This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jasdev View Post
    Hi, im 23 and thinking of getting my first rolex after selling my tag. Looking at pre own as its cheaper and easier to appreciate. Looking at rolex explorer 2 polar. Is it a good idea? For investment purpose as well.
    Looking at 8 to 12 years. Going ard price is 6.2k. Is that a lot for this watch. Thanks
    "Is it a good idea?" sounds wrong ... I think it's better to ask yourself if you really like the watch. There's no right/wrong. The Explorer II "POLAR" is a nice watch, whether you're referring to the older model (16570) or the current one (216570) . In any case, you should not be looking at 'investment purpose' for a watch. If you buy mainly for 'investment purpose', then the POLAR will not be it.

Happy shopping
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Investment?!

Don’t think EX2 Polar pre-owned is an investment. Unless you looking at keeping for 10 years & beyond

Comment

• Oo. I had always thought all rolex sports watch will at least keep their value. Any idea of a rolex that will at least keep their value?
        Heart pain to spend and the value drop like crazy after that

Comment

Oo. I had always thought all rolex sports watch will at least keep their value. Any idea of a rolex that will at least keep their value?
          Heart pain to spend and the value drop like crazy after that
          So I guess you are buying a ROLEX watch because of the 'value' more so than how much you actually like it. Well, then there are many factors to consider. Say for example, let's use the Daytona C, the current SS model in ceramic bezel, to explain. There's more potential for this model to "keep the value" but that is highly dependent on the price you are going to pay for it.

Currently, it retails at $16,660; sells (by non-AD/grey dealers) at between 24K and 26K; and has high potential 'value'. So, even if this model appreciates to like 20K in a decade, won't you be still losing 'value', if you'd bought it at 24K? Unless of course, you think it will appreciate up to 30K in the same period of time. You want to take a gamble and buy now at 24K? Similarly, the HULK (Submariner C LV) now retails at $12,150. Non-ADs and grey dealers are selling between 14K and 15K. You want to take a gamble?

If 'value' is what you are after, and taking into consideration current situation, try target one of these SS models:

Current models in production
          - Daytona C
          - Submariner C LV "Hulk"
          - GMT-Master II C "Batman"

Discontinued models:
          - Daytona
          - Submariner LV "Kermit"
          - Submariner ND "two-liner"
          - GMT-Master II "stick dial" (with 3186 movement)
          - GMT-Master II "Pepsi" / "Coke" / "Black"
          - GMT-Master 16700
          - GMT-Master 1675
          Last edited by Oceanklassik; 04-02-18, 06:55 PM.
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
            So I guess you are buying a ROLEX watch because of the 'value' more so than how much you actually like it. Well, then there are many factors to consider. Say for example, let's use the Daytona C, the current SS model in ceramic bezel, to explain. There's more potential for this model to "keep the value" but that is highly dependent on the price you are going to pay for it.

Currently, it retails at $16,660; sells (by non-AD/grey dealers) at between 24K and 26K; and has high potential 'value'. So, even if this model appreciates to like 20K in a decade, won't you be still losing 'value', if you'd bought it at 24K? Unless of course, you think it will appreciate up to 30K in the same period of time. You want to take a gamble and buy now at 24K? Similarly, the HULK (Submariner C LV) now retails at $12,150. Non-ADs and grey dealers are selling between 14K and 15K. You want to take a gamble?

If 'value' is what you are after, and taking into consideration current situation, try target one of these SS models:

Current models in production
            - Daytona C
            - Submariner C LV "Hulk"
            - GMT-Master II C "Batman"

Discontinued models:
            - Daytona
            - Submariner LV "Kermit"
            - Submariner ND "two-liner"
            - GMT-Master II "stick dial" (with 3186 movement)
            - GMT-Master II "Pepsi" / "Coke" / "Black"
            - GMT-Master 16700
            - GMT-Master 1675

Hi thank you for the write up. Understand more now. Thank you fir also providing us with ur thoughts on which rolex may rise in value. Definitely it would cost more than 10k sgd for one of those watches. Im on a little budget though. Like honestly batman looks dam awesome and i know people are after that.
            So my thinking is like this. Rolex explorer 2 16570 may rise in price after 5 to 10 years cause demand may rise due to its price point, uniqueness like the polar, history and it being not so popular now. I am not sure whether my thinking is right. Im trying to get ny spotting right as that is the key in investing. Also we need to get it at the lowest price possible.

Mind sharing why do u think hulk or batman may rise in future?

Also are pawn shops generally cheaper? What are the dra2backs getting it from a pawnshop? Like honestly after getting it from a pawnshop and u want to sell to another watch shop, nobody will know where u got it from.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi thank you for the write up. Understand more now. Thank you fir also providing us with ur thoughts on which rolex may rise in value. Definitely it would cost more than 10k sgd for one of those watches. Im on a little budget though. Like honestly batman looks dam awesome and i know people are after that.
              So my thinking is like this. Rolex explorer 2 16570 may rise in price after 5 to 10 years cause demand may rise due to its price point, uniqueness like the polar, history and it being not so popular now. I am not sure whether my thinking is right. Im trying to get ny spotting right as that is the key in investing. Also we need to get it at the lowest price possible.

Mind sharing why do u think hulk or batman may rise in future?

Also are pawn shops generally cheaper? What are the dra2backs getting it from a pawnshop? Like honestly after getting it from a pawnshop and u want to sell to another watch shop, nobody will know where u got it from.

Thank you.
              "Rolex explorer 2 16570 may rise in price after 5 to 10 years cause demand may rise due to its price point, uniqueness like the polar, history and it being not so popular now."

This is anybody's guess. No one (unless the ones who make decisions in ROLEX HQ) knows which exact model(s) will/not appreciate in price over time. The demand for specific model(s) is purely driven by the market. What may be very popular today, may wither away in the coming years, and vice versa. I can't tell you if the Explorer II will 'rise' definitely. It's a gamble you can consider to take.

As for the HULK and BATMAN, there's no sure thing. If ROLEX decides to stop producing them this year or next, then likely the price will go up. If these two models remain regular productions in the next few years, and if ROLEX increases the quantity, then you may see a decline/decrease in popularity, and of course, a lower price point in the pre-owned market.

Nothing particularly right/wrong in getting your watch from the pawnshop. Just have to do your due diligence in checking what you buy. Whether or not people know where you got the watch from is all dependent on you. As long you don't tell, don't show (receipt) no one should know.
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• 16570 with 3186 movement price increases

16570 with 3186 movement price increases a lot lately. Does shifu here have any idea how much higher it will go?
                Thanks.

Comment

• Came across this article about the history of the Explorer. A good read.
                  http://rolexpassionreport.com/25605/...edition-rolex/

Comment

• Hi elders,
                    Planning to get an explorer in sg. Does somebody know the price? Is it difficult to get in local AD?
                    Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by weihuantan View Post
                      Hi elders,
                      Planning to get an explorer in sg. Does somebody know the price? Is it difficult to get in local AD?
                      Thanks.
                      Best to call the AD first to avoid making a wasted trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowspeeder View Post

Best to call the AD first to avoid making a wasted trip.
                        Thanks for the advise will call the AD 1st.

Comment

• Originally posted by weihuantan View Post
                          Hi elders,
                          Thanks.
                          If you're referring to the 214270 (Explorer), it retails at SGD$8,770, at the ADs. It does not come with discount anymore. For this model, stocks were mostly available so it will not be any issue getting it at the moment.

If you're referring to the 216570 (Explorer II), it retails at SGD$10,880. Similarly, it does not come with discount. And for this model, there was practically no stock and had been so for several months here. I'm not sure about now but you may get lucky.

Good luck
                          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post

If you're referring to the 214270 (Explorer), it retails at SGD$8,770, at the ADs. It does not come with discount anymore. For this model, stocks were mostly available so it will not be any issue getting it at the moment.

If you're referring to the 216570 (Explorer II), it retails at SGD$10,880. Similarly, it does not come with discount. And for this model, there was practically no stock and had been so for several months here. I'm not sure about now but you may get lucky.

Good luck

The latest batch of 214270 Explorer 1 should come with "long hands" - just to take note in case (I hope not) the AD sell you a old new stock with the "short" hands 214270

Another sign is the 3-6-9 of new batch should have illum.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• My Explorer 2 16570 Z-series green illum is not as bright as when I first bought in 2007.

If I send to RSC for servicing can they help to "brighten or replace" the illum or I need to change the whole dial ?

How much would a new dial cost nowadays ?

Really appreciate some advise.....

Comment

• Hi.. hope i can ans you.. I just got my watch to RSC for service and told them my lume not bright and the ans from them is to change the dial.. Cheers

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X