No announcement yet.

Explorer II with Glidelock; It's Cool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer II with Glidelock; It's Cool!

The new Explorer II model 216570 debuted at the Basel 2011 show, but the watch was missing one item to make it the perfect watch, and that piece was the GlideLock clasp normally outfitted on the Rolex Submariners. Voilà, a GlideLock clasp on my Explorer II. The Glidelock clasp should be standard on the Explorer II, but unfortunately the only way to pimp this watch was to source the GlideLock clasp separately.

The great thing about the GlideLock Extension System is that it enables easy adjustments in 2mm increments and offers a total extension of up to 20mm, long enough to fit over a 3mm wetsuit, or on the outside of a long sleeve shirt or thin jacket.

I have more comparison picts and a small write-up at http://www.minus4plus6.com/glidelock.htm

With the GlideLock clasp, the watch is now perfect.

-Sheldon

Thanks for sharing Sheldon!
    [FONT="Verdana"][B]The Best Dive Is Always The Next One[/B][/FONT]

Comment

The reason why it's not fitted as Explorer II is not a diving watch. The glidelock with easy adjustments is meant for catering different diving suits, I guess. Moreover, Rolex may wish to make glidelock as a distinct features for Sub.

In any case, as long as the clasp fits, we can do whatever we want. I was planning to buy the jubliee bracelet and fit it onto a GMT-Master II. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I guess the explorer2 is more for trekking and mountain climbing?

Comment

Glide lock

Thanks for sharing Sheldon. Where can we get the glide lock? I'm getting an exp II soon!!!!
          'Time' is the most used English word.

Comment

Where can we get one?

Comment

I recall seeing one being sold in eBay. But I think it should readily be available from RSC.

Originally posted by XD~ View Post
              Where can we get one?

Comment

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
                The reason why it's not fitted as Explorer II is not a diving watch. The glidelock with easy adjustments is meant for catering different diving suits, I guess. Moreover, Rolex may wish to make glidelock as a distinct features for Sub.

In any case, as long as the clasp fits, we can do whatever we want. I was planning to buy the jubliee bracelet and fit it onto a GMT-Master II. Thanks for sharing!
                hmmm... jubilee bracelet can fit?

do post a pic after you fitted the jubilee.... am curious how it looks like...

Comment

Thank u breit77.

Comment

Originally posted by XD~ View Post
                    Where can we get one?
                    I think someone is selling and shipping from overseas in the watch accessories forum. But it's not cheap. Yes... Sometime I jut
                    Feel that it will be a good addition to my Daytona and gmt2 but well the glide thingy make submariners special!

Comment

I haven't done it, was planning it last time. But I did see someone in US tried that on timezone.com. He bought a new jubilee bracelet and fitted onto the GMT. It looks nice as it resembles old GMT on jubilee bracelet.

Originally posted by ae121 View Post
                      hmmm... jubilee bracelet can fit?

do post a pic after you fitted the jubilee.... am curious how it looks like...

Comment

Apparently RSC don't modify the glide lock onto the exp II. Can understand they want to keep it original. There must be else where they can do it for you. I just got a black n white face at the same time. I think I've gone MAD.

Comment

How much is it?

Comment

They didn't even entertain me with the pricing. It was a straight 'no no' to mix different parts of different models - almost sinful. Lol. I browsed through on the net briefly. Thought I saw £900. I could be wrong but I suspect it's not much cheaper. I would just settle with the original and stay 'pure'. The 'easy link' releases a couple of mm. Useful in our local heat when our wrists expands. Unless someone has great deal to change it, I'll surrender for the moment.

Comment

For the ones who asked where to obtain one, PM me. It is somewhat of a convoluted source. Be prepared for sticker shock and somewhat of a wait (mine took three months...).

-Sheldon

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X