Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on aquisition of Vintage Rolexes

Good day to all bros,

I've always been intrigued with the curiousity associated with these oldies and the fact that for an prized object that keeps time, having been through and stood the test of time itself is just perfect. Although I've still yet to own my first vintage, I know I'm on my way to having a collection myself. Been on a lookout for a 1675 in good condition with papers, but I realized that these watches are selling for so much more than what it was purchased at. Some even selling at ridiculous prices.

Any bros out there that are vintage watch collectors themselves can give a rough summary of what to look out for in acquiring one? And I know it is a willing buyer willing seller market, but are there certain guidelines to which a vintage can be priced reasonably in this sentimental market? Please share with us!

Thank you for your time.

Originally posted by A-mike View Post
    Good day to all bros,

I've always been intrigued with the curiousity associated with these oldies and the fact that for an prized object that keeps time, having been through and stood the test of time itself is just perfect. Although I've still yet to own my first vintage, I know I'm on my way to having a collection myself. Been on a lookout for a 1675 in good condition with papers, but I realized that these watches are selling for so much more than what it was purchased at. Some even selling at ridiculous prices.

Any bros out there that are vintage watch collectors themselves can give a rough summary of what to look out for in acquiring one? And I know it is a willing buyer willing seller market, but are there certain guidelines to which a vintage can be priced reasonably in this sentimental market? Please share with us!

Thank you for your time.
    1st, vintages with papers are rare and commands a high premium. if your objective is to buy and wear and not lose $ (or make small $ in future), then buy one without paper.

1675 gmt were cheap 1 to 2 years ago, but prices have gone higher. supplies are always limited, not like rolex will make more of these vinatges in future.

even if you read up, you wont have the "applied" knowledge until you hold the watch/(many watches). Buy from collectors/or established shop with good reputation is best bet. Shops which sell commodities pieces to laymen are not exactly good sources too...
    Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
    Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
    GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
    GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
    DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
    DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
    , 18238 malachite
    DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
    AP 15300 Black
    Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
    GP 18k RG
    IWC Port 3714 Chrono
    Chronoswiss Skeleton
    Corum Bubble Lucifer

Comment

buy at the right price.

buy at the right price.

buy at the right price.

while it is common practice to buy the best you can afford... i say that if you are brave, don't be afraid to buy a fixer upper or wrongly customized watch - as long as the price is right and condition salvageable.

most of the common models, including the red subs, are not rare. do not be sucked into the hype that such watches now retail for $xxxx... do plenty of reading and research.

buy the seller, especially if it's overseas deal. i have no problems with sending watches back to such sellers before.

don't place too much emphasis on papers/trinkets. a watch is a watch. i would go for condition any day. papers are usually important only for unusual watches. if you did no overpay to begin with, you would not lose much money selling it on.

vintage parts are tougher to get now. RSC is the way forward, so learn to love your RSC.

make sure you know factor the price of a rolex service into your desired watch - that increased amount may buy you a recently serviced watch in much better condition (perhaps with change to spare) than a cheaper one needing some work. assume all older watches need a service unless there's paperwork to prove otherwise.

lastly... they are just watches. don't overthink it. if you like something... and can afford it... just do it.
      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by A-mike View Post
        Good day to all bros,

Thank you for your time.
        IMO vintage SS Rolex Sport Watches have cases made oof poorer quality SS. Check area between lugs, they will tend to show rust n pitting.

Comment

Choose the model, do some research from the net, check the average selling prices across the net and shop and get the best possible condition you can find. Send to Rolex for service to get a service certificate if you need reassurance..

Comment

reputable collector or dealer

Originally posted by minimerc View Post
            even if you read up, you wont have the "applied" knowledge until you hold the watch/(many watches). Buy from collectors/or established shop with good reputation is best bet. Shops which sell commodities pieces to laymen are not exactly good sources too...
            These two sentences are so true. Having read a lot, nothing beats handling a vintage watch in its physical self. Absolutely nothing. No amount of reading will complete your knowledge of a particular model till you go out and handle/touch/feel one.

And yes, buying from a knowledgeable or reputable collector or dealer will give you the assurance that the parts matches up nicely. In fact, it adds credential to your timepieces when it is time to let go (for something else of course! we should not stop buying vintage!) I have spoken to a few "well known" dealers who do not know exactly if their vintage pieces match up correctly. And there are not that many in Singapore who are competent enough in this aspect. very few indeed...

Comment

x2

Originally posted by taxico View Post
              if you did no overpay to begin with, you would not lose much money selling it on..
              x2

Comment

contrasting views on papers/certs...but i guess you can factor in the price with and without.

i've asked a local watch shop that does a lot of business and to them the paper and box commands a $200-300 premium, and all the valuation is in the watch condition, rarity etc.

so i guess taxico is right about paying the correct price in the first place. the question is then for vintages what is the right price? sometimes there seems to be a surge in prices linked to a similar new watch launch.

Comment

Originally posted by metalgear View Post
                  sometimes there seems to be a surge in prices linked to a similar new watch launch.
                  x2.. look at the GMT Master II 16710, especially those with the Pepsi insert. The prices have gone up by 3% to 5% after the launch of the GMT-C Pepsi WG within a few months. Compare that to when GMT-C 116710 LN was first launched, it was still within most folks' reach and hence I did not see the prices of 16710 climbed as fast and high. It was gradual over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by metalgear View Post
                    ...the question is then for vintages what is the right price?
                    this... depends on the watch itself and how many pictures you are able to obtain, and perhaps, how badly you want the watch.

i know some people who are impatient for a watch and are happy to pay higher than average prices - some buyers get lucky and get a good piece. others are not so lucky and get a problematic piece.

there are more than a few collectors here that can help you - don't be afraid to post here or on other "international" forums (those that allow you to discuss pricing) to get some help.

some times, you might even be told categorically why you should avoid the watch in question.

don't be too quick to "need the watch" - take your time and ask as many questions as possible. sometimes a great deal may pass you by... but it's just a watch; not the end of the world.
                    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by shou.biao.kuang View Post
                      These two sentences are so true. Having read a lot, nothing beats handling a vintage watch in its physical self. Absolutely nothing. No amount of reading will complete your knowledge of a particular model till you go out and handle/touch/feel one.

And yes, buying from a knowledgeable or reputable collector or dealer will give you the assurance that the parts matches up nicely. In fact, it adds credential to your timepieces when it is time to let go (for something else of course! we should not stop buying vintage!) I have spoken to a few "well known" dealers who do not know exactly if their vintage pieces match up correctly. And there are not that many in Singapore who are competent enough in this aspect. very few indeed...
                      So true , so true.

Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by shou.biao.kuang View Post

x2.. look at the GMT Master II 16710, especially those with the Pepsi insert. The prices have gone up by 3% to 5% after the launch of the GMT-C Pepsi WG within a few months. Compare that to when GMT-C 116710 LN was first launched, it was still within most folks' reach and hence I did not see the prices of 16710 climbed as fast and high. It was gradual over the years...
                        Hi! If you look at prices over the last 10 years, sports models have gone up in prices and continues to appreciate every year. Vintage Rolexes are no longer a "old man's" hobby but instead it is being acquired by certain trust funds group just like cars and wines now. However, a lot of research have to be done before "diving" into the vintage world since there are fake vintage watches out there. For the price people are willing to pay, the counterfeiters will go through the trouble to produce these fakes.

Comment

My interests in vintage Rolexes started when I inherited a 1951 18K gold semi bubble back model 6092 with original box and papers and price tag. I started looking for another similar model in Melbourne. I found another one and bought it off a reputable dealer in 1993 for my second son.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X