This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Just bought my 1st rolex recently. (the explorer 214270)
      Think the honeymoon period will be a long time coming
      Personally, after reading so many posts and so many review. I personally think that
      the so called "shorter hands" doesn't really matter. Hardly notice it. All comes down to personal taste i think.
      Next on my list would be the sub. In good time

Comment

• Dear All, this is my first posting here. Pls be gentle on me
        For those who bought the 14270 over 114270 or vice versa, can kindly share your preference or reasons pls? Im considering to buy either. Saw a 114270 at Chinatown around $4.3k while a 14270 at the garage here at $3.7k. Will you also kindly advise what are the few important things I should ask or look out for?

Thanks and appreciate.
        Gem

Comment

• I'll try to share some limited knowledge I have:

The older Explorer model (14270) used a 'Cal. 3000' movement while the 114270 used a 'Cal. 3130'. Both are good movements. I believe also they have different types of bracelets? That is the older one did not have the 'SELs' (solid end links). This comes down to personal preference if you like the SEL or non-SEL type of bracelet.

Another obvious visual difference is that the 14270 comes only in tritium indexes. Hence, by now, there should not be any lume left and in some cases, the indexes might have 'patina'ed' (or turned pale yellow). The 114270 uses both luminova (earlier batches) and superluminova. IIRC, the change from tritium to the newer materials happened around 1998.

Also, the newer 114270, ie around 'Z'(2006-07)/'M'(2007-08) series onwards, came with the engraved rehaut. The 14270 didn't have.

So far, can?
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Dear all,

I would like to check with forumers with the 216570 exp 2. Will the bezel get visible scratch marks easily and lark seg(drop colour)?
            I intend to consider this watch or a GMTc for daily usage. Thanks

Comment

• My thanks might come in late as all my postings gona go thru moderation.

Thanks Oceanklassik for your great information, can can... very can!! Hmm the patina'ed thingy seems alittle bothersome. Given the price difference, what would be your personal choise then?

Thanks,
              Gem

Comment

• Originally posted by Gem08 View Post
                My thanks might come in late as all my postings gona go thru moderation.

Thanks Oceanklassik for your great information, can can... very can!! Hmm the patina'ed thingy seems alittle bothersome. Given the price difference, what would be your personal choise then?

Thanks,
                Gem
                This is 'tough' to choose. I like vintage watches to a certain extent but it would not be easy to find one in reasonable condition, in a full set. Moreover even if there's one, the price may be high too. And not to forget, there's the higher probability of higher maintenance costs for an older watch.

I do not mind getting a 14270 but I will give priority to a 114270 first. The newer the better, of course. And better with the engraved rehaut.

Just personal preference
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                  This is 'tough' to choose. I like vintage watches to a certain extent but it would not be easy to find one in reasonable condition, in a full set. Moreover even if there's one, the price may be high too. And not to forget, there's the higher probability of higher maintenance costs for an older watch.

I do not mind getting a 14270 but I will give priority to a 114270 first. The newer the better, of course. And better with the engraved rehaut.

Just personal preference
                  Just gota thanks you again! Understand thats your personal preference, but it surely its a very good advise I shall adopt.

Thanks and very much appreciated,
                  Gem

Comment

• swapped to this leather strap... loving it

will find time to file the endlinks from George and try out

Comment

• Hi guys.

Since this is on exp, I got a qn for you guys..

I saw an exp2 16570 Y-series (w pinhole) and SEL. But I was reluctant to pull the trigger cos' the bracelet is AB serial. AB is in 2000, right?
                      Is this safe for me to buy?

Also, to make matters worse, the underside of the bracelet (the part where the bracelet meets the lugs), is fully covered (ie, you cannot see the spring bar head from the back of the watch). The only way to remove the bracelet is via the pinhole.

Need help here guys.

Thanks.

Comment

• For me I won't buy a Rolex that the series number is not match with the bracelet.

For spring bar is ok cause the original spring bar is not costly.

Comment

• Hi guys. C u guys know or not.

16570 T was engraved on e 12oclock. Stainless steel on e 6clock lug width

M series- QN: do u think is a fake?

Comment

• Dear All, this is my first posting here. Pls be gentle on me For those who bought the 14270 over 114270 or vice versa, can kindly share your preference or reasons pls? Im considering to buy either. Saw a 114270 at Chinatown around $4.3k while a 14270 at the garage here at $3.7k. Will you also kindly advise what are the few important things I should ask or look out for?

Thanks and appreciate.
                            Gem

If the price difference is not too great, I suggest you go with 114270. The SEL, upgraded bracelet, newer movement and lume already worth the price difference. 4.3k with box and papers?
                            Live not the Past, the Future but the Present.

Comment

• thanks for the reply heng tin hong.

i wasn't saying about the spring bar. i was saying about the link that attaches itself to the springbar...
                              this link, when viewed from the underside, does not expose the spring bar ends. so you cannot use a tool to remove the bracelet that way.
                              need to remove the springbar via the pinholes on the case.
                              and again, it's a y-series exp2.

i hope im clearer now?

Comment

• Thanks a thousand for your reply Dunbine. yeah 114270 $4.3k comes with paper only and with shop warranty. 14270 $3.7k is from a private collector. Both not asked for discount and both are ready for rsc authentication at own cost. assuming both can still give discount, price difference between both will likely still be between $5-600. Or maybe you and any members here can also very kindly advise your opinions in the price gap such that you might choose the 14270 please?

Thanks,
                                Gem

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X