Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Explorer II and GMT-C Comparison

Hi All,

A new watch and a new comparison... I just finished comparing the new Explorer II and the GMT II - C.

The Explorer II debuted at the Basel 2011 show and the buzz about the watch has not died down. The increased size to a 42mm case, the updated luminescence, Paraflex shock mechanism for the balance wheel, and of course the orange hand, make the Explorer II stand out from the rest of the Rolex line.

On the left is the GMT-C and on the right is the Explorer II. The case thickness between both watches is very similar with the GMT-C being 12mm and the Explorer II being 12.45mm. The Explorer II case is slightly longer as it is wider being 48.70 long versus 46.38mm on the GMT-C. The image does not adequately capture how the Explorer II case has more of a curvature than the flatter GMT-C case. The weight of both watches is very similar with the GMT-C being 145g versus the Explorer II being 150g (weighed with two links removed from the watch strap).

One of the chief complaints on the traditional GMT and Explorer II models was that the Twinloc crown was too small to operate. Rolex answered that criticism by adding the larger Triploc winding crown found on the Submariners.

Rolex answered the small crown criticism on the new Explorer II by fitting it with a larger Twinloc crown, the same one that is found on the Milgauss. Although not as water resistant as the Triploc, it is still plenty water proof and easier to operate.

There is more to the review and more images posted here. All errors and omissions are mine, so feel free to point them out.

Cheers,

Sheldon

Originally posted by sheldonsmith View Post
    Hi All,

A new watch and a new comparison... I just finished comparing the new Explorer II and the GMT II - C.

The Explorer II debuted at the Basel 2011 show and the buzz about the watch has not died down. The increased size to a 42mm case, the updated luminescence, Paraflex shock mechanism for the balance wheel, and of course the orange hand, make the Explorer II stand out from the rest of the Rolex line.

On the left is the GMT-C and on the right is the Explorer II. The case thickness between both watches is very similar with the GMT-C being 12mm and the Explorer II being 12.45mm. The Explorer II case is slightly longer as it is wider being 48.70 long versus 46.38mm on the GMT-C. The image does not adequately capture how the Explorer II case has more of a curvature than the flatter GMT-C case. The weight of both watches is very similar with the GMT-C being 145g versus the Explorer II being 150g (weighed with two links removed from the watch strap).

One of the chief complaints on the traditional GMT and Explorer II models was that the Twinloc crown was too small to operate. Rolex answered that criticism by adding the larger Triploc winding crown found on the Submariners.

Rolex answered the small crown criticism on the new Explorer II by fitting it with a larger Twinloc crown, the same one that is found on the Milgauss. Although not as water resistant as the Triploc, it is still plenty water proof and easier to operate.

There is more to the review and more images posted here. All errors and omissions are mine, so feel free to point them out.

Cheers,

Sheldon
    Thanks for sharing, Sheldon.
    Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Good read on the start of a week.

Tx.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Thanks for the article. A good read.

Comment

Hi Sheldon, I don't know if it is me ... I thought the 24 hour marker font size of the Exp II appears to be smaller than the GMT II, which makes the bezel of the Exp II look less cluttered than the GMT II.

Comment

I just did a side-by-side visual, and it appears that the Exp II letter is *slightly* larger, but there is more white space with the larger dial and thus looking more uncluttered. The GMT lettering appears slightly smaller with less dial space.

-Sheldon

Comment

That's interesting, can't tell from the photos. Thanks for the effort. That's another point up for the Exp II for me.

Comment

Thanks for the sharing, Sheldon. Very informative... and timely as well I suppose, as both watches happen to be the two new additions to my collection in 2012

Comment

Originally posted by sheldonsmith View Post
                  Hi All,

Cheers,

Sheldon
                  Thank you !!! Ive been wanting to see this..... one of these I'll be buying for xmas !!!

Thx again........
                  ROLEX.

Comment

Thanks for the sharing!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X