Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just to share, i just got myself a pre-owned, z series explorer 2 with black face. watch was in superb condition with cert and packaging. very pleased with my first rolex! woohooooo!

Comment

• Originally posted by jamester View Post
      just to share, i just got myself a pre-owned, z series explorer 2 with black face. watch was in superb condition with cert and packaging. very pleased with my first rolex! woohooooo!
      enjoy your new watch.
      Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

• Congratulations! Some pics to share with us of you can.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• sure, will do so once I've the chance! wifey a bit displeased I got myself a watch so i've to be a bit stealth...

Comment

sure, will do so once I've the chance! wifey a bit displeased I got myself a watch so i've to be a bit stealth...
            Just be careful.
            Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

sure, will do so once I've the chance! wifey a bit displeased I got myself a watch so i've to be a bit stealth...
              I have similar situation as you. But after "breaking the news" to her, now she seems quite fond of my Rolex

Best of luck!
              Simplicity, an encapsulation of complexity.

Comment

• just to check, which series onwards does the Exp 2 have the chapter ring?

Comment

• I believe it's the last batch of 'Z' series.
                  The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Just got my black face explorer II on 260709 together with wifey's pearl DJ......

Comment

• Share pics

.. if you can.
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Juz got my Explorer II....

Comment

• The Holy Grail of Explorer 2s...?

Originally posted by minusplus View Post
                          If I am not wrong, there's some background to this particular model. Somehow it is considered to be some error production by Rolex and it's extremely rare now thus very collectible.
                          ...is the "error" edition 16550 with ivory dial and yellowing hour markers (with silver rings and not black rings) and aligned words of both lower sentences "Superlative Chronometer" and "Officially Certified". Mkt dropped to S$16.5 liao. But the confusion over this "investment" is over the 2 versions floating around : 1. with ivory dial and ivory markers, 2. with white dial and orange markers plus orange hands.

Reference is here : http://bjsonline.com/watches/articles/0016.shtml

Extract : If one enquires from The Rolex Watch Company about the so called "Cream/Ivory" dial Explorer II Ref 16550, the company will tell you that it does not exist. So if it does not exist then what is all the fuss about?

Well, unintentionally, it does exist. I say unintentionally because in reality the dial colour was supposed to be white, but due to some fault in the paint used by the Rolex watch Company, the dial left the factory as cream or Ivory colour. Thus the Cream/Ivory colour Explorer II was born. They were made in the mid 1980's, probably from 1984 to 1986, with either a 8 or 9 million serial number and only a small quantity of watches were actually sold. The reason for this was quite simple: they were not popular at all. This Model Reference also came in a black dial version and later on in a white dial version (1986-1988).

In recent years, Rolex Collectors have been chasing the price of this model, driving it higher and ever higher. As with most things in life, as the price and demand of an article rises, fraudsters move in to take advantage of the less knowledgeable and easy preys. Many White dialled Explorer II Ref 16550 have been "converted" to the rarer Cream/Ivory colour model simply by focusing a ray of hot light or even sun light for long periods on to the dial.

The pics shown by Christies the auctioneers looks weird :

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/Z...51585/D5158570

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”
                          Abraham Lincoln (American 16th US President from1861-65, who brought about the emancipation of slavery from 1809-1865).

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
                          Watch your words, for they become actions.
                          Watch your actions, for they become habits.
                          Watch your habits, for they become character.
                          Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Comment

• Got my first ROLEX watch Explorer II on 09/09/09

Comment

• Congratulations!

Hope to see some pics of it.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Originally posted by nave View Post
                                Got my first ROLEX watch Explorer II on 09/09/09
                                Congrats! My pair of Exp-IIs say hi ...

运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X