Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Submariners Factory Sealed in Plastic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Submariners Factory Sealed in Plastic?

I'm keen to purchase either the Submariner 16610 or 16613.

After visiting a few authorised dealers, I noticed that some shops display new Subs seal-wrapped in plastic, while others display them bare with just the bezel protector attached, so the glass is smudged with fingerprints.

I'd like to ask if all new Subs come from the factory sealed-wrapped in plastic? Is this an important factor?

I've yet to visit the authorised dealers in People's Park. Do they tend to give better discounts than those in Paragon, Ngee Ann, Peninsula etc.?

Thank you for your advice. Although I've owned a DJ for 18 years, I'm new to Subs and am thrilled about getting one.

well... best to check out and most importantly, make it clear to the AD that you have shopped around and looking for best deals. that tends to have some competition for your business....
    back to the plastic wrap... my ad takes everything off... so its naked in the shelf and everyone touching it. I dont think its a big issue, best thing to do, is to bring a loupe and check everything out before putting a single cent on the AD table.
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

usually a watch is wrapped with plastic when kept away from shelves. if it is on display, usually it is without plastic. fingerprints can be wiped away. however, scratches cannot be wiped away. so before purchasing, look @ the watch exterior carefully.

as to your question if they come wrapped in plastic, answer is no. they are kept inside a plastic holder when transported.

discount given varies from different AD. it is not necessary that @ people's park, the discount given will be more compared to paragon. it depends on several factors such as ur bargaining power, ur relation with AD, and many other reasons.

Originally posted by dsdfan99 View Post

After visiting a few authorised dealers, I noticed that some shops display new Subs seal-wrapped in plastic, while others display them bare with just the bezel protector attached, so the glass is smudged with fingerprints.

I'd like to ask if all new Subs come from the factory sealed-wrapped in plastic? Is this an important factor?

I've yet to visit the authorised dealers in People's Park. Do they tend to give better discounts than those in Paragon, Ngee Ann, Peninsula etc.?

Thank you for your advice. Although I've owned a DJ for 18 years, I'm new to Subs and am thrilled about getting one.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I'm keen to purchase either the Submariner 16610 or 16613.

Nope they are not wrapped at the factory. They only have stickers on all sides, i.e. crystal, case sides, watch back, bracelet clasp.

People's Park do not give better discounts. Best to go is end of month, quarter, year end when account closing.

Comment

Thanks to you experienced collectors for sharing these useful tips! Now I will feel more aware and confident going into the shops.

I'm very impressed by the blue TT Sub, but am also considering the black TT sub, which seems less striking but more subtle. Am I right that the black TT is more rare than the blue? I've yet to see one in the flesh, although almost every dealer displays a blue TT. Seems the blue is much more popular, so probably better resale value.

Is the Gold Bezel of the 16613 softer and more prone to denting than the steel bezel of the 16610?

I only plan to own 1 sub, so i thought it should a special TT sub, though theregular 16610 does appeal in a very elemental and non-nonsense way!

The price of the 16613 seems to have made a big jump from $11895 to $12732 in recent months. Most shops offer a 15% discount straight off. Has anyone gotten as much as 20% off for a 16613 using cash?

Seems almost impossible to get a discount on the 16610.

Based on Wean_sg's advice about buying at the end of accounting periods, would end of June be ideal? End December may not be good since people receive their bonuses then.

Reading through the threads, the sub seems to resonate with something primal and deep within the human soul. Strange!

Comment

whether the bezel is gold or not should not be prone to denting. however, if u give it a hard knock it could be. normal usage should be fine.

as to which tone to get, my advise is that if possible try out both. see which one you prefer.

additional discount of another 5% for cash payment is pretty hard, considering if you thinking along the line to say that card warrant a additional 2-3 % additional surcharge. depends on your bargaining skill and amount of leg work done, an addition of 2-3% on top of what is the common quoted can be achieved.

i do not believe that end of month or quarter or whatever will give them more reason to give additional discount. this is because if they lack sales target, then they might give to get the sales. but look on the other perspective, if they have met sales target, would they bother to give u additional discount.

on the other perspective, why not go beginning of the opening hours? chinese believe that the first sale of the day should be completed as it will ensure smooth and more business coming in? so what you think?

to get additional discount, most of the time is to do leg work. why not check out prices @ people's park area then head to lucky plaza where there are an additional of at least 4 shops where u can compare prices. do homework as i always said.

good luck to ur quest of getting a rolex. do remember to post pictures once you got them.

Thanks to you experienced collectors for sharing these useful tips! Now I will feel more aware and confident going into the shops.

I'm very impressed by the blue TT Sub, but am also considering the black TT sub, which seems less striking but more subtle. Am I right that the black TT is more rare than the blue? I've yet to see one in the flesh, although almost every dealer displays a blue TT. Seems the blue is much more popular, so probably better resale value.

Is the Gold Bezel of the 16613 softer and more prone to denting than the steel bezel of the 16610?

I only plan to own 1 sub, so i thought it should a special TT sub, though theregular 16610 does appeal in a very elemental and non-nonsense way!

The price of the 16613 seems to have made a big jump from $11895 to $12732 in recent months. Most shops offer a 15% discount straight off. Has anyone gotten as much as 20% off for a 16613 using cash?

Seems almost impossible to get a discount on the 16610.

Based on Wean_sg's advice about buying at the end of accounting periods, would end of June be ideal? End December may not be good since people receive their bonuses then.

Reading through the threads, the sub seems to resonate with something primal and deep within the human soul. Strange!
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

leg work, market awareness and dont let your soul take over the decision and you will be fine!!
              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
              Blue 6694
              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                whether the bezel is gold or not should not be prone to denting. however, if u give it a hard knock it could be. normal usage should be fine. .
                I understand gold is generally softer than steel, so more prone to damage. The gold fluted bezel on my half-gold DJ tends to sustain deeper scratches than the steel portions. After professional polishing, the scratches from the steel parts vanish, but deeper scratches in the gold bezel are still visible on close inspection.

Since it is a professional model, does the TT Sub feature a harder gold alloy for its Bezel and links than the DJ?

The Blue TT Sub is truly gorgeous. But to be consistent with the professional design of the Sub, I suppose ruggedness is an equally essential quality at the core of what the original Submariner is all about.

Seeing that the market price of the SS 16610 is so stiff, if I am offered a $100+ discount off the $8228 retail, it should be a good deal, correct?

Should I also ensure the Sub is the latest M series? Are there any important improvements in the M series over earlier Subs?

Thanks to Triton, Seiko.citizen and Wean_sg, and other experienced sub owners who could advise.
                Last edited by dsdfan99; 17-05-08, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Bro.. appended my advice to your post in RED..
                  I understand gold is generally softer than steel, so more prone to damage. The gold fluted bezel on my half-gold DJ tends to sustain deeper scratches than the steel portions. After professional polishing, the scratches from the steel parts vanish, but deeper scratches in the gold bezel are still visible on close inspection.
                  This I agree but ONLY if hard knocks (like dropping it on road tarmac surface) would sustain the difference in the material used (gold vs ss). In anycase, to such a degree of damage caused by knocks, even for SS, polishing MAY not totally return the damage surface to its flawless condition.
                  But as Triton mentioned, I agree for NORMAL usage, it won't make such a significant difference.. anyways.. we definitely would prevent any sever knocks on such an expensive watch...

Since it is a professional model, does the TT Sub feature a harder gold alloy than the DJ?
                  Logically, its a sports watch, materials used should be better but honestly, I don't think we can be certain that they do use harder alloy.. I would only dare comment that the CASING is more robust I suppose vs a DJ.

The Blue TT Sub is truly gorgeous, but to be consistent with the professional design and nature of the Sub, I suppose ruggedness is an equally essential quality at the heart of what a Submariner is all about.
                  I was first attracted to a BLUE DIAL TT Sub as well.. but slapping it on my wrist and comparing it with a BLACK DIAL TT Sub, I feel the latter is more suitable for me.. go try it on to see which suits you best.. IMHO, YOu can't go wrong with a SUB or SD if you are looking for a rugged watch.
                  However, if the gold Bezel and links on the TT are as hard as their steel counterparts on the 16610, I would choose the 16613. Nice to have good looks AND strength in one package!
                  I understand that someone here did mentioned their AD informed them that the TT GMT cII gold links are more solid vs the TT Sub gold links... u may wana check it out if this is a fact.

Seeing that the market price of the SS 16610 is so stiff, if I am offered a $100+ discount off the $8228 retail, it should be a good deal, correct?
                  Eh... It all voice down to your relation with your AD.. Personally, I don't think its good enough. BUt I do know for a fact that MOST AD practice NO discount (or >$100) given on a sub..

Thanks, Triton, Seiko.citizen and Wean_sg!
                  Good luck with yr hunt bro!!!

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                  - GMT II
                  - GMT IIc TT
                  - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                  - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                  - U1
                  - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X