Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial and hands for 16760

hi all

I've been offered a 16760 Fat Lady for about S$5500. That's the good part... but dial and hands have been changed by rolex some years ago, and the watch obviously needs an overhaul and another servicing .

What are your thoughts ? Is it worth buying because the hands/dial are not original? Will it cost a lot to find original aged ones?

Originally posted by keltzar View Post
    hi all

I've been offered a 16760 Fat Lady for about S$5500. That's the good part... but dial and hands have been changed by rolex some years ago, and the watch obviously needs an overhaul and another servicing .

What are your thoughts ? Is it worth buying because the hands/dial are not original? Will it cost a lot to find original aged ones?
    It is very important for a vintage watch comes with original dial and hands (Just like a heart of a human) and that directly affect the value of the watch. Most of the collectors prefer to get back the original dial and hands even though it doesn't looks good.

That's my 2 cents.

Cheerio,
    Last edited by ^Lee^; 29-03-08, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Also, the overhaul and another servicing probably may cost you a bomb.

If I were you, I probably will check the condition of the watch and quote for the overhaul and service before the purchase.

Good luck...

Cheerio,

Comment

Not worth to buy. Dial may cost $1k or more and very hard to find.
        Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
        Rolex LV submariner
        Rolex TT black submariner
        Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
        Rolex Non date submariner
        Rolex Explorer2
        More...

Comment

Originally posted by keltzar View Post
          hi all

It's extremely hard to find original aged dial and hands for a fat lady and the ones that are available on ebay are normally after-market ones.

Another point is that once the dial and hands been changed, the originality of the watch is lost and therefore, the value is lower.

With all that said, nevertheless, the fat lady is still a watch worth collecting. Reason being because it was like no other GMT's made before and after (the extra thick casing, bezel size and new caliber).

These are only my thoughts...

Comment

Honestly, even though you can find the original dial and hands, it's also difficult to match back the color between the dial marker and hands. It could be the markers more yellowish and the hands more whitish. With this condition, the watch difinitely looks funny and NOT original.

Unless they comes in a set. This is the most difficult part to find vintage spare parts.

Cheerio,

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lee^ View Post
              Honestly, even though you can find the original dial and hands, it's also difficult to match back the color between the dial marker and hands. It could be the markers more yellowish and the hands more whitish. With this condition, the watch difinitely looks funny and NOT original.

Unless they comes in a set. This is the most difficult part to find vintage spare parts.

Cheerio,
              I agreed with that. That is the issue with older Rolex watches that uses Tritium, they aged to a nice yellowish colour aka patina which is really nice. But if you need replacement for the hands, bezels, then your option might only be limited to a new set that uses superluminova since vintage parts are not widely available and even if they are available, they may not match yours in terms of the shade in aged colour. So if you opt for replacement, then the aged colour and that of the new parts become of a mismatched. Look at some of the 1680, 16800 and you will noticed the mismatched colour of the small crystal on their bezel (at 12) and the hour markers on the dial. Most would elect to keep the original bezel for that matching vintage look despite it being badly scratched up. But then, you will have to live with the scratches and that can be an eyesore to some. So I guess that is the trade-off one muz be able to live with when it comes to vintage pieces. juz my 2cents
              HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THOSE WHO
              REALIZE THERE'S NEVER A RIGHT WAY.

ONLY A BETTER WAY.

Comment

funny thing about the 16760. I tried it on at a local shop recently and had a chance to compare it to the 16710 ... it was slightly bigger, but I was expecting to be like comparing a SD to a Sub and it wasn't quite in those proportions.

Comment

So bro, did you buy the fatlady in the end? How much for the overhaul?
                  There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy

Comment

haha... no, not yet.
                    I spied a Z-series 14060M without COSC certification for a darn good price and ended up with that instead. The Fat Lady is currently over-priced... can afford to wait a while to find the right piece.

Comment

If the dial and hands are still original.....only that its Luminova instead of tritium......I thinks its a good price.The 16760 is known for its thick case.....Nothing special about the dial.Remember.......that's why its called the FAT LADY.

After U service it, it will come wif Svce papers, which will add value to the watch.

Ultimately....its yr choice.

Regards,Peter.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X