individuals.

The purists defines them as a model that comes with plexi crystal,matt and patina dial and 4 digits i.e. the model number consist of 4 digits example 5513,5512,1680,1665 and so on...My take is,this is the real vintage.

Some goes by the age. Anything above 25 years are vintage and even 5 digits modern pieces (models with sapphire crystal) provided it comes with the minimal requirement, a matt patina dial or a nicely patina dial with the white gold markers example 16660,16800,168000,16610,16600...My take is,this is consider neo-vintage.

A few will define vintage as any discon models even though it comes with a luminova dial...

Non of the answers are wrong. It's only a matter of personal perceptions. This is my understanding of the various categories. Some will have their own understanding of vintage. To each their own.

And yours looks good on the leather Nato.
            Last edited by Ryuden; 10-08-14, 11:10 PM.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
            it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
            How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
            That's how winning is done.'

Comment

Neo-vintage...

Originally posted by Ryuden View Post
              example 16660,16800,168000,16610,16600...My take is,this is consider neo-vintage.
              Seen you using this term before... Nicely and correctly coined term for such models ... neo-vintage

Comment

Originally posted by shou.biao.kuang View Post
                Seen you using this term before... Nicely and correctly coined term for such models ... neo-vintage
                yeah that's cool

its more affordable than the classic vintage, surprised that there aren't many in the forums.

Comment

Came across a GMT 2 16710 P series Pepsi dial superlumi marker.
                  Watch is in very good condition however the bracelet is a 78360 single clasp instead of double lock.
                  Any expert can advise if they were original matching(head and bracelet)?
                  Thank in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by llyyhh View Post
                    Came across a GMT 2 16710 P series Pepsi dial superlumi marker.
                    Watch is in very good condition however the bracelet is a 78360 single clasp instead of double lock.
                    Any expert can advise if they were original matching(head and bracelet)?
                    Thank in advance.
                    probably not original. it should be 78790A by that time, if not the 78790 (pre SEL).

a good way to tell is to check the clasp code - is it from a different period (earlier than 1999) or without "S" (service) prefix? it could also be a genuine RSC/rolex replacement as the 78360 and 62510 was issued with the GMT2 (usually lug hole models) in the past.
                    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                      probably not original. it should be 78790A by that time, if not the 78790 (pre SEL).

a good way to tell is to check the clasp code - is it from a different period (earlier than 1999) or without "S" (service) prefix? it could also be a genuine RSC/rolex replacement as the 78360 and 62510 was issued with the GMT2 (usually lug hole models) in the past.
                      Thanks for the response.
                      Anyway is it worth to pay 5.8K for the piece?

Comment

Thanks for the response.
                        Thanks for the response.
                        hard to say. do you like super luminova? what are your thoughts on the possibly mismatched bracelet? your standards may be different from mine. if it's in perfect working condition, you can get some sort of guarantee, not polished, crown/tube not stripped or near stripping, internal lug holes are not elongated, no pitting anywhere - including the gasket walls... i think so!
                        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Appreciate so much for your advise.
                          Thank you Sir.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X