Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explorer II (3186) - my thoughts and opinion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer II (3186) - my thoughts and opinion...

the past few months had me looking for a daily wear sports watch - something that i hope to keep for some time. it went down to either a COSC 14060M sub or a 16570 explorer 2.

since i deem it to be a keeper, it had to be something of a "calculated buy"...

byway of background:

many moons ago, i once owned an explorer 2. i sold it soon after to buy a blancpain.

earlier this year, my wife bought an explorer 2 for her work-related travel. she came back recently and refused to give up the watch to me.

as for the sub... ah, i love the rolex sub. (sub = no-date sub. sub date = sub with date)

i've owned the 14060/M sub more than once. i love it. it's slim, comfortable, goes with anything i wear, wherever i go.

since i planned to keep this watch, i was looking for something a little different... a modern rolex that was slightly "collectible" so i won't be tempted to sell it to buy something else.

the advice on the street is: get the COSC 14060M sub as it is (or rather, will probably be) produced for a very short period of time. many people have speculated, year after year, that the COSC sub would be replaced "next year".

COSC subs were introduced in late 2007. 3186-equipped explorer 2s were seen in some Zs, most (if not all) Ms and definitely all Vs.

so i decided that a 3186-equipped explorer 2 would fit my bill better - we've not heard any news of a ceramic sub yet. not that we SHOULD expect to hear it... rolex doesn't work like that!

but we've all seen and heard of the mystical "new" explorer 2 earlier this year when it was "pulled" from their basel 2010 line-up.

to me, it's also more practical than a sub. from recollection, it wears as comfortable as a sub. the new versions have the added improvements of the new parachrome spring and slightly updated 3186 movement.

so i took a calculated gamble and decided that my keeper would be an explorer 2. it helped that it was a very low-key and not commonly recognized watch; nevermind that the blue hairspring was known to make the watch run a little slow...

i found one from iswift (it was a V-serial) and after some delays, we transacted rather quickly (almost as quickly as he could count the money) and i was home in no time, no doubt breaking multiple speed limits on my 498cc scooter.

due to my past history with its siblings, it remains a very familiar watch, except that the SEL links makes the bracelet protrude out a little farther than what i was used to, before wrapping around the wrist.

therefore the bracelet doesn't sit as well on my 6.5" wrist as the type utilizing hollow-end links. people with bigger wrists should have no such problems.

since i don't wear bracelets on my watches, this was not an issue for me. however in my hurry to remove the bracelet, i couldn't find the correct spring bar tool and had to use a cheaper type - i ended up slightly scratching the lugs a tiny little bit. NO BOTHER! it's for wearing, not for whining!

with a new hirsch strap (pure) installed, i slipped it on my wrists and all was well.

today marks the first weekend i've had with the watch. it runs about 1-2 seconds slow a day, as expected for a rolex with a blue spring. this doesn't bother me, although i would prefer my watches to run fast. i simply set it a minute or two faster, and adjust it on months with 30 days.

the slack in the hands are minimal, and everything just works. the improvements made in the 3186 are well known, and i need not speak about it.

what i will say is... this is a very understated and unpopular watch simply because it doesn't sit comfortably (properly?) in the rolex line-up. there is nothing intrinsically wrong or inferior with the explorer 2.

it works great, and gives you everything rolex is known for in a well-priced package. the date and extra time zone hand are what i consider freebies.

i have gone scuba diving with my previous explorer 2, and i would probably do the same with this - triplock is not necessary since i'm not a commercial diver.

if the 16570 explorer 2 were to be indeed replaced next year: the price of the new explorer 2 would be higher than what it currently is/was. the case size would increase. the looks would be changed. again. purists would say, a change to something closer to its roots.

but do we all really want a "modern" 1655? because in the process, rolex would be taking something irreplaceable away from us: a well priced, no-nonsense watch that is extremely functional and versatile, yet discreet.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

fantastic review. No wonder my watch always runs slow... now i know why.
    I dont have so much dough to buy an explorer ii as a sports watch and prefer to wear it as a dress watch and it looks real good even with a suit or just shirt and pants.
    Currently own:
    Rolex Explorer 2 Black Dial 16570
    Rolex Precision 6694 (Manual winding)
    Blue Dial/Silver Markers
    Seiko SNZG15K1
    Ball EMII Diver green inner bezel!
    Stowa Marine Original (White dial)

Wishlist:
    Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic PAM 392 42mm

(gone and missing them)
    Omega Seamaster 2254.50
    Breitling Colt GMT (Black dial)

Comment

Tx for sharing your review of the ROLEX Explorer II with us. Enjoyed reading . But how sure are we that the V series model and onwards ALL come with the 3186 movement? Why I asked? Because in an ad in Visiotime, there is a white Explorer II on sale (G series) and it was stated as a "3185" movment
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

If you searched around i believe they changed it from M series onwards and all V series definitely have it.
        Currently own:
        Rolex Explorer 2 Black Dial 16570
        Rolex Precision 6694 (Manual winding)
        Blue Dial/Silver Markers
        Seiko SNZG15K1
        Ball EMII Diver green inner bezel!
        Stowa Marine Original (White dial)

Wishlist:
        Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic PAM 392 42mm

(gone and missing them)
        Omega Seamaster 2254.50
        Breitling Colt GMT (Black dial)

Comment

Great writeup on your latest acquisition and expressions of this exp2. I had recently gone thru a thot process for a everyday rollie and i ended up with a M-serial exp2 which I cant be more happy with.

I wanted something subtle, something non-blingy, GMT IIc was a good option but I just couldn't get past myself on the polished centre links, and the exp2's brushed finishing fits my personality perfectly. Plus the SS bezel adds to a certain sporty feel yet everyday wearability in an office environment.

I had also narrowed down to a 3186 due to the bargain buy compared to other 3186, not having the gmt hand wiggling was another part of my search for some paid precision. And of cos, the blue springs for another extra update.

Somehow, this exp2 (my 2nd rollie) got me to start looking for another sports rollie for my weekend wear, was considering a DSSD but after seeing some pics of the old Sub ND (No-Date), it also got me to ponder if I should wait for its release, IF there is any. I love the no-nonsense look on the sub ND to start with, a serious tool watch without the cyclops and date; dont get me wrong, cyclops are signatures but I crave for no-tales subtleness in my possessions, just me.

Nonetheless, nice review. Wear it with good health.

Btw, I have a scoot too. We should do roll out some rides with our rollie too..LOL

Take care!
          Audentis fortuna juvat.

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
            ...in an ad in Visiotime, there is a white Explorer II on sale (G series) and it was stated as a "3185" movment
            they probably cut and pasted the specifications from a previous/another ad.

i'm in the process of looking for a G-series 16570... when i find one, this V-series will have to leave!
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

wat is G diff from V?

Comment

I just get my self a pre-owned Explorer II, black dial with no pin hole. I dun know the serial of my watch. Btw, what is 3186 movement.

Pai say that i dunno anything.

Comment

Check your receipt if you have it. Otherwise remove the bracelet at the lower end of the watch (6 Oclock position). 3186 mov't = 3185 with the anti magnetic parachrome blu hairspring. this particular mov't was introduced in 2007 if my memory serves me correctly.
                  [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                  Blue 6694
                  Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

My receipt put 16570 F230913 only.

Comment

Originally posted by pokeman71 View Post
                      My receipt put 16570 F230913 only.
                      From your receipt, it seems that your watch is a f series. So yours is a 3185 movement.
                      Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Originally posted by pokeman71 View Post
                        F230913
                        Thats what you are looking for
                        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                        Blue 6694
                        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

That was a good article!!

Now you have driven up the interest for Explorer II.
                          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Anyone wana buy mine? cheap cheap...
                            Audentis fortuna juvat.

Comment

My is F series, no pin hole. Why I saw some posting here eg U series but got pin hole.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X