Advise on Skydweller 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on Skydweller 2014

Super impressed with the time zone & month display.

Thinking of getting the leather strap white gold model but feels the buckle to be abit let down though.

Would the value of this watch hold ?

Could bros share feedback on the usability of the functions & give me advise before I commit..

Many many thanks in advance !!

this is not an annual calendar of the "classical" sort...

(ie, no moonphase and no day indicated but added function of a second time zone indicator)

for me, i felt it was a deal breaker although i was under the impression it was powered by a very robust caliber (9000 i think), despite being unproven on the market.

the bezel adjustment style was very novel for me, but i somehow have the (wrong?) impression it does not lead to longevity without a very stringent service interval and perhaps could fail more easily than what i'm used to in a rolex watch.

despite my perceived weakness about it, if i somehow knew how the selector wheel in action and could see a cross section of the watch, i would probably feel much better about the integration of the bezel selector system into the watch case.

finally... although it's rated to 100M and in an oyster case... i felt the case was a bit too thick and heavy. i can certainly see why some people prefer it that way but it's just not me.

if you shop around, you can easily find a gold PP 5146 to your liking around the same price range... preowned, unfortunately... but that's okay by me.

in fact, i think you could even afford an older (smaller) PP perpetual calendar if you have small wrists. sorry about moving your skydweller discussion into PP territory!
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Well said. At that price PP 5146 is a good consideration. Not revolutionary, conventional.

IMO skydweller will definitely take a good lot of depreciation when purchased new. Long term appreciation is not very bright.
      Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Actually not looking for watch with perpetual calendar but extremely impressed with its new features & its dial. Just saw the watch today & compared with ROO safari...

ROO seems more suitable for now but the chronometer is for aesthetic purpose only & not useful. Also with many variants in the market, not sure if its value would hold for future resale.

SkyD very appealing & would definitely suit future wear but the strap & buckle lose out to ROO. Also, there is not much feedback in the forum on it thus not sure if it is worth the buck & if value would hold for resale.

ps: pp not really my cup of tea.. no offence

Comment

I will take the sky dweller...
          As for value retention, I have no comment on this.
          You seldom see much transactions on this watch because of its value.
          I think you need some class and flair to carry this watch.... IMHO, this is a mature man watch...

Comment

this model has one of the worst resale value among rolex sports model
            likewise for yatchmaster II

Comment

I have the RG version and like it a lot. I have flirted between the SkyD and Patek indeed put mine on the market last Friday only to withdraw this weekend. It's a sports casual dress crossover and has a terrific wrist presence. The resale values are all relative, it's not the first time I have heard that resale is poor but at the price it's a captive market. Rolex just dont lost that much money so the claim to the contrary doesn't stack up. the other forums back up my train of thought.
              Go for it - it's a great watch

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X